The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Outlaw Trail  (Read 134927 times)

George Potter

Re: Outlaw Press
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2007, 08:38:56 pm »

Unfortunately, it seems the name 'Outlaw Press' is already taken...

http://avalon.albuquerque.nm.us/resume/outlaw/index.html

I don't think that matters so long as we use a different logo. If it does, NP -- we'll just be Outlaw.

ShortyDawkins

• Liberty Vanguard 2011
  • Legends are made here.
    • Shorty Dawkins Freedom Outlaw
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2007, 10:21:35 pm »

Unfortunately, it seems the name 'Outlaw Press' is already taken...

http://avalon.albuquerque.nm.us/resume/outlaw/index.html

I don't think that matters so long as we use a different logo. If it does, NP -- we'll just be Outlaw.

Or possibly 'The Outlaws"?

Added: Published by The Outlaws
Has a nice ring to it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 10:46:40 pm by ShortyDawkins »
Shorty Dawkins Freedom Outlaw
http://www.shortydawkins.weebly.com

lewlew

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2007, 10:53:13 pm »

Please keep us in mind for graphic design and promotional offset printing.  lulu is a great POD publisher. I think you'll be very happy with the work they do.

George Potter

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2007, 11:09:09 pm »

I just want my books to have the Outlaw Press logo, with stylized wolf's head and the motto "Freedom is more than a word."

Nice. I have a tentative logo on the title page, but if you'll send that along as clip art (.jpg), I can put it in and re-size it to suit.

Heh. Sorry, but I don't actually have a logo. I just thought it seemed natural. :P

Pagan

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2007, 05:12:14 am »

All the wolves I can find are not satisfactory; the best stylized wolf I know is Claire's (the one she draws on her signature) but that's hers.
If we don't use a wolf, can we use an outlaw graphic?

lewlew, do you have a stylized wolf (or outlaw, for that matter) in your graphics repertoire that might be suitable?

Re: name: how about Outlaw Publishing (Co.)?

velojym

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2007, 08:32:50 am »

How about an old-west style outlaw, black hat, boots, pistol, and all?
Or something like the Skoal Bandits thing, just a simple drawing with
a bandanna and a hat.
Or, you can change the logo on the books themselves, using the same style, but
adjusting it to fit the book's theme? (maybe not, I guess it would confuzzle some folks)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 08:40:35 am by velojym »

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2007, 09:19:31 am »

All the wolves I can find are not satisfactory; the best stylized wolf I know is Claire's (the one she draws on her signature) but that's hers.
If we don't use a wolf, can we use an outlaw graphic?

Well, if you want a wolf, I can draw you up a cleaner version of the wolf profile I've been using to sign my drawings. Just let me know.

You're also welcome to use that eerie-looking wolf face that appears at the top of Wolfesblog (and that used to be my avatar here before it mysteriously disappeared).
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Pagan

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2007, 09:24:49 am »

velojym
How about an old-west style outlaw, black hat, boots, pistol, and all?

Yeah, I thought about that, and even have an old-west style bandit in my clip art which looks pretty good.

Or, you can change the logo on the books themselves, using the same style, but
adjusting it to fit the book's theme? (maybe not, I guess it would confuzzle some folks)

Well that confuzzles me, because I'm not sure how that would work. :-)  Explain please.

Added: Whoops, just saw Claire's post.

Claire, I think your signature wolf would be great, or a stylized version (not a photo) of the wolf at the top.

However, I also think an outlaw logo would fit the name of the business better if it's called Outlaw (Press/Publishing/Freedom Outlaw or whatever). But I'll leave it up to George and the others. (Besides I don't think a wolf IS an outlaw; it's just a "wild thang" doing its own thing.)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 09:35:24 am by Pagan »

velojym

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2007, 11:47:00 am »

I too like the wolf idea.

To explain the morphing logo, using other books as examples: Rebelfire might be a guitar, or a silhouette of the dog and his boy.
The Black Arrow might be a simple bow and arrow, and they'd all share a style, or color scheme.
Perhaps black on yellow... Don't Tread on Me. Or, the shared element could be a particular style of border around the icon.

ShortyDawkins

• Liberty Vanguard 2011
  • Legends are made here.
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2007, 11:53:16 am »

I like both the Wolf idea AND the Outlaw idea. The wolf symbolizes, to me, an outlaw creature.

Shorty

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2007, 01:02:43 pm »

However, I also think an outlaw logo would fit the name of the business better if it's called Outlaw (Press/Publishing/Freedom Outlaw or whatever). But I'll leave it up to George and the others. (Besides I don't think a wolf IS an outlaw; it's just a "wild thang" doing its own thing.)

Well, I will await orders then. Or lack of them. (Aren't I a good little soldier?  :rolleyes: )

But I agree with Shorty; the wolf is an outlaw creature. "A wild thang doing its own thing" is pretty much the definition of a freedom outlaw. A masked bandit logo, for instance, implies less freedom than a wolf.
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

velojym

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2007, 01:06:29 pm »

Pirate?  :icon_pirat:

Pagan

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2007, 01:11:58 pm »

I like both logos too, Shorty.

However as said before, I don't consider a wolf as an outlaw -- it just IS... itself, its own entity, with its own qualities. (Which might make it right for George, after all.) But we, as humans, have placed it in the outlaw category because we don't like the way it acts toward us, we can't control it, we don't think it gives us enough respect. (Which is odd when you think about it, because the dog evolved from the wolf, and they are, in one sense, exact opposites toward humans.)  

Thanks for the explanation, velojym. It's not a bad idea; that could work, too, to indicate a "theme" of each book.
I like the color scheme idea, in any case; we could use it with or without a logo; we could use it with ANY logo; and the black and yellow is definitely a winner.

Any other ideas from anybody?

P.S: It seems everybody is writing at the same time.

A masked bandit logo, for instance, implies less freedom than a wolf.

Yeah, I can see that. Please do draw a wolf for us, Claire.

ShortyDawkins

• Liberty Vanguard 2011
  • Legends are made here.
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2007, 01:18:03 pm »

I like both logos too, Shorty.

However as said before, I don't consider a wolf as an outlaw -- it just IS... itself, its own entity, with its own qualities. (Which might make it right for George, after all.) But we, as humans, have placed it in the outlaw category because we don't like the way it acts toward us, we can't control it, we don't think it gives us enough respect. (Which is odd when you think about it, because the dog evolved from the wolf, and they are, in one sense, exact opposites toward humans.)  

Excellent thoughts, Pagan. We are Outlaws because we choose to be. Lone Wolves who follow a different drummer.

Thanks for the explanation, velojym. It's not a bad idea; that could work, too, to indicate a "theme" of each book.
I like the color scheme idea, in any case; we could use it with or without a logo; we could use it with ANY logo; and the black and yellow is definitely a winner.

Black and yellow definitely sounds good.

Shorty

Pagan

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2007, 01:23:49 pm »

If we can't use Outlaw Press, maybe Lone Wolf Press...hmm?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19   Go Up