The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Freenet? Check it out  (Read 2759 times)

unstructuredreality

Freenet? Check it out
« on: May 17, 2004, 09:38:45 pm »

Those criminal bastards at paypal, who will freeze anyone's account for any reason, have frozen freenets account for using an anonymous proxy.  Egold will still work, stick with that.

http://freenet.sourceforge.net/

I warn anyone even considering using paypal as an option to toss the idea out of your mind.  They are tools of government and the biggest snitches I know of.  Freenet is a good thing that many freedom seekers want to develop but let this be a warning about what can happen.

Peace and Good Day

kbarrett

Freenet? Check it out
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 10:28:55 pm »

Never keep more money in paypal then you can afford to lose.

ANY complaint will cause paypal to lock the account for 6 months, and then mail you a check if you complain enough.

The psychology of “Projection”:  If you want to run people’s lives for them, then you will probably assume that any armed person wants to do the same to you. Scratch a victim-disarmament supporter, and you will always discover a fear-ridden control-freak.

unstructuredreality

Freenet? Check it out
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 04:59:58 pm »

update;
http://freenet.sourceforge.net/

"19th May, 2004 : Paypal grudgingly caves to public pressure
We received a seemingly automatic message from Paypal indicating that our account has been restored:
Thank you for taking the steps to restore your account access. Your patience and efforts increase security for our entire community of users.

Unfortunately, it seems that the steps they refer to involve being a sufficiently high-profile project that it generates potentially damaging publicity, and our concern about Paypal extends beyond those people that are capable of generating significant levels of negative attention.

Our feeling is that in the absence of an explanation or apology from Paypal, we will not continue to advocate usage of their service. Paypal may have a legal right to discontinue service to its customers, but it has a moral obligation to offer a reasonable explanation for its actions, particularly where a faithful and profitable customer such as the Freenet Project Inc is concerned."

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
Freenet? Check it out
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2004, 07:51:15 pm »

The first time I heard of paypal was from a brother,  a number of years ago,  and he seemed to think highly of them at the time.

Then somewhat later I heard they'd been _bought_ by Ebay!

I've been somewhat dubious about them ever since...

And speaking of Ebay,  aren't there any alternatives out there?  Their site is *horribly* slow on my dialup account, and on this computer,  and besides which they're anti-gun!  I'd heard that there were gun auction sites out there,  but it sure seems to me that there oughta be some online trading alternatives,  somewhere.  Anybody know of any?
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin
Pages: [1]   Go Up