The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Earning a living in the Free State  (Read 22115 times)

Docliberty

Earning a living in the Free State
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2003, 07:18:49 pm »

Hey Storm.
If I get a practice going in NH, give me a call.  Between stints with Hunter I could use you to "persuade" insurance adjusters to pay what they promised to. :rolleyes:  
Doc

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  Marion Morrison

"I do not fear my government.  I fear what my government will cause me to become."   Docliberty

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2003, 07:30:11 pm »

Wouldn't it be easier to just not take insurance? There's a doctor up in these parts who does that, and he reports that his income went UP. He extends credit to people instead, or rather a payment schedule, if they need it. Just like old times. I forget all the details.  
from an undisclosed secure location far, far outside Ohio

Hunter's Seventieth Rule: The Internet needs a "three strikes and you're out" rule. Of the gene pool, I mean.

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2003, 07:34:12 pm »

Hunter,

If you do get that smuggling operation going, let me know about that burly guy position.. I am certain that I qualify. Without giving away too much let me just say that I am well over average height and mass, but plenty able to handle myself and the tools of the trade..  :D  :ph34r:
Hmmmn. I'll keep the offer in mind, anyway. So far I'm frankly not convinced you're practical enough to have covering my back. But keepin' in mind some of my granddad and uncle's stories about foxhole philosophers, not worth completely ruling out immediately. Ya really don't know somebody until that first crunch - even yourself. (Hmmn...)

Hunter's Seventieth Rule: The Internet needs a "three strikes and you're out" rule. Of the gene pool, I mean.

Docliberty

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2003, 07:37:52 pm »

Actually Hunter it is easier and more profitable and for that matter, much more true to principle to take cash and let people collect from their own insurance company (if they have one).  It gives you the latitude to extend credit at your discretion.  It just did my little heart good to imagine someone of Storm size and attributes "discussing" payment practices with the dweeby little adjusters. :D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2003, 07:40:25 pm by Docliberty »
Doc

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  Marion Morrison

"I do not fear my government.  I fear what my government will cause me to become."   Docliberty

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2003, 07:47:36 pm »

That is what I always do by preference. Of course, that says *I* have to do the arguing with the insurance company. Or my sister the lawyer - amazing sometimes what a letter from a lawyer quoting their own rules to them will do.  

Docliberty

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2003, 08:20:36 pm »

Insurance companies have saved a lot of money over the years by playing the doctor and patient against each other.  They play the odds and win when about 80% of the people just take what they hand them and say OK.  Once people get used to the idea of paying directly, they like it.  Especially if the doctors office has someone to help them collect from the insurance company.  The companies hate it because they are dealing directly with the people that have the contract.  It puts them in a much weaker position.  
Doc

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2003, 09:38:42 pm »

Trust me, they STILL just stonewall a lot of times. I've actually had insurance reps tell me "yes, you're right, you are entitled to that, but we're still not paying, and there is nothing you can do about it. " And they are pretty much right, if you aren't willing to go to the State in one shape or another to enforce the contract. Haven't yet found an insurance carrier that has a binding arbitration clause.  

Storm

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2003, 08:20:42 am »

Hmmmn. I'll keep the offer in mind, anyway. So far I'm frankly not convinced you're practical enough to have covering my back. But keepin' in mind some of my granddad and uncle's stories about foxhole philosophers, not worth completely ruling out immediately. Ya really don't know somebody until that first crunch - even yourself. (Hmmn...)

Actually the matter of trust would be completely reversed, for as you have seen from out discussions I do not revolve around preconceived "sacred" ideas, but rather stand on principle arrived at through very careful examination of reality. It is difficult if not impossible to find a more secure foundation than that. ONe always knows what to expect from such an individual, where as those who chose some position or idea to be sacred, to be beyond question,  may act in unpredictable ways when in a crunch.

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2003, 10:17:39 am »

You come up with some WEIRD ideas. <shrug>

Sunni

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2003, 04:35:03 pm »

Storm wrote:
Actually the matter of trust would be completely reversed ....
Are you suggesting Hunter isn't trustworthy? Please note that his post said nothing on the subject of trust, but rather practicality. While trust is often part of practicality, the two are not the same thing.

Storm

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2003, 05:59:03 pm »

Sunni,

I was merely noting that Hunters lack of trust in me, based on the fact that I had the audacity to question at least one of his sacred views (in complete ignorance that the view was sacred) was misplaced. He pretended that because I can think rationally that I must be impractical in such situations. Do we need to go through the many reasons why this does not follow?

I did a quick comparison, noting that if one actually thinks critically about the issues, and is inclined to jump to such hasty conclusions, then the available evidence suggests that those taking his approach would be less reliable than those who stand on principle and think critically about issues.

To tell the truth I was sorry to see the pot shot taken in the first place, or even the emotional responses that preceeded it.

BTW the issue of trust was implicit in the notion of watching his back.

Carl

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2003, 09:10:56 pm »

I was merely noting that Hunters lack of trust in me, based on the fact that I had the audacity to question at least one of his sacred views
You really should read Hunter's post once again. He never said anything whatsoever about your trustworthiness. He said he was unsure of the practicality.

For what it's worth, Hunter has already proven his own trustworthiness to many people, myself included. And I don't trust to that level very easily.

Practice some of that vaunted rationality of yours just this once.

Storm

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2003, 09:51:22 pm »

Carl,

I would suggest that you take your own advice and read his post. Then honestly read my own and note that in fact I have already demonstrated how trust is indeed the issue.

BTW Hunter's claims were NOT about the practicality of the issue, but about MY practicality in his eyes from his unfounded assumptions about me. His claim was that he was not convinced of MY practicality, thus could not be trusted (this was implicit) to watch his back.

Now also if you will read it, my comments were all posted in a light hearted manner, until the nonsensical personal and emotional responses began. I fail to see the need for that sort of response in the first place. Hunter's I can somewhat understand as bleed over from my questioning some sacred belief of his in another thread, but the other peculiar and emotional responses are not only without merit, they are inexplicable.  

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2003, 12:33:41 am »

"Big Guy Collections Agency"

Do you need help collecting on a debt, but can't afford a lawyer?
Do you have a problem best not solved in court?

Call "Big Guy Collection Agency" and have Guido, Mick or Sven come and
help present your case to the dead beat who's causing you grief...

Nah, in real life, this doesn't work too well.

On a few occasions I've intimidated someone just by raising my voice a little. The result is
the deer-in-the-headlights, I've-just-shit-my-pants look. The problem is the mental vapor lock
that goes with it. I'm (almost) never trying to intimidate someone, I usually am just wanting
them to DO THEIR JOB.

What happens then is that they hear my voice, but not what I'm saying. I then have
to 'make nice' and calm them down so that actually HEAR what I'm trying to communicate
to  them. Yeesh!

Bear  &lt;_&lt;

"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

Sunni

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2003, 09:26:30 am »

Storm wrote:
.... my comments were all posted in a light hearted manner, until the nonsensical personal and emotional responses began.

Emotional responses are necessarily nonsensical in your view? Not an attack question, I simply want to understand ...

I fail to see the need for that sort of response in the first place. Hunter's I can somewhat understand as bleed over from my questioning some sacred belief of his in another thread, but the other peculiar and emotional responses are not only without merit, they are inexplicable.

Not by individuals who grok friendship.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up