The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First paying photo gig  (Read 4333 times)

Bear

• Curious Bear
First paying photo gig
« on: August 22, 2006, 04:11:48 pm »

My wife is a "special correspondant"* for the local paper. The first story she was assigned
to cover was an open house sponsored by the "Lake of the Sky Garden Club". The story
has already run, but they put many of the pictures we submitted into their photo gallery.

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=TT

Click on the thumbnail of stone stairs captioned "Lake of the Sky Garden Club".

She get's the photo credit for all of the shots since she had submitted her paperwork
beforehand, and I tagged along as an after thought. However, shots 1,3,6,7 and 8
are mine, 2,4, and 5 are Sue's.

Getting published is gratifying, but I am looking forward to the paycheck too!

Bear

*Not salaried, paid piece-work.
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

Lightning

• Heheheh...
Re: First paying photo gig
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 04:23:17 pm »

Lovely!

Congrats to you both!   :mellow:
I'm damn well free to dance through life even if 'they' expect me to cringe and crawl.

"Your life is an occasion.  Rise to it."  --Dustin Hoffman as Mr. Magorium, in Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

Dare2BFree

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 11:44:02 am »

Congrats Bear!  They look wonderful.
If I had known that these days would have changed my life - I would have dressed better.   ~ me

No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.  ~ Judge Gideon J. Tucker

Jac

• CPC? I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you...
    • http://www.russmo.com
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 12:05:00 pm »

Great photos, Bear... I really like #3, with the statue.
I have never regretted that I chose to "take the red pill." But there are days, just rarely, when the truth is so ugly, so brutal, so unmerciful, so relentless, that even if I wouldn't rip the truth from the wall socket and hurl it out the window to crash on the sidewalk below, I wouldn't mind if it featured a snooze button so we could savor just a few more moments in slumbered pretension and warm, fuzzy lies pulled snugly up over our heads.
--PSM

ozarkrambler

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 12:27:45 pm »

Kudos,

Tis the dream of everyone Isn't it. , To actually earn by doing something you love.  The pix are great, I especially liked the pond. Now if I could just get paid for walking in the woods and fishing, that would be wonderful.

Happy Trails,

rambler

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 03:07:34 pm »

Thanks guys,

It is a fun sort of work. The idea behind the photos was to show garden
details specific to what the club is doing. Sometimes we got the details
and got an 'arty' picture too. My goal was to make it difficult for the
editor to choose which pictures to use. I think this is what happened,
as many of the pictures in the archive didn't make it into the original
story. :)

There is an open house at the train museum in Portola, CA, this weekend.
I'll have to get a program to capture the details of what's what, since
train geeks seem to be hung up on the details. :rolleyes:

Bear
-- Bear

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 10:18:45 pm »

Thanks guys,

It is a fun sort of work. The idea behind the photos was to show garden
details specific to what the club is doing. Sometimes we got the details
and got an 'arty' picture too. My goal was to make it difficult for the
editor to choose which pictures to use. I think this is what happened,
as many of the pictures in the archive didn't make it into the original
story. :)

There is an open house at the train museum in Portola, CA, this weekend.
I'll have to get a program to capture the details of what's what, since
train geeks seem to be hung up on the details. :rolleyes:

Bear

Not to want to sidetrack things too much,  but...

I was in some sort of a "train museum" (?) in CA once,  and it's been really bugging me since I can't remember where the hell it was!  They had an old steam engine,  and several other cars,  each sitting on its own section of track,  including a caboose,  in a sort of a small park.  The best part of it was,  when I wandered in there I got to talking to this old guy that was there and here it turns out that it was _his_ engine that was sitting there.  And he took me on a tour of some of the cars,  including one that had all sorts of fancy fixtures and woodwork,  had apparently been built for some railroad company executive-types and subsequently used by some presidents or other,  gold faucets in the bathrooms and all sorts of stuff like that.  And he fed me some ice cream.  :-)

He also had a neat photo album full of train pics which included such things as "The California Zephyr" and similar stuff.

This was ages ago,  and for some reason my mind keeps thinking "Oakland" but I don't really remember spending all that much time in Oakland,  so I can't be sure.  And I've been unable to find a reference to this anywhere since then...

Anybody ever heard of anything like this?
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

coloradohermit

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 10:43:38 pm »

Very nice! I see the talent runs in the family.  My particular favorite is the egret statue with the shadow centered perfectly on it's tail.  Who knew there was such pretty scenery in the Reno area?  or is it camera magic?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

What luck for rulers that men do not think. - Adolf Hitler

Lead, follow or get out of the way.

lewlew

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 12:27:14 am »

Yay Bear and Mrs. Bear!  If you look at the article your missus wrote http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060808/TT/608080306/1047, I do believe that someone else's name is given in the photo credits  :mellow:.  Yay!

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 09:50:59 am »

Yay Bear and Mrs. Bear!  If you look at the article your missus wrote http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060808/TT/608080306/1047, I do believe that someone else's name is given in the photo credits  cool.  Yay!

Well, I think we've lost our 'secret squirel status'. Sue is my missus. She got the photo credit since she intended to do the
photos originally and submitted the paperwork for work-for-hire photography. I submitted my paperwork after the shoot,
but to get to press on time they just credited her with all of the photos. Not a biggy. I do expect my photos for the next
stories ought to get a proper by line.

She (we?) got paid by the paper yesterday for all of the August work. It will cover half of our winter's firewood and one month's
electric and water bill. Not a bad begining!

(edit in)

Dare2befree, Lightning,

Thank you for your kind comments. I had fun doing it. I'm wondering if I've stumbled on to my next vocation. :)

Jac,

the sculpture was a surprise to me. I wasn't expecting any. I do think there is a story behind the statue of the girl
kneeling by the flowers. The owner of the house wasn't there, so I couldn't ask what it was about. It's a nice photo, but
I can't help but wonder if I could have done a better job on that one. By the time we got to that house I was pretty tired,
and I just setup what seemed like a good 'pose' for the statue, made sure flowers were in the background and took the
shot.

Ozarkrambler,

Take your camera next time and see what happens. Newspapers like local color shots. In fact, when I go through
the Photographer's Market, I find a lot of magazines and quarterlies want only local color. You'd be surprised.

Roy,

I don't think we're going to make it to the train museum this weekend. We have a pretty full plate. Instead we will
be working on a story about a riding stable that's closing. Maybe I'll get some good horse photos (I can hope!). I also
discovered that there is another train museum in Carson City. I'm thinking that between the Portola and Carson museums,
and the live steam engines in Virginia City, there is probably enough material for a few calendars.

Coloradohermit,

actually this is in the Sierra Nevada mountains West of Reno. I like the egret too. I'm kicking myself for not taking more shots
of it. About the shadow - that was luck. No Photoshop involved. I think I could have gotten better pictures of the koi fish in the
ponds (two  houses had koi ponds), but I didn't have the time to spend waiting for them to swim into the perfect arrangement.

Lewlew,

Thanks for the diversion, but I think I'm 'outed' by the copyright notice on the earlier photographs! :)

Bear
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 11:16:28 am by Bear »
-- Bear

coloradohermit

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 05:25:02 pm »

I didn't have the time to spend waiting for them to swim into the perfect arrangement.
How totally inconsiderate of them!  :rolleyes:
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

What luck for rulers that men do not think. - Adolf Hitler

Lead, follow or get out of the way.

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 05:30:44 pm »

I didn't have the time to spend waiting for them to swim into the perfect arrangement.
How totally inconsiderate of them! 

Nah, they were just being koi.. :laugh:

Bear
-- Bear
Pages: [1]   Go Up