The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera Blinding With Lasers  (Read 9039 times)

unstructuredreality

Camera Blinding With Lasers
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2004, 11:12:37 am »

After your pickup baseball game- lose or win, a bat would come in handy on a target of opportunity that was low enough.  In most areas they are on the light poles- or decoy light poles and telephone poles.  So if one were to use that option, get a uniform, a van, and a set of "tools".
I had a friend back in the eighth grade who had a nice pellet gun and he'd shoot things like cameras.  

Good Day
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 11:13:03 am by unstructuredreality »

Dull'Hawk

• DullHawk.com
    • dullhawk.com
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2004, 12:42:26 pm »

Do we differentiate between private property cameras such as an ATM cam, and a traffic cam?  I would hope so.  Also, I am not certain, but I think we have traffic cams here in Gunny, now.  Something has been added to the tops of the traffic signals at the main intersection in the 3 years I was gone.  Looks like cams to me, but they are so high off the ground I would hafta be able to fly to really check them out.  I carry a spyglass on my belt all the time, but it draws a lot of attention when I whip it out to check something.  This being the busiest spot in town, it would be hard to do without being noticed.  It is a "catch .22" situation.   ;)  

Kent
Kent For Liberty

Firefly militia: millions strong, one at a time.

Declaration of Liberation: I hereby withdraw any and all consent (if, indeed, consent was ever given) to be subject to the whims of the murderous, criminal collective known as "government".

unstructuredreality

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2004, 01:10:10 pm »

Drive through Oakland County Michigan, surely many others, and while you're enjoying the sites- Home Depot, Somerset Mall, Borders Books- look up.  Every intersection, has 4 cameras pointing directly down at the lanes on each side.  They are white in color and are mounted on the traffic signal poles.  I'd ballpark estimate close to 15,000 cameras installed and hooked to the control center.  Originally, back in 1993 Oakland County got Federal money from DOT for the pilot project in a city called Troy.  The goal was to increase traffic flow through the busy shopping and freeway exchange area there.   Well mission creep set in and every community in the county has their share- might I add at taxpayer expense. I might add that no perceivable difference in traffic flow can be noticed today.  While most do not record, some do and the information is stored digitally and timestamped.  There are cries to get all of them recording all of the time everytime an Amber Alert interrupts what I'm watching or listening to, which seems to be everyday.  Also, listening to the cops and police chiefs, every time a big crime occurs they roll out some video from somewhere and if they don't have the video they say things like "if we just had video cameras surveilling the area, we'd have got that rapist".
I actually don't mind private cameras but most, particularily around banks, parking lots of Target or Walmart, get under my skin.  They will not hesitate to turn those tapes over to LE without a subpeona.  I have a problem with the vast storage capabilities we have now and the constant recording of the video.  Private owners can record for a day and then delete it.  Who knows who does this and who doesn't, but I know for a fact some big box retailers, some mentioned above, keep the videos indefinately.  I personally don't shop at those places because I feel like I've walked into jail.  I don't like to shop at jails although some prison gift shops have interesting things in them, but that's what they are to me- Prison gift shops and if the cameras go away, I'll be happier and spend more money there.
Also it is a false argument to say that they prevent shoplifting simply because of manpower.  In my "younger" days I worked at a box store with cameras at every turn, zoom capabilities, full color.  This place sold CD's.  At the end of the day when we'd clean up for the morning shift, we'd find dozens of cd cases in various corners of the store every single day.  We took extra steps to find and watch the blind spots, but again, dozens more would pop up somewhere else.  The best security is physical security.  Shrinkage can be lowered by simply hiring the right people and interacting well with your customers.

Good Day
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 04:32:26 pm by unstructuredreality »

old marine

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2004, 10:54:56 pm »

Also, I am not certain, but I think we have traffic cams here in Gunny, now.  Something has been added to the tops of the traffic signals at the main intersection in the 3 years I was gone.  Looks like cams to me, but they are so high off the ground I would hafta be able to fly to really check them out.  I carry a spyglass on my belt all the time, but it draws a lot of attention when I whip it out to check something.  This being the busiest spot in town, it would be hard to do without being noticed.  It is a "catch .22" situation.   ;)  

Kent
I've got the same problem.
The only reason they still stand is I can't really see them being cameras as they are not on all of the polls and don't really look to be in the most effective place to be cameras.
It should be known that I am extremely pro-traffic sensor coming from a town that had none I'm tired of waiting at stop lights when no on else is there just me and the cop behind me.
So any suggestions on how to determine if these are cameras or not without drawing a lot of attention?

kbarrett

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2004, 11:24:05 pm »

CO2 lasers?
Why not just bash them to hell with a baseball bat and let folks know in no uncertain terms that such actions will lead to violent retaliation?

Why use technology when good old fashioned violence does the job better and sends a powerful message to boot?
Bite me!

I wanna laser pistol.

Then I can claim to own tech level 8 weapons.

The psychology of “Projection”:  If you want to run people’s lives for them, then you will probably assume that any armed person wants to do the same to you. Scratch a victim-disarmament supporter, and you will always discover a fear-ridden control-freak.

unstructuredreality

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2004, 11:30:52 pm »

http://www.pelco.com/products/camerasite/e...es/outdoor.aspx

should get you started, they are one of the largest sellers of these types of surveillance cameras.
http://www.observingsurveillance.org/exhib...ics_091202.html
http://www.rheinneckarinfo.net/kameras-weg...avi/uefotos.htm

Nice essay from MIT on surveillance detection etc.
http://web.mit.edu/gtmarx/www/tack.html

http://www.observingsurveillance.org/gallery.html

And finally a slide show of various types of police surveillance cameras here:
http://observingsurveillance.us/cgi-bin/show.pl

Enjoy

old marine

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2004, 02:03:03 am »

Thanks Un,
Damn you are good!!!!!!!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up