The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 49   Go Down

Author Topic: TCF Cookbook is now AVAILABLE!!  (Read 178251 times)

LawyerZeke

Re: Fruitcake!!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2007, 02:22:57 am »

Living on fruitcake doesn't sound very fun though, maybe a fruitcake cookie with the doggie chow mein?

Well, fruitcake would look a lot better if your rock-bottom survival ration was Purina Primate Chow (yes, they make one).

It's all relative, doncha know?

Jack21221

Re: The secret survival food.....fruit cake..
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2007, 05:11:58 am »

Jim Gaffigan has a bit about fruitcake.

From memory, pardon me if it isn't verbatim.

"Fruit, good... Cake, great... Fruitcake: Nasty crap. What are the ingredients in fruitcake? Anything but fruit? *numnum* What is this, a skittle? *numnum* A treasure map??"

redclay

Re: Fruitcake!!!!!! - naming names
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2007, 05:59:07 am »

Down here in the south, the jokes abound about old Claxton fruitcakes found many years later used as doorstops in some older homes....but my vote goes to the Southern Supreme fruitcake co. in NC - if you are in to fruitcakes, they make them in all useable sizes....they sold out once again for the holidays this year, but should start making them again by midyear....I don't know about their storage life......the company has a seasonal staff, since fruitcake is considered a fall/winter holiday treat. There are bus tours to the plant as well..... Just google them for the website...rgds, redclay 1/4/07

cowardly lion

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2007, 06:07:34 am »

Mrs Lion makes a **fantastic** fruitcake, we have to limit how often she makes it or I'd eat it all the time.  Survival food, hell, I'd be eating it long before I got to the rice and beans.

cl
Sic semper tyrannis, baby!    - Joel Simon

As much as we may not want to consider it, we must have a mindset that enables us to do instant and devastating violence in defense of self and/or loved ones.   -Dave Champion

It's not unusual to run into folks in the internet that are dense enough to have event horizons.

Remember, remember, the fifth of November . . . .

Don't mistake my silence for weakness - no one plans a murder out loud.

Pagan

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2007, 06:57:09 am »

bucctoo, I think a homemade fruitcake would have less sugar and fat in it than the commercial one you listed; besides, noone usually eats a fifth  of a homemade fruitcake. I wonder how large (or small) than tin was that it came in?

Here's a good recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_8157,00.html

or maybe Mrs. Lion would give us hers.

coloradohermit

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2007, 07:57:12 am »

You all could  come to visit Colorado and participate in
THE 12TH ANNUAL FRUITCAKE TOSS IN MANITOU SPRINGS
DATE: SATURDAY, JANUARY 6TH 2007
TIME: 9:30 AM – 2:00 PM
NEW LOCATION: Manitou Springs High School TRACK
ENTRY FEE: One canned food item or one non-perishable food item to be donated to
the local food bank.
WINNERS IN THE LAUNCH, TOSS, HURL AND PNEUMATIC DEVICE WILL RECEIVE TROPHIES
SPONSORED BY: THE MANITOU SPRINGS CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, THE
DULCIMER SHOP, PURE QUALITY SOUND PRODUCTIONS & MANITOU
CLIFF DWELLINGS & MUSEUM
RULES:
1. Participants should bring their own fruitcakes. Fruitcakes must contain glaceed fruits, nuts and
flour. They cannot contain anything inedible. Fruitcakes will not be “taste tested”. Fruitcakes
must be visible to the inspectors, no duct tape, foil, etc. All Fruitcakes will be examined by the
“Fruitcake Toss Tech Inspectors.”
2. A limited number of fruitcakes will be available to rent for $1.00 if you were not fortunate enough to receive
one of your own or if you were unable to find the time or recipe to bake one.
3. For the distance competitions there will be two weight classes:
under 16 ounces (1 lb)
16 – 32 ounces (2 lb)
If a Fruitcake goes over its weight class, it must be cut to weight.
4. For the Fruitcake Launch the device used to launch the fruitcake must not be powered by fuel (ie:
no motors, engines, gasoline, diesel, etc.) The maximum length of the hurling device will be 10 feet.
Safety is the most important issue. Any device deemed not to be safe by the organizing
committee will not be allowed to compete.
5. Pneumatics or air powered (spud guns) will be a separate competition. Only pneumatic spud guns can be used.
Guns must be made entirely out of either ABS pipe or PVC pipe. DO NOT MIX PIPE TYPES. Length of spud gun is up
to the contestant keeping in mind the contestant must have complete control of spud gun at all times. Only compressed
air from bicycle pumps will be allowed on the field. No 12 volt tire or big air compressors.
6. The distance competitions are as follows:
The Fruitcake Launch - Using a mechanical device
The Fruitcake Toss - One person physically throwing a fruitcake
The Official Fruitcake Hurl - Using the catapult built by the organizing committee
The Pneumatic Spud Gun - Using pneumatic spud gun brought to the competition by the contestant
Kids Toss - 3 age groups (3-5, 6-9, 10-12) One Girl & One Boy winner in each age group.
No weight classes for Fruit Cake in Kids Toss.
The fruitcake in each weight class that goes the longest distance will determine the winner in each division
7. Glamour & Travel Competition
Prizes awarded for: Most Beautiful Fruitcake, Ugliest Fruitcake, Most Creative Use of Fruit Cake,
Fruitcake that traveled the greatest distance to the event (proof provided by post marks on package)
8. Participants may enter in any and all categories.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

