The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disabling Onstar  (Read 24435 times)

clarence

• sui juris, in propia persona
Re: Disabling Onstar
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2006, 09:31:14 pm »

How about telling the dealer that you will only buy the vehicle with all components of the Onstar completely removed?

[tin foil hat]  well, there is probably a rule from the ntsb that says a vehicle with tracking capability can not have that capability turned off. so, if you say that to the greedy bastard lying puke sales manager, then he'll report you as a "terrorist" and you'll get a visit from the feebs and have your name on a list for the rest of your life. (or as long as amerika exists) [/tin foil hat]

clarence
je suis contre

tu ne cede malis

"Don't feel bad, most species of large mammal die off...it's just our turn." Herb Ruhs, MD

Mr. Dare

• Administrator
  • My Strawman will beat hell out of yours any day!
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2006, 01:53:44 pm »

LOL in my experience sales people will do/promise damn near anything to get you to shut up as long as there is no cash involved coming from their end.  Not aware of any rules stateing you can't disable it, but they have made it prohibitively complex. It can be done though. 100 bucks is about what I would expect to get the job done, now if they just have somebody who understands it well enough to do it without setting off warning indicators like christmas lights you'll be set. Also, I would plan on leaving the vehicle for half a day, even though they say 1 hr. Just some practical "real world" advice. They don't do these everyday since most folks won't pay what it costs to have  it done, and I'm betting there will a be a few glitches to be worked out.
"He's no fun, he fell right over!"
"I've got Deku Nuts coming outta my ass and I still can't kill this bastard!!!" (my sweet wife...)
"The road to Hell is paved with happy plans..."
"I do not avoid Twinkies, Duck, but I do deny them my essence." Joel

Mr. Dare

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2006, 02:11:55 pm »

Precicely, if enough people quit buying it, rest assured they WILL stop selling it. The laws of supply and demand are still functioning pretty well when it comes to automobile sales.
"I've got Deku Nuts coming outta my ass and I still can't kill this bastard!!!" (my sweet wife...)

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2006, 02:12:47 pm »

Mole the knowledge.  Know a liberty minded friend or two who has the automotive knwledge?  take your time and make sure that everything is reversable.  I can see a "for the children" law or such growing already about on star like with cell phone 911 stuff.  An EMP scenario might be a good thing in some ways :ph34r:

I know GMC makes a lot of fleet vehicles, the onstar locator would be a good for business thing, but not necessarily a good for people thing.  I would think about buying a stripped down truck anyway, the money could go toward your own personal customizations that no one needs to know about anyway.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

Mr. Dare

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2006, 02:17:34 pm »

If done properly it should be completly reversable, just save all the parts if they are actually removed from the truck, and don't let them cut any wires, unplugging is sufficient, the other onboard modules would have to be reconfigured to look for the onstar module again (read paying $$$ again). But thats about it.

Rarick

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2006, 02:25:08 pm »

A factory certified and authorized diagnotic computer?  and a certified technician to go with it.  Corporations get big enough they have some of the same machanisms of a government bureaucracy.  I remember dad ranting about these new electronic ignitions as actually making repairs more expensive due to the computer needed.  Software allows for "non_Visible" yearly changes in stuff and may also serve as a "warantty violation" benchmark. that would be another game to keep in mind.  I definately plan on buying a stripped down truck if I can, I would need the money for my own diagnostic machine, and Teotwawki parts cache.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

Rarick

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2006, 02:28:54 pm »

But why stay with GM at all?  if they(GM) don't care if the FedGov is/are spying on you using there cars/trucks, then why buy any of them. Brand loyalty is just as stupid as store loyalty cards, just because you can get it cheaper.

any Corp that is that deep on the FedGov pole dosen't need my money

I think it is more a case of corporate fleet sales and corporations tracking their property than Aunt Jimima being a busy body for uncle sam. (ohh that thought/imagery hurt!)

I have been wanting to ask, what planes were you the Stick Actuating Unit for?

Rarick

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2006, 02:40:44 pm »

okay, I wasn't a weedeater/ tire kicker.  Just a radar/firecontrol tech (tweek).  1E's would mean you are vietnam era, proper regards glad you made it thru.

Rarick

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2006, 04:05:37 pm »

Brands often cal the same technology by different names and often have different customer bases.  Professional grade, Farm tough, American produced, etc, etc.  The technology is the same tho'.  LCD screens are built by 3 or 4 different companies, how many "brands" do you see?  FoMoCo, Chevy, and GM may als use the same supplier for the satelite based radios, GPS and Helpcalls, with the same capabilities (SAE standards you know)

Moleman

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2006, 10:18:14 am »

While that is true you don't see Ford or Dodge or any of the imports (that aren't controlled by GM) doing this.
While BMW and MB have GPS and cell phones there is no talk about the Gov being able to track them. Why?  because the Big spenders wouldn't have it and would take their business else where.

Exactly. The big boys always exempt themselves.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up