The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Disabling Onstar  (Read 29433 times)

TDamned

Re: Disabling Onstar
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2006, 09:28:05 pm »

I'll survive, as soon as I can find this fooking Onstar box and disable the fraking thing.

Sorry TEOTWAWKI, your thread seems to have been officially hijacked  :icon_pale:

Can you trace it back using the antenna from the OnStar?

You do know that your Yukon probably also has a black box that records all kinds of neat information

teotwawki

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 09:31:15 pm »

Yeah, but as long as they can't access it remotely I'm Ok with it.  And it's an 04' so maybe not :)

Other than that it's one sweet arse riDe
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 11:47:27 pm by teotwawki »

TDamned

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2006, 10:58:05 pm »

FYI:

From Tech Live:

EDRs record the following data:

Vehicle speed (five seconds before impact) Engine speed (five seconds before impact) Brake status (five seconds before impact) Throttle position (five seconds before impact) State of driver's seat belt switch (On/Off) Passenger's airbag (On/Off) SIR Warning Lamp status (On/Off) Time from vehicle impact to airbag deployment Ignition cycle count at event time Ignition cycle count at investigation Maximum velocity for near-deployment event Velocity vs. time for frontal airbag deployment event Time from vehicle impact to time of maximum velocity Time between near-deploy and deploy event (if within five seconds)

Black boxes have been in all GM cars since 1999 and in many other makes and models since 1996.

http://www.g4tv.com/techtvvault/features/38956/Is_There_a_Black_Box_in_Your_Car.html

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2006, 06:07:56 am »

Well my Yukon has it.  And I want to disable it.  Has anyone done this?  Resources?

Buy the Chilton Manual for your truck.  Find the location for the antenna, snip the antenna wires or, alternately, find where the antenna plugs into the wiring harness and unplug it.  That should do it, otherwise find the box that controls the system and unplug the power.  Those are the simple ways to do it, and plugging them in could give you a "civilized" way of getting help in the middle of nowhere while things are still working.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

SmallFry

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2006, 04:37:43 pm »

Had a freind who worked for Onstar some time ago. Claims they can turn on the mic ANYTIME they want to... Um, thanks, but I'll pass of that particular piece of BigBro' in any of my cars!

SmallFry

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2006, 03:49:25 am »

I personally would like to see them make a simple car again like the VW bug... 4 freaking wheels and a seat, it was tough as nails, and got you where you were going without all the bells and whistles. AND without a potential surveillance module on board...

That's why I love my little Tonka truck....seen here hauling 1200lbs of China Diesel Generator!

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/Phssthpok/generator/th_genny001.jpg

Bought it for $500, rebuilt the front end and replaced the engine. She'll haul well over 1/2 ton all day long and get over 20MPG doing it!

Now I know where you got your handle from Phssthpok about 450 times/minute?  Either that or you are "Adam's daddy"?
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2006, 12:56:51 pm »

Looks like at least one guy was able to disable the unit by pulling the fuse that powers onstar.  Not sure which one as he didn't say, but that shouldn't be too tough to find. 

In addition, I can't think of a reason the Haynes manual for your vehicle wouldn't have some information on the OnStar system.
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

NuclearDruid

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2006, 01:38:07 pm »

Well.. there is still the "new" aspect. New Pinzies arnt legal in the US, even if they were they sell for well over 100K Euros.

You could always pick up one of these next time you're passing through Georgia.
Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer EuroTruck Importers, LLC
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

Tom P.

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2006, 05:17:40 pm »

Thanks ND. There is a local Pinzie dealer here in the area. They are excellent rides, but by law they have to be 25 years old or older for import. Buying a factory new model and importing it to the US is not legal. Something about military vehicles being registerable as collector items. No collector status, no import.

teotwawki

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2006, 05:39:54 pm »

Just spoke to the service manager at my GMC dealership.  They're able to "completely disable all systems within the OnStar module" - takes 1 shop hour to do.  The only thing that is different and noticeable to the driver is that the green button on the rear view mirror turns red.  Supposedly disables the cell and the GPS subsystems completely.

Not bad for $100.00FRN.

Guess I'm making an appointment.

Ponce

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2006, 07:40:51 pm »

Install a on-off switch in case you do need them one of this days....... and even if you don't pay for the services do it anyway...... the cops can tell them to find you anytime they feel like it.

yorick

• http://www.friendshuh.com
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2006, 09:39:24 am »

don't just disable it - hack it so you can use it yourself - and they can't 'dial in' on you....

http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/15/45/

excerpt:
Hacking OnStar       Print        E-mail
Written by Pete Carter (http://members.cox.net/onstar/)   
Sunday, 26 September 2004
Hacking OnStar
Interface into OnStar's GPS

{mos_sb_discuss:18}
Overview

The OnStar System is becoming more and more common as GM installs it by default in many of their vehicles. At the heart of this system is a GPS receiver, manufactured by Motorola, called the Oncore. Once you make a serial connection to this Oncore GPS, you can recieve real-time positioning information on your Laptop or PDA - In either Motorola's proprietary (but well documented) format, or in standard NMEA format.

In order to do this, you will need the following items:

* A vehicle with OnStar
    * RS232-to-TTL Serial Level Converter
    * Torx T-10 (star shaped) screwdriver/bit
    * Solder Iron/Solder
    * Screwdriver/Wire Stripper/Pliers, etc.

After tearing apart my OnStar, I found the actual GPS board inside to be a Motorola Oncore GTPlus. I decided that the easiest way to interface with this would be to connect directly to this board, rather than trying to use the OnStar wiring. The main reason I decided to go this route was due to the lack of infomation about Onstar's wiring and protocols, and the wealth of information about the Motorola Oncore pin-outs and protocol. I also wanted to be able to talk directly to the GPS regardless of the current status of the OnStar system, and have no idea if that is possible through the OnStar's wiring.

In order to connect a serial port directly to the Oncore you will need an RS232 to TTL level converter. These are available for sale on the web, as well as schematics to build your own. I decided to use a pre-built converter, the RLC1 from Digital Nemesis. I chose this one because it was built into the DB9 shell, so it would require minimal wiring. I figured this was also one less thing for me to screw up. I cut the Molex connector off the end so I could solder it directly to the board, and soldered the RTS (Request to Send) and CTS (Clear to Send) wires together since these aren't used by the oncore.

Mr. Dare

• Administrator
  • My Strawman will beat hell out of yours any day!
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2006, 11:19:48 am »

Sounds like a pain in the neck to me, better to just avoid the problem in the first place. If it has Onstar, or anything like it, I won't buy it. :rolleyes:
"He's no fun, he fell right over!"
"I've got Deku Nuts coming outta my ass and I still can't kill this bastard!!!" (my sweet wife...)
"The road to Hell is paved with happy plans..."
"I do not avoid Twinkies, Duck, but I do deny them my essence." Joel

NotMe

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2006, 03:43:32 pm »

When we bought a Suburban practically the first thing we did was remove the Onstar unit (My god wer'e paranoid).  You should be able to find the location with a Google search.  Ours was only accessable by removing the panel under the dash.  Took my husband two weeks to put everything back together, but other than that it was easy  :rolleyes: 

Outlaw

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2006, 04:00:13 pm »

How about telling the dealer that you will only buy the vehicle with all components of the Onstar completely removed?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up