What luck for rulers that men do not think. - Adolf Hitler

Lead, follow or get out of the way.

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2007, 08:40:50 am »

While of course I agree that TCF simply must have a Fruitcake!!! thread, I also agree with Thunder that we probably really don't need two. So I've merged his thread with padre29's original. Since the messages merge according to the time they were posted, this might have made for some weird-looking discussion as two different conversations melded into one. Sorry 'bout that.

OTOH, weird-looking discussion seems quite appropriate here.

Now, should I move this thread to Gulching, where it can wander side-by-side with Twinkies? Or leave it here.

BTW, that was fascinating to learn that fruitcakes actually were survival food. And banned. Whodathunk?
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Vydunas

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2007, 09:05:43 am »

I love fruitcake.  Especially, my mom's homemade fruitcake.  She even used to make fruitcake cookies that were awesome as well.

Never understood why so many people dislike it so much...
Embalmed fruit.
Never, ever make fruitcake out of anything designed solely to be put into fruitcake. No candied citron, glace cherries, etc. Also beware of recipes calling for molasses, unless you really like that sort of thing. Find a recipe that creates a light-colored batter. Then fill it full of dried fruit from your local health-food store / food co-op.  Yellow raisins and apricots are essential. Pineapple, papaya and mango are also good. Dried blueberries and cherries are wonderful, but pricey. I've even used goji berries!

Vydunas

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2007, 09:07:15 am »

I don't know Claire, some of my best friends think I'm a fruitcake, so I know of what I speak....

You are what you eat.

Dull'Hawk

• DullHawk.com
    • dullhawk.com
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2007, 09:17:53 am »

Well, fruitcake would look a lot better if your rock-bottom survival ration was Purina Primate Chow (yes, they make one).

But Zupreme (or Zoopreme?) primate food is good stuff.  I used to snack on that at the pet store all the time!!  Excuse me while I go scratch myself.....

Kent
Kent For Liberty

Firefly militia: millions strong, one at a time.

Declaration of Liberation: I hereby withdraw any and all consent (if, indeed, consent was ever given) to be subject to the whims of the murderous, criminal collective known as "government".

cowardly lion

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2007, 09:39:18 am »

Vydunas, I didn't say my wife's fruitcake was *good* for me, I said it was delicious.    :laugh:

cl
Sic semper tyrannis, baby!    - Joel Simon

As much as we may not want to consider it, we must have a mindset that enables us to do instant and devastating violence in defense of self and/or loved ones.   -Dave Champion

It's not unusual to run into folks in the internet that are dense enough to have event horizons.

