The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Disabling Onstar  (Read 24997 times)

teotwawki

Disabling Onstar
« on: November 18, 2006, 10:50:14 am »

Well my Yukon has it.  And I want to disable it.  Has anyone done this?  Resources?

Mr. Dare

• Administrator
  • My Strawman will beat hell out of yours any day!
Re: Disabling Onstar
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 01:14:04 pm »

Step 1, don't pay for the service... I think you have a year "free" (you paid for it when you bought the vehicle) then there is an annual "subscription fee".
    Step 2, have the hardware removed. As far as I know, all the OnStar crap is located in one module (somewhere in the vehicle, used to be drivers side rear on the SUV's but they change it around) which can be disconnected, or even completely removed from the vehicle. The buttons up front are not where the module is though, so you will have to locate the module, or pay to have someone do it for you.
   Onstar also uses the built in cell phone (which they can also keep as far as I'm concerned), so you have to pay to keep that service as well if you want OnStar. Don't pay the phone bill and OnStar won't be able to communicate. As far as I know, there is no "back door surveillance component" to OnStar, BUT I don't trust it, because all the components are there, and there COLD be a back door I wasn't told about in mechanics school.
   I do know that the Engine Control Module, and the Body Control Module (which works the door locks), and the Air Bag Control Module for sure are two way communication/control connected to the OnStar system. They can remotely unlock you doors, access trouble codes and engine control data (like vehicle speed, and various other sensor values) and the Air Bag module is designed to automatically notify OnStar if the Airbags deploy.The GPS Cell phone tells them where you are, and they can call out the cavalry. Isn't that sweet... NOT!!!!
   If you have the module disconnected or removed completely, all of thesemodules, and probably some others, will have to be re-configured to no longer expect to see the OnStar Module, or they will flash the AirBag, Check Engine, and other warning lights because a communication fault is detected. Basically this is not an easy job, and requires several thousand dollars worth of equipment to turn all that shit off. It is possible they have made it a permanent "feature" which can't be turned off, but it wasn't always that way and I hope it still isn't. If it was "optional" it can probably be turned off, and the OnStar hardware removed.
   Now the worst news, the dealership is probably the only one with the equipment and knowledge to do this. The software for this module configuration is not going to be in an aftermarket "scan tool", so unless you know somebody who used to work for GM and bought their own factory diagnostic tool (about $3,500 bucks last time I checked) you are stuck with the dealer.
   Is your blood boiling yet? Mine has been for the past six years when they first came out with this shit. I don't recommend buying any vehicle that has stuff on it you don't want, because you will be stuck with it in most cases, or you have to pay an arm and a leg to have shit removed you didn't even want, but had to pay an arm and a leg for when you got the car to begin with.
   The auto manufacturers keep piling the shit on and will only stop it when people stop buying the cars. I personally would like to see them make a simple car again like the VW bug... 4 freaking wheels and a seat, it was tough as nails, and got you where you were going without all the bells and whistles. AND without a potential surveillance module on board...
"He's no fun, he fell right over!"
"I've got Deku Nuts coming outta my ass and I still can't kill this bastard!!!" (my sweet wife...)
"The road to Hell is paved with happy plans..."
"I do not avoid Twinkies, Duck, but I do deny them my essence." Joel

Phssthpok

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 01:25:33 pm »

I personally would like to see them make a simple car again like the VW bug... 4 freaking wheels and a seat, it was tough as nails, and got you where you were going without all the bells and whistles. AND without a potential surveillance module on board...

That's why I love my little Tonka truck....seen here hauling 1200lbs of China Diesel Generator!

Bought it for $500, rebuilt the front end and replaced the engine. She'll haul well over 1/2 ton all day long and get over 20MPG doing it!

Mr. Dare

• Administrator
  • My Strawman will beat hell out of yours any day!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 01:28:42 pm »

:thumbsup: No OnStar on that puppy! Great Choice Phssthpok! Probably cost you less to rebuild that front end than it will cost to have an OnStar module removed...
"He's no fun, he fell right over!"
"I've got Deku Nuts coming outta my ass and I still can't kill this bastard!!!" (my sweet wife...)
"The road to Hell is paved with happy plans..."
"I do not avoid Twinkies, Duck, but I do deny them my essence." Joel

Phssthpok

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 01:34:09 pm »

:thumbsup: No OnStar on that puppy! Great Choice Phssthpok! Probably cost you less to rebuild that front end than it will cost to have an OnStar module removed...

