The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pig Processing  (Read 2082 times)

mutti

• Mutti
Pig Processing
« on: October 19, 2006, 03:53:46 pm »

Neighbor of mine had some pigs to go for market. One he gave to us (he gets the majority of our after processing scraps that the chickens cannot consume in exchange for one pig for us in fall). So he says, "Would you buy another for 20 bucks?" Uh - yeah! Not only that, he drives the 20+ miles to deliver them to the market we like.

So live weight was 484 and processed weight was 369 (79.5% return) and total cost including butcher, double wrapping, smoking, casing, slicing et all was $264. Our total cost per pound: 72 cents. This is everything from headcheese to brats.

I really like getting a good deal. I know those of you who butcher your own probably can do all this for less - how much less? In this case the convience was a great factor.

Besides being a really clean facility, I can say "Hey can we avoid the MSG" and they don't add to mine (although I do get any residual from previous customers).

So tell me all of those who process your own - what do you think your cost is?

Mutti
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

scrachline

Re: Pig Processing
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 07:27:44 pm »

i do butchering - 72Cent a pound is sooooo cheap - i dont count my labor and i cant do it that cheap - help liftin - gas or wood stove heatin pot to scald - clean up the mess - strip the guts - butcher paper, plastic wrap  - help movin big animal to tree or whatever to cut -  on and on -geeez - i would gladly give somebody that money and then do my smokin and curin - lotsa manual labor involved doin that, unless you set up for a big time commercial operation and have lotsa mechanical equipment to help - just my thots - and one more thing it is a lotta lotta lotta manual labor werk.

coloradohermit

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 07:58:36 pm »

I'll second what scrachline said.  We butchered one. It was a small one(125 lbs live) that got a strangulated hernia and had to be done promptly. Even a small one was a ton of work, and we didn't do a very good job either. The 'cuts' you're accustomed to are not as easily recognizeable as you might think, even with book in hand. After that we always had them done professionally.  If you're really wanting to be sufficient and know how to butcher I'd recommend 2 things;
1. Practice with small/manageable ones til you get the hang of it.
2. Invest in a good meat saw.

The pigs we raised from piglets to butcher weight came in at about $2/ pound considering purchase price, feed and processing. That was 5 yrs ago, so would probably be higher these days.
    The best deal we found was on lamb. We'd buy a smallish young adult female for $35-40 at auction and the butcher had a flat rate of $40 to butcher it.  He'd even salt the skin for us to tan later.  You don't get as much meat, but if you like lamb, it's the best bang for your buck compared to store prices.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

What luck for rulers that men do not think. - Adolf Hitler

Lead, follow or get out of the way.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 02:16:34 pm »

See...that is why I ask these questions, such a great response. I have handled smaller animals (up to about 60 lbs), but I am not sure I am up to a larger hog.

Good news is that when kids and I went to pick up the meat, the butcher answered their questions and said, "Why don't we just show you our back room?" So the 6 yo, 10 yo and 16 yo go in and come back. "Its cool first they scald them..." yada yada from the kids all the way home. The 3 yo just wanted to see where they cut up the "meat" so we went off to a seperate area. "That's for stew right?" then he was off on a discussion with the butcher about how to gut a chicken.

There are days I like my life a bunch - yesterday was good.

Mutti
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

coloradohermit

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 02:41:13 pm »

See...that is why I ask these questions, such a great response. I have handled smaller animals (up to about 60 lbs), but I am not sure I am up to a larger hog.

Good news is that when kids and I went to pick up the meat, the butcher answered their questions and said, "Why don't we just show you our back room?" So the 6 yo, 10 yo and 16 yo go in and come back. "Its cool first they scald them..." yada yada from the kids all the way home. The 3 yo just wanted to see where they cut up the "meat" so we went off to a seperate area. "That's for stew right?" then he was off on a discussion with the butcher about how to gut a chicken.

There are days I like my life a bunch - yesterday was good.

Mutti
Maybe next time he'd let you all observe or even help. Get those puppies of yours skillful before they're old enough to get the  ' eeeeewwwwww's'.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

What luck for rulers that men do not think. - Adolf Hitler

Lead, follow or get out of the way.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 02:57:06 pm »

Maybe next time he'd let you all observe or even help. Get those puppies of yours skillful before they're old enough to get the  ' eeeeewwwwww's'.

I think it helped that the Main Butcher is a lady. And our "local food" shop butcher is a lady. And they help me butcher.

Why? Because the girls see that anything out there that they choose to do can be done by a female. Well, I won't say that is true. It can be done by a qualified female. Just like I didn't want to serve with "I broke a nail Suzie Q. of the upchuck society" when I was active in the military, it takes someone willing to do a good job to do a job right!

Mutti

Pages: [1]   Go Up