The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ethnic Soups And Stews (Chilli included)  (Read 70751 times)

Adventurer, Explorer, Inquiring Mind.

• Given up.
Re: Ethnic Soups And Stews (Chilli included)
« Reply #90 on: January 01, 2012, 06:17:54 pm »

Hmmm...
It sounds like hot-oil to me.
Could I make it with Thai Hot Peppers?
Those are my favorites. Only reason I ask,
is that Cayenne and Japanese peppers aren't hot enough.*

* Yes I'm a chilli head. (A fiery foods enthusiast)

Anyone use habaneros for their hot peppers?  I find that a square inch of habanero can make a gallon of soup burn pretty damn well.  Last batch of chillies I bought were weaker than weak.  The habaneros, on the other hand, must be where all the hot went. 

Glad I finally found the recipe threads.  I'm with you on the cooking since before I could read, and I'm with the disavowed spook that food is part of people's cultural identity.  And there's nothing wrong and lots is right with learning as much as possible and incorporating as much of the flavor of the rest of the world in what one makes at home.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

gaurdduck

« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2012, 05:32:50 am »

Hmmm...
It sounds like hot-oil to me.
Could I make it with Thai Hot Peppers?
Those are my favorites. Only reason I ask,
is that Cayenne and Japanese peppers aren't hot enough.*

* Yes I'm a chilli head. (A fiery foods enthusiast)

Anyone use habaneros for their hot peppers?  I find that a square inch of habanero can make a gallon of soup burn pretty damn well.  Last batch of chillies I bought were weaker than weak.  The habaneros, on the other hand, must be where all the hot went. 

Glad I finally found the recipe threads.  I'm with you on the cooking since before I could read, and I'm with the disavowed spook that food is part of people's cultural identity.  And there's nothing wrong and lots is right with learning as much as possible and incorporating as much of the flavor of the rest of the world in what one makes at home.

How's this for world flavor!?

PKL's MILD MASAMAN CURRY (Thai Style Curry)
It's mild so my Granma can eat it. I usually add extra chili to my own bowl. Thai people add so much chili it turns red.  Be sure to write up a will first if you do it the Thai way.

3-4 pounds of skinned and de-boned chicken thighs

1 cup fresh peas (with or without pods)

1 onion, skinned and cut into eighths

1 can of cream of coconut

3/4 of a tall can of coconut water

1 tablespoon of dark fish sauce (I use Filipino style because I think it tastes the best)

1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder (I use McCormick brand for this recipe)

fresh Basil and Cilantro leaves

cooked jasmine rice

Cut into cubes and fry the chicken in a little oil until the fat is melted, remove to a bowl and saute the onions until they are soft. Add in the chicken, peas, coconut cream, coconut water, fish sauce, and curry powder. Stir it well. Cover and cook on Medium-Low heat for 3 hours, stirring occasionally to keep it from burning.

Put rice in bowls, and spoon the curry over it. Then tear up equal amounts of basil and cilantro, and sprinkle atop the curry.

DPR 2006

• Evil MUST be stopped, no matter the cost
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2012, 04:32:14 pm »

Looks yummy, man!

Like to ask:  The Thai eateries here in the US advertise their availability of "authentic level" of spice in some of their dishes.  I'm wondering if you've eaten at Thai restaurants here in the US and over there, and can tell me if there's a difference between the two in terms of "authentic level of spice".  At my favorite Thai place in Boise, I can have their curried fried chicken wings (Angel Wing Panang) at what is supposed to be 1-1/2 times authentic level.  The curry is almost orange in color.  I think I'm ready to go 1-3/4 of their authentic level.

If you need a pic, I'm sure I can get one the next time I go there (8 megapixel camera on my iPod touch).
Tyrants and criminals prefer UNARMED victims - ME
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - HL Mencken

gaurdduck

« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2012, 11:35:00 pm »

Looks yummy, man!

Like to ask:  The Thai eateries here in the US advertise their availability of "authentic level" of spice in some of their dishes.  I'm wondering if you've eaten at Thai restaurants here in the US and over there, and can tell me if there's a difference between the two in terms of "authentic level of spice".  At my favorite Thai place in Boise, I can have their curried fried chicken wings (Angel Wing Panang) at what is supposed to be 1-1/2 times authentic level.  The curry is almost orange in color.  I think I'm ready to go 1-3/4 of their authentic level.

If you need a pic, I'm sure I can get one the next time I go there (8 megapixel camera on my iPod touch).

I've never been to Thailand. I have some Thai friends that Speak Thai and Japanese... (I speak to them in Japanese.) I made my recipe by modifying a recipe I got thanks to google-translate's Thai setting and a basic search. My Thai friends tell me it's not hot enough even when I add way more chili. I made it not hot and adapted it to use a pre-made curry powder. The recipe called for "vegetables", so I added peas. It was what we had on hand.

DPR 2006

• Evil MUST be stopped, no matter the cost
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2012, 01:03:08 pm »

Wow...looks like I don't quite have the iron stomach I think I do...lol...well, I can still give a surprise to my friends (evil grin).
Tyrants and criminals prefer UNARMED victims - ME
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - HL Mencken
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up