The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Instant vs Non-Instant powdered milk?  (Read 2454 times)

teotwawki

Instant vs Non-Instant powdered milk?
« on: January 16, 2007, 08:42:29 pm »

Ok, who can tell me why I would want one or the other?  Besides the "instant" part.

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Re: Instant vs Non-Instant powdered milk?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 09:28:46 am »

Ok, who can tell me why I would want one or the other?  Besides the "instant" part.

The instant is fine for cooking. But if you actually plan to drink the stuff, the non-instant is tastier.

Well, to whatever extent powdered milk can actually be said to be "tasty."

I'm not sure if there's a nutritional difference. Will Google later if I have time. Or perhaps someone else here will know.

In any case, it can be a good idea to have a little of both kinds. Keep in mind, however, that milk powder has only a medium-length storage life -- about five years, max, when sealed in a #10 can. This is definitely an item to use up and renew regularly.
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Docliberty

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 10:16:13 am »

About a half a teaspoon of vanilla per quart of powdered milk makes it much more pallatable.  We have used the stuff for years and store it in five gallon buckets pre-measured in zip-lock bags.  One quart per bag.
Doc

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  Marion Morrison

"I do not fear my government.  I fear what my government will cause me to become."   Docliberty

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 11:28:36 am »

Mom used both varieties for recipies, but since we had a milk barter deal going we had fresh, fresh milk and homemade butter too (Blender made it out of the cream in a snap).  I know we bought it when it was on sale, usually enough to last until the next.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

teotwawki

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 09:30:50 pm »

Rarick is your avatar the image of a Cardassian?

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 05:45:27 pm »

Swampthing.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up