The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mini shrug  (Read 8741 times)

mini shrug
« on: August 30, 2006, 06:26:47 pm »

« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 01:09:22 pm by fungusmunkey »

Dare2BFree

Re: mini shrug
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 07:01:03 pm »

I recently did the same thing.  I was in a crappy job even if it was good pay and it was killing me.  I found a way to move to another job and have been so much happier since. 

Congrats on the mini shrug - sometimes the small steps can lead to the bigger ones.
If I had known that these days would have changed my life - I would have dressed better.   ~ me

No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.  ~ Judge Gideon J. Tucker

Lightning

• Heheheh...
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 06:45:18 am »

Congrats on the mini shrug - sometimes the small steps can lead to the bigger ones.

Indeed.  After all, the guys in Ayn Rand's book who did the big shrug all at once were millionaires.  Easier for them.   :laugh:

Congrats, munkey!  I know how good that feels.  Hope it turns out the be the good thing you're looking for.  And yes, it is a step in your right direction - that's what counts.   :mellow:
I'm damn well free to dance through life even if 'they' expect me to cringe and crawl.

"Your life is an occasion.  Rise to it."  --Dustin Hoffman as Mr. Magorium, in Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

slidemansailor

• A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 10:20:38 pm »

i just sold my business after 22 years of self-employment.  I've taken a few months off to move to our Galt's Gulch, run for governor, get my workshop set up and find my way around town. Next week I gotta get to work.

I fear working for a boss other than my customers and dread having above-board income with all the baggage that goes with that.  I don't know if I can do that and will certainly start by hanging out my "I'll fix anything" shingle as my first attempt at employment.

The cash economy is a beautiful place to earn an honest living.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

Aviator

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 12:23:28 pm »

I'm planning the same thing.  I've just got to figure out how to keep the cash moving the right way.  I think the hardest part is inertia.

K.

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 11:34:28 pm »

Shrugging is pretty cool, but it's also a great way to piss off people around you that don't do it.

My favourite shrug is taking unpaid leave when I need it.

No mortgage, no kids ... I'm enjoying my misspent youth as long as I can stretch it out. What amazes me, though, is the number of people who fear being fired on a daily basis. It seems like fear is the normal state in a workplace. From the time they show up worried because they're late to working over lunch because they don't dare ask for a break to the hours they work back unpaid, it seems like fear rules people's working lives. (Yes, I know I'm being naive here, but someone could have warned me.)

But it's fairly simple to fix - don't spend as much as you earn until you've got your little 'freedom stash' tucked away. Then work the hours you're paid and walk off (on time) with a clear conscience.

Note I said simple, not easy.

Anyway, this time I'm taking time off for my honeymoon, and I've just started noticing the snide comments. Pardon my naivete, but why are people so damn hostile when you do something that they could be doing, but aren't?

Lightning

• Heheheh...
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 10:19:33 am »

Anyway, this time I'm taking time off for my honeymoon, and I've just started noticing the snide comments. Pardon my naivete, but why are people so damn hostile when you do something that they could be doing, but aren't?

They hate you for your freedom.   :ph34r:

I like your attitude, myself.   :mellow:
I'm damn well free to dance through life even if 'they' expect me to cringe and crawl.

"Your life is an occasion.  Rise to it."  --Dustin Hoffman as Mr. Magorium, in Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

K.

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 09:00:24 pm »

They hate you for your freedom. :ph34r:

Cool!

This means I get to nuke 'em, right?  ^_^

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 12:43:32 pm »

I have the regular, make the lettuce and feed uncle wabbit, job.  I am always looking for a cash and carry or other side hobby I can do to make the little bit extra.  That little bit extra has saved me a couple of times and gets used for preparing items that had better not show up in connection with me or anyone attached to me.  It is kind of a fun way of spending "gap time" between projects/jobs too.

It doesn't need to be anything fancy, if you are good with your hands you can make stuff for e-bay.  Like those License plate purses and stuff that were a rage a few years back.........  If you can figure out the next "Pet Rock" idea by doing the silly spare time projects. Then you have to get things legalized and you have your new business.

How are the guys who did Pop Rocks, Pet Rocks, Smiley Face, and such little wonders doing today?  You do not hear about them, and they are probably off all the radar too........  Makes the point.

........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

dannykay

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 07:16:15 pm »

I have always thought that the flaw in the Atlas Shrugged  theory, was that instead of the economy grinding to a halt as in the book, labor-intensive jobs throughout history have always been shifted to the lowest available wage group capable of doing the job, i.e. customer "support" call centers in India, etc.; slave or near slave-labor wherever it can be found for factory jobs in China, Mexico and elsewhere; sweatshops in many industries all over the world (including in the U.S. when labor costs were less). Back in the day, the existance of government was justified by several tasks which it no longer feels an obligation to provide, such as protection of industries deemed vital to the economy, protection of the weak (ask Terri Schiavo or the aborted unborn about this, or the owners of so-called private property seized under emminant domain). The government (of the United States) also formerly espoused that we were endowed by our CREATOR with certain inalienable RIGHTS, among them being life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, as opposed to the way it is now, with certain alienable priviledges which are bestowed upon the fortunate by our RULERS, the all-powerful government in the guise of politically-appointed judges, who outrank even the elected representatives and the executive branch (president). The government also no longer supports or defends the right to private property. And there is also a runaway nanny-state which assumes that we are all feeble-minded idiots incapable of making decisions in our own best interest. Face it, we are now ruled not by legislation, but by court rulings  by fiat. Now that we have lost control over our "leaders", it will be nearly impossible or at least a matter of many years to get the toothpaste back in the tube, so we must protect ourselves any way we can, and rely only on ourselves.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 07:21:27 pm by dannykay »

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 04:42:46 pm »

Heck I have built up over a month of time on the books.  I eventually plan on using about 3 months time to go build the "Main Cabin" if you will.  That will be the basic hub of everything unless I win the lottery or something similar........  I have also been know to take leaves of absence from THIS job to go work a temporary, but way higher paying job.  (Take leave from the regular job to go and help the unfortunates in XXXX as part of the Union's/Company's YYYYY campaign to look good for the sheeple.)  Concentrated 12 hour days looking like a bag of rags, while helping someone, and at the same time piling away over 3 months worth of regular time is some good motivation.  Heck I have managed to wake a couple of people up on those projects too...........
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

cowardly lion

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 07:15:00 am »

I hadn't thought about it as a 'mini-shrug', but I did the same thing back in '87.

"Left a good job in the city . . ." as the song goes.  I took a 45% cut in pay to leave Indy, and moved (eventually) to the 40 acres I'm now on in Southern Indiana.

Couldn't be happier now that I'm out of the burbs, but I'm still tied to .corp paycheck.  Working on that one, but having trouble cutting the umbilical.

cl
Sic semper tyrannis, baby!    - Joel Simon

As much as we may not want to consider it, we must have a mindset that enables us to do instant and devastating violence in defense of self and/or loved ones.   -Dave Champion

It's not unusual to run into folks in the internet that are dense enough to have event horizons.

Remember, remember, the fifth of November . . . .

Don't mistake my silence for weakness - no one plans a murder out loud.
Pages: [1]   Go Up