The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Earning a living in the Free State  (Read 22114 times)

Ian

• aka Elf-Boy
Earning a living in the Free State
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2003, 07:32:27 pm »

Hey, Chris! Howzit goin'?
And Tomlinson took up the tale and spoke of his good in life.
"O this I have read in a book," he said, "and that was told to me,
"And this I have thought that another man thought of a Prince in Muscovy."
The good souls flocked like homing doves and bade him clear the path,
And Peter twirled the jangling Keys in weariness and wrath.
"Ye have read, ye have heard, ye have thought," he said, "and the tale is yet to run:
"By the worth of the body that once ye had, give answer—what ha' ye done?"

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2003, 08:31:17 pm »

How's it been, Chris. Glad to see you made it.

Let me see. Prototyping/Modelling - don't know much about this kind of business in NH, but I can provide you some evidence that they may be a bit rare, as well as a potential contact who might be able to tell you more about the possibilities up here. The guy who owns one of the local gun shops is a fair machinist, and has a pretty good shop for gunsmithing. I've several times seen people come into the store and make arrangements to do minor prototyping with him. That would seem to indicate to me that there might be quite a pent-up demand for such things up here.

Knifemaking. Hmmn. I can't think of a knifemaker working up in this area. Probably is one. I tend to agree with you that it is a better thing to do as a hobby. Once you've got a name and rep you might be able to make some money at it, but in the beginning it is awful hard to compete.

Network Engineering and Support. Definitely some demand for that up here. I used to do this sort of work as a sideline when I lived in Boston, and know somebody who did it up here, too. There are enough businesses in the southern tier of cities that I think this is a definite possibility.

Freelance Sound Engineer. Another good and highly portable line of work. Always high demand for somebody who knows sound gear and has a van full of same. When I managed shows I knew a couple of guys in this business. An awful lot of "enthusiasts" try to get into it, and operate less than professionally. So if you are a sharp, professional operator you really stand out. Again, your main possibilities for customers are going to be concentrated in the southern tier where the bulk of the population is. You might want to consider locating someplace like Concord; from there you could reach anywhere in the state. And it is far enough north you won't get calls from across the New Iron Curtain and run into THOSE complications - yeah, it would be more work, but besides the risk of entering occupied territory, you would have to deal with the Mass Department of Revenue, who make the IRS look like decent fellows.

from an undisclosed secure location far, far outside Ohio

Hunter's Seventieth Rule: The Internet needs a "three strikes and you're out" rule. Of the gene pool, I mean.

Jac

• CPC? I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you...
    • http://www.russmo.com
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2003, 12:21:55 am »

You wear that dress around me and you can have ANY of my guns finished any ol' way you like.
No kidding! I thought Sunni was supposed to distract the baddies, not us! :P  
I have never regretted that I chose to "take the red pill." But there are days, just rarely, when the truth is so ugly, so brutal, so unmerciful, so relentless, that even if I wouldn't rip the truth from the wall socket and hurl it out the window to crash on the sidewalk below, I wouldn't mind if it featured a snooze button so we could savor just a few more moments in slumbered pretension and warm, fuzzy lies pulled snugly up over our heads.
--PSM

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2004, 01:52:46 am »

I didn't want to start a new thread, so tracked this one down. I was over at Backwoods Home getting Claire's new article and thought I would check out what Dave Duffy had to say and found this.
The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2004, 02:35:10 am »

Ragnar,

Yeah sometimes folks forget that this world needs ditch digggers and sh*t shovelers too......
Find a job that no one else wants to do and do it well, and one should have a steady stream of customers.

Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Junker

« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2004, 03:17:46 am »

Yupper. The article shows one good idea, but I'll bet there's a lot more all around what that couple were doing. Ident any hard-- heavy, hot, sweaty, smelly-- job and you got something to make money doing. That's part of the US societal drift-- nobody wants to work anymore, particularly at the 'hard' jobs. That's prolly what stops gulchin' more than anything-- actually having to go outside and sweat.

rockchucker

• ... death awaits you all with nasty pointy teeth!
    • FreedomSight
« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2004, 11:15:10 am »

Think someone will start an FSP bordello? If so, I bet s/he doesn't use the porcupine logo!  :lol:
I started off laughing at this remark and then stopped and said..."OUCH!"

Theres are reason you don't...uh...."mess" with a porcupine!
How do porcupines make love?
... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Put a little birdhouse in your soul. -- TMBG

FreedomSight
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up