The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Accidental Gardening  (Read 6177 times)

debra

Accidental Gardening
« on: October 13, 2006, 02:25:47 pm »

We tend to toss organic waste into a compost pile (which is also what our gray water feeds into). Or else we'll just bury in places where someday we'd like a garden. :D Last year we accidentally grew a Roma tomato plant by this method. This year: canteloup!

http://www.tcftalk.com/images/canteloup.jpg

Ain't it pretty? Of course, it started late in the season, so although there are several baseball-size babies on the vine, this is probably the only one we'll get a chance to eat.

mutti

• Mutti
Re: Accidental Gardening
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 02:39:35 pm »

Yum! We did that one year and had a sweet potato the size of my DH's head!

Pickle the ones that don't turn the color in time. It is in "Fancy Pantry" under melon balls.

Mutti
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

debra

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 02:42:21 pm »

Cool! Thanks for that tip! :thumbsup:

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 03:07:59 pm »

Yep! I like to think of food as my forte....I gotta work that in a title somehow....

maybe "Mutti...Food is her Forte" or her forte is food.....oh man too much canning lately...I'll think about it as I milk...

Mutti
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

Jac

• CPC? I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you...
    • http://www.russmo.com
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 06:05:25 pm »

Mmm... that's a tasty lookin' rock-mellon. :drool:
I have never regretted that I chose to "take the red pill." But there are days, just rarely, when the truth is so ugly, so brutal, so unmerciful, so relentless, that even if I wouldn't rip the truth from the wall socket and hurl it out the window to crash on the sidewalk below, I wouldn't mind if it featured a snooze button so we could savor just a few more moments in slumbered pretension and warm, fuzzy lies pulled snugly up over our heads.
--PSM

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 06:11:06 pm »

I was thinking "accidental gardening"  on the lines of a meadow that is by coincidence filled with wheat.  Or a patch of Cantaloupe growing over under that shady acorn oak.  Volunteer patches of corn and other stuff around the property.  A long desrted farm with food growing around.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

lewlew

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 05:31:36 pm »

Did any more of the cantaloupes get big enough to harvest?  Your picture is gorgeous.

We had two volunteer tomato plants, some lemon balm, sweet allysum and a whole bunch of pumpkin plants. None of the pumpkins got bigger than a soccer ball, but that's okay.  We harvested a good amount of tomatoes off the "WFF-- Where did you come from?" plants, but they wouldn't ripen on the vine.  We placed them in a dark cupboard, and most of them are red and ready to eat now.

debra

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 05:35:17 pm »

Nope, the rest got no bigger than baseballs. OTOH, my golden retriever thought one of them *was* a ball, and was pleasantly surprised to find it canteloup-flavored. He ate an entire one, rind and all. :rolleyes:

lewlew

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 05:44:01 pm »

So next year, you may find some interesting places where cantaloupes spring up, through the help of your dog  ^_^.  Miss Virginia avoids most fruits and vegetables.

PintofStout

• Reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated
    • Murphy's Bye-Laws
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 08:55:00 am »

That cantelope looks delicious.  My grandfather used to fill one half with vanilla ice cream and go to town.  I don't get melon too often because my lovely wife is at risk of death for even being near it.  Her throat swells when touching it to prepare, or if there is even a slight residue where something else was prepared.  It has gotten bad enough that she carries an epipen for it now.

We had volunteer tomatoes in great abundance this year.  It was the second year for the garden, and we had to thin some out so the tomatoes we planted would survive.  We also had squash and some funky gourds from ones we smashed in a certain spot last year.  Those weren't volunteers so much as just lazy plantings.  Then we had a little of each in out compost pile.
One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity there ain't nothing can beat teamwork.
               Seldom Seen Smith of The Monkeywrench Gang by Edward Abbey

Check out my blog and tell me what you think: http://pintofstout.wordpress.com
I also have some poetry and non-political stuff here: http://anonymous.trout.googlepages.com

Rarick

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 09:28:24 pm »

p[ing
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 07:06:53 am »

Any particular reason for bringing up this old thread, Rarick? My garden is under two feet of snow right now... sigh
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Rarick

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 08:22:27 am »

summer pictures in the middle of winter?  some new folps around and it looked like it might be of intrest.
Pages: [1]   Go Up