Hell, she don't even have electronic IGNITION! Still rockin' da POINTS baby! :headbang

(Go ahead... TRY and EMP my arse!)

enemyofthestate

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 03:02:07 pm »

Well my Yukon has it.  And I want to disable it.  Has anyone done this?  Resources?

Google "Hack Onstar"  Most article involve converting onstar to something useful but usually tell you where to find it and how to disconnect it.
Mystical man values human life.  Rational man values the ability to value human life.
--Stephen Carville

Atheist   n.   A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others
-- Chaz Bufe, The American Heretics Dictionary

teotwawki

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 05:05:49 pm »

It was on a used truck I bought - damn nice deal for a nice truck - so I figured I could just disable the darn thing.  Sigh.

Tom P.

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 06:30:39 pm »

I personally would like to see them make a simple car again like the VW bug... 4 freaking wheels and a seat, it was tough as nails, and got you where you were going without all the bells and whistles.

Thats like a dream of mine. I used to have a Datsun 720. Damn fine truck. I bought a Jeep CJ for the same simplicity. Not so fine a truck. If you want anything thats both new, and simple, your SOL.

teotwawki

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 06:47:17 pm »

Styer Puch Pinzgauers!

Tom P.

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 07:04:50 pm »

Well.. there is still the "new" aspect. New Pinzies arnt legal in the US, even if they were they sell for well over 100K Euros.

There are definatly great options out there if you want "new to you" simple cars. It would just be nice if you could buy something here in the US as dirt simple and dead reliable as say, a Lada Niva. Dont laugh. 30 mpg, full time 4x4, gas or diesel, excellent off road performance, and (believe it or not) made by Chevy with Chevy parts. Not pretty but Id damn sure buy one if I could. Why cant I buy one? They canceled production of export Nivas in 1995 due to lack of interest. Apparently everybody wants a freaking YUKON ;)

TDamned

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2006, 07:20:12 pm »

This deals with someone wanting to disable it for their Grand Prix but the general idea might be the same...

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=359808&highlight=gps

Interestingly most people were against the idea because they wanted to give the police the ability to track their car via GPS  :sheep:

This might also help you

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/05-08-46-001a.pdf

Good luck!

This is however why I drive older cars (and they are easier to work on)

Phssthpok

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2006, 07:50:29 pm »

Well.. there is still the "new" aspect. New Pinzies arnt legal in the US, even if they were they sell for well over 100K Euros.

There are definatly great options out there if you want "new to you" simple cars. It would just be nice if you could buy something here in the US as dirt simple and dead reliable as say, a Lada Niva. Dont laugh. 30 mpg, full time 4x4, gas or diesel, excellent off road performance, and (believe it or not) made by Chevy with Chevy parts. Not pretty but Id damn sure buy one if I could. Why cant I buy one? They canceled production of export Nivas in 1995 due to lack of interest. Apparently everybody wants a freaking YUKON ;)

LADA NIVA

Ugly? yes.

Do I want one? Oh HELL yes!

But according to Wikipedia they were Russian made. :huh:

TDamned

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2006, 08:12:24 pm »

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/58/Ladaniva.jpg/250px-Ladaniva.jpg
LADA NIVA

Ugly? yes.

Do I want one? Oh HELL yes!

I'd rather have one of these...

Tom P.

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2006, 08:47:33 pm »

They are... but read the wiki article a little closer.

The 1.7L engine on the VAZ2121 (Niva) was developed in conjunction with Chevy, and the latest models of the Niva are actually CALLED the "Chevy Niva", sports the "bowtie" even. The wiki has this to say:

GM-AvtoVAZ, a joint venture between AutoVAZ and General Motors, produces the Chevrolet Niva. The car was previously known as VAZ 2123 in the design stage. It features an updated body and 1.7 L engine with fuel injection. Although the body and the interiors are new, it's still based on the old VAZ 2121 engine, transmission and most mechanicals. Its off-road ability is exemplary compared with many modern budget SUVs, having been designed for tough tundra territory.

Its the classic Niva, with a modernized body.

Sorry TEOTWAWKI, your thread seems to have been officially hijacked  :icon_pale:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 02:04:11 am by Tom P. »

teotwawki

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2006, 09:00:06 pm »

I'll survive, as soon as I can find this fooking Onstar box and disable the fraking thing.

Sorry TEOTWAWKI, your thread seems to have been officially hijacked  :icon_pale:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up