The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fun with power tools  (Read 3373 times)

Brenda

Fun with power tools
« on: November 06, 2006, 02:27:02 am »

For the past several months a friend has been teaching me metalworking in his machine shop. Recently he let me make one of three pieces he needed for a job; this is my first “real” machine shop project. The piece show below, when finished, will actually be incorporated into a telescope on the Mt. Graham observatory, which is pretty damn cool if I do say so myself.. It is aluminum and was shaped on a South Bend lathe.  I f’ed it up towards the end; while cutting the groove I used too much force, snapping the cutting tool in half and chipping the work, but he says the resulting piece is still usable.  Unfortunately I don’t have photos of the entire process, as I had my hands full with the lathe most of the time.

Raw material

Facing the end

Cutting off stock

Cutting off more

Produkt!

Bear

• Curious Bear
Re: Fun with power tools
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 10:04:21 pm »

Looks neat.

What is it for, and what will it do?

Bear
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

Brenda

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 11:16:56 pm »

What is it for, and what will it do?

It's a greasing tool. After the final step--drilling a hole perpendicular to the existing one--it will be placed somewhere inside the mechanism for moving a large telescope, where it will help distribute lube to other parts.

Mr. Inspector

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 12:50:04 am »

Cool

Brenda

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 12:17:40 am »

I was just talking to my machinist friend and he says that the proper name for the tool I made is "anular grease injector," which sounds absolutely filthy. In any context. I probably shouldn't even be admitting to that in public. 

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 04:21:06 am »

Well grease is like that.  Life is messy, sometimes you just gotta have fun making a mess :rolleyes:
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

Dave Polaschek

• Dave's Picks
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 06:52:23 am »

Instead of "annular grease injector" you could just call it a "high-tech zert gun".

Because that sounds so much... uh.... cleaner.

Ted Nielsen

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 11:52:08 pm »

I was just talking to my machinist friend and he says that the proper name for the tool I made is "anular grease injector," which sounds absolutely filthy. In any context. I probably shouldn't even be admitting to that in public. 

You spelled annular wrong.

Brenda

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 12:50:04 am »

You spelled annular wrong.

So now you're correcting my spelling? That's controlling. You could even call it...annular-retentive... :doh:
Pages: [1]   Go Up