The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New member category -- Provisional  (Read 13203 times)

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
New member category -- Provisional
« on: December 24, 2006, 08:21:21 am »

At my request, and thanks to the tech genius of Bill St. Clair, we now have a new membership category that we hope will help prevent spam and minimize misuse of the Claireslist "barter & bux" forums (which some TCFers have been concerned about).

Now, instead of getting immediate "Newbie" status and full board privileges, new registrants have "Provisional" status until they've made 10 posts.

Provisional members:

Can reply to topics, but cannot start new topics of their own

Can read and reply to personal messages

Cannot view board stats, personal profiles (other than their own), or the member list

Cannot vote in or create polls

This should stop most spammers in their tracks, and also discourage the few folks who show up here occasionally only to promote themselves. Hopefully, it will also encourage folks to spend some time becoming familiar with board content before posting questions that may have been asked before.

We can change the characteristics of this new type of membership if need be. So if you have any objections or comments on Provisionals permissions, speak away ...
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 08:30:45 am by Claire »
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

purple kitty

Re: New member category -- Provisional
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 09:23:41 am »

« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 08:54:19 am by purple kitty »

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 09:36:31 am »

Thanks, PK. I'll ask the Mod Squad about doing that.
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

Tin-Man

• Expat.
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 10:32:59 am »

Hopefully, it will also encourage folks to spend some time becoming familiar with board content before posting questions that may have been asked before. 

And/or before being shocked -- shocked I say -- that talk of the Constitution and the "democratic process" isn't received with open arms and glowing praise.

One can only hope.... :rolleyes:
...when it comes to mass murder the worst individual monster in the world is a gnat compared with even a relatively benign state.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Mr. Bill

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 10:05:12 pm »

... new registrants have "Provisional" status until they've made 10 posts.

Provisional members:

Can reply to topics, but cannot start new topics of their own ...

Just my opinion, but this feels excessive.  Can't start a new topic until your eleventh post?  That's going to discourage people who actually do have something important to contribute right away.

I see the point of this, but my belief is that any sort of "automatic moderation" is (1) doomed to fail as spammers and troublemakers work around it, and (2) guaranteed to annoy and inconvenience legitimate members.  Only human moderators can do the job right.

velojym

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 11:24:39 pm »

I don't really have a problem with it. Ten posts ain't much, and it'd be completely transparent to the regulars and anyone who's
made the 11th post. Granted, there are folks out there who make it their mission in life to circumvent any sort of anti-abuse
scheme (so we still need a few folks to keep an eye on things), but I like the idea of having a probationary period.
It can be tough to fathom at times, but the 1st amendment doesn't really apply here. Interestingly enough, though... I feel more
free to talk here than I do in "public" places.
I even figured 10 posts was a bit low, in fact.

Not a TMM member

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 01:20:33 am »

Well the obvious solution to the n0obs not being able to open a thread to say hi is the new and improved "HI, I'M NEW HERE!" thread stickied somewhere.
Not sympathetic to the tinfoil hat crowd.

motherbatherick

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2006, 01:48:25 am »

Hey, works for me.  'Specially since me and my big mouth (Shut the fuck up, Bucctoo.) are grandfathered in. 
BTW, check it out:  I found a zombie smiley. 
(And oddly enough, a Village People smiley: )

Lazarus Long

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2006, 02:00:19 am »

Sounds like a sensible idea, overall.

While on the topic of member categories, I wanted to make a suggestion of my own, which would be to allow anybody with a surname of sorts in their handle to have a special category of their own, based on their surname. So, Roy J. Tellason would be "Tellason Member", and Shorty Dawkins would be "Dawkins Member", and Stuart the Yalie could be "Yalie Member", etc. This would suit me just fine.

Sorry for the thread hijack - I just thought this would be as good a place as any to air my views.
"Whatever is funny is subversive, every joke is ultimately a custard pie... a dirty joke is... a sort of mental revolution." - Orwell

Kirsten

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2006, 02:08:10 am »

« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 02:26:03 pm by Kirsten »

enemyofthestate

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2006, 08:12:33 am »

For the first ten post all new recruits are Provos?   :rolleyes:

Kewl!
Mystical man values human life.  Rational man values the ability to value human life.
--Stephen Carville

Atheist   n.   A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others
-- Chaz Bufe, The American Heretics Dictionary

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2006, 01:16:26 am »

I'm not a little bit confused here.
I understand that us noobs should be provisional members at first.
Makes complete sense to me BUT then some of the threads have all the info necessary for the
sneaky gummint types to make their own list so what have you protected?
["Where are we?"]

I have never "run" a forum so I don't know how possible [or impossible] it would be to limit access
to some of the threads until the "provisional" wears off.

I'm with Mr Bill on this one. What of the noob that has services or needs pretty much immediate?
'Course "immediate" and being online are kind of mutually exclusive aren't they?

"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III

debra

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2006, 09:01:49 am »

Hi gooch,

The primary reason for the provisional status is to keep spammers out. We have a section called "Claireslist" (a play on "Craigslist") for members who want to buy or sell stuff / services. About 10 seconds after we created it, we had people signing up solely to spam it with advertisements for their products.  We figure most spammers won't bother to stick around long enough to make 10 posts before they can advertise. So Claireslist will contain legit products/services instead of "V*IAGRA!!!!" and "REAL ROLEX REPLICAS!!!"  :rolleyes: :D

If a noob has something time-sensitive and immediate, he can either:

a. pm the moderator to ask for an exception and/or have the mod post the info, or
b. post 10 posts about Twinkies in the twinkie thread real quick :D :D

Hope that helps.

Tharsei

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2006, 11:03:47 am »

And of course it borders on the absurd to be labeled provisional when one is approaching two years of membership.

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2006, 11:41:54 am »

And of course it borders on the absurd to be labeled provisional when one is approaching two years of membership.

Well, we're definitely open to changing the requirements, as I said above. And of course we'll continue human moderation of spammers & other nuisances. But it would be helpful if folks who object to the requirement offer specific suggestions for keeping out spammers while not placing odious burdens on infrequent posters or newcomers.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up