Remember, remember, the fifth of November . . . .

Don't mistake my silence for weakness - no one plans a murder out loud.

Mr. Dare

• Administrator
  • My Strawman will beat hell out of yours any day!
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2007, 10:26:06 am »

Reasons why the Twinkie thread will remain supreme:

1) Twinkies inspire talk of science projects, blowing things up, launching things into space, Fruitcake inspires discussion of fond memories of eating dog, and it goes downhill from there.

2) Fruitcake has no creme filling.  While probably unhealthy, "Creme Filling" is fun to say and invites sexually suggestive discussion as to it's nature and origins.

3) Twinkies have done all sorts on interesting and exciting things in our lifetime,  fruitcake requires historical digging to get to the interesting stuff (ie survival food, government bans, revolutionary participation).  Lets face it, you are more likely to remember the time you squashed a Twinkie on your sister's head, and make a brief reminiscent post before logging out than saying "Oh what the hell, I'll just look up on the net real quick and see if there is any historical reference to fruitcake as assassination weapons before I go to bed". With Twinkies, you just know they have been, and can think of ways off the top of your head.

4) Fruitcake is complex, it's hard to imagine anything you could mix with it, or add to it that isn't already in there.  Twinkies invite experiment, They beg for creative tinkering.

5) Twinkies have a cool mascot, he's got a cowboy hat and boots, and a gun, and no pants! you just know he's got to be one of us! Fruitcakes always have "Scenes" a horse and buggy on a crowded street in a snowy new england town, or a sled ride past a mill pond with 4 or 5 iceskaters... and probably more than one dog in the scene (hmmmm)...  Basically fruit cake tries too hard to be something it's not.

Fruitcake may be a fantastic survival food, but it's just not something you TALK about outside of morbid discussions about the Donner party, and academic historical accounts of deep importance.  Not likely to even remotely challenge the mighty edifice that is the Twinkie thread.

"He's no fun, he fell right over!"
"I've got Deku Nuts coming outta my ass and I still can't kill this bastard!!!" (my sweet wife...)
"The road to Hell is paved with happy plans..."
"I do not avoid Twinkies, Duck, but I do deny them my essence." Joel

ShortyDawkins

• Liberty Vanguard 2011
  • Legends are made here.
    • Shorty Dawkins Freedom Outlaw
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2007, 10:31:08 am »

Would a Hardyville fruitcake have a picture of the Drunken Cowboy on it?

Damn, I spelled Hardyville wrong again! Edited to correct my faux pas.
Shorty Dawkins Freedom Outlaw
http://www.shortydawkins.weebly.com

Dull'Hawk

• DullHawk.com
    • dullhawk.com
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2007, 10:40:14 am »

Would a Hardyville fruitcake have a picture of the Drunken Cowboy on it?

The drunken cowboy IS a Hardyville fruitcake.

Kent
Kent For Liberty

Declaration of Liberation: I hereby withdraw any and all consent (if, indeed, consent was ever given) to be subject to the whims of the murderous, criminal collective known as "government".

Dull'Hawk

• DullHawk.com
    • dullhawk.com
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2007, 10:45:00 am »

Fruitcake inspires discussion of fond memories of eating dog, and it goes downhill from there.
3) Twinkies have done all sorts on interesting and exciting things in our lifetime,  fruitcake requires historical digging to get to the interesting stuff (ie survival food, government bans, revolutionary participation).  Lets face it, you are more likely to remember the time you squashed a Twinkie on your sister's head, and make a brief reminiscent post before logging out than saying "Oh what the hell, I'll just look up on the net real quick and see if there is any historical reference to fruitcake as assassination weapons before I go to bed". With Twinkies, you just know they have been, and can think of ways off the top of your head.

And really, who doesn't have fond memories of eating dog.....?

To rectify the lack of exciting fruitcake memories, we need a Hardyville "Fruitcake Experimentation Club".  The possibilites are endless depending how you interpret the club name!

Kent
Kent For Liberty

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 49   Go Up