The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Coup: Overthrow  (Read 11012 times)

Kirsten

Re: The Coup: Overthrow
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2007, 09:24:06 am »

« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 07:26:46 pm by Kirsten »

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2007, 09:31:35 am »

Many interesting possibilities here, guys. Sorry for the couple of days silence. I've been waiting quietly in the wings, wondering if anybody was going to consider the fact that the new pup .... might be female.

Well, of course.  That's why 'Outlaw' was my very first suggestion.   :mellow:

:laugh: Nice try, Kirsten.
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

AnotherArmchair

• Okay, who didn't see that coming?
    • Oldsmoblogger
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2007, 11:56:40 am »

If it's a female, how about Boudicca (Bou, for short)?
Will shall be the sterner, heart the bolder, spirit the greater as our strength lessens.

Evil Twin

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2007, 12:23:33 pm »

I've been waiting quietly in the wings, wondering if anybody was going to consider the fact that the new pup .... might be female.

Hey now!  Back on page 2 I said, "How about Eris if its a girl?"

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2007, 12:28:32 pm »

Many interesting possibilities here, guys. Sorry for the couple of days silence. I've been waiting quietly in the wings, wondering if anybody was going to consider the fact that the new pup .... might be female.

But of course, we all know all dogs are male, right?  :laugh:

I'm thinking maybe the Goodins' new pup will be Galilea, or perhaps Galatea, aka "Gallie." Still can't say why, but I'm very partial to that "Gallie," even though I was originally thinking more in terms of another political or philosophical name like many of the ones you guys have suggested. It's fun, watching the creative juices flow.

Anyhow, it's going to be  a while yet before we see that new pup.

Since it is the Goodins' pup and probably female what about Rosa ? (Rosa Parks ?)
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2007, 12:45:25 pm »

Hey now!  Back on page 2 I said, "How about Eris if its a girl?"

You did. Mea culpa! Evil Twin was the first person to relize that dogs have two sexes. (I mean, not all in one dog, of course, but ...) You're right, ET. I bow humbly and beg forgiveness.

Hm. Eris, Rosa, Boudicca (good one, AnotherArmchair) ... I think I'm liking these girl names better than I liked the boy names.
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

Jac

• CPC? I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you...
    • http://www.russmo.com
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2007, 01:01:36 pm »

What was Mrs. Nat's first name?
I have never regretted that I chose to "take the red pill." But there are days, just rarely, when the truth is so ugly, so brutal, so unmerciful, so relentless, that even if I wouldn't rip the truth from the wall socket and hurl it out the window to crash on the sidewalk below, I wouldn't mind if it featured a snooze button so we could savor just a few more moments in slumbered pretension and warm, fuzzy lies pulled snugly up over our heads.
--PSM

Evil Twin

« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2007, 01:07:06 pm »

No worries.  :)

My last three dogs have been female.  People always seem to ask some variation of,  "What kind of dog is he?"   Lots of people assume dogs are male and cats are female.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 03:55:19 pm by Evil Twin »

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2007, 01:15:24 pm »

What was Mrs. Nat's first name?

Good question. I dunno. I could never remember, so I think every time I referred to her in a column, I just made up a new one.  :rolleyes:

Guess I better go check the one we put on her headstone.

Evil Twin

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2007, 01:58:41 pm »

This is from A Death in Hardyville.

Marta Rose Ericsson Lyons, born May 18, 1931, died April 11, 2006. Most of us, to tell you the truth, had never even known her full name. She was just Mrs. Nat, one of those women born to be a wife and made in heaven to be a grandmother. Everybody's grandmother.

Kirsten

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2007, 03:45:48 pm »

« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 07:27:30 pm by Kirsten »

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2007, 04:31:36 pm »

Thank you, Evil Twin. Thank you, Kirsten. Damn, I'm just getting all the heck corrected out of me today, aren't I? Whap! Whap! Whap! That's the sound of the wet noodle slapping my bare and bleeding flesh. And me deserving every noodly minute of the misery.

Jasmine ... yep. After the lion in Secondhand Lions -- which Thunder and LIghtning had just watched, if memory serves. (And as I will go back and check.)

Marta Rose ... yep.

Gonna go crawl off into my corner now. My only defense is that, after a two month godawful dry spell, I'm on a writing roll and have just finished seven episodes of the next Hardyville series. (See, ET, maybe you inspired me, after all ...) So I'm in writer mode, which means I haven't been particularly attached to reality this week.

Kirsten

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2007, 05:06:45 pm »

« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 07:27:45 pm by Kirsten »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up