The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hope for us yet  (Read 5303 times)

NuclearDruid

Hope for us yet
« on: January 31, 2007, 10:29:49 am »

I just finished reading Claire's blog entry and it dovetails nicely with a book that I just finished yesterday. It was a 1972 reprint of The Ponca Chiefs by Thomas Henry Tibbles. It a wonderful narative on the trial of Standing Bull in 1879. I happened to be at the university library pulling some books on the Seminoles when I happened to scan the nearby shelves (as I am wont to do) and found this one. It had never been checked out in it's 35 years of sitting on the shelf, so it just screamed at me to be read.

Anyway, it deals with Habeas Corpus, and is the first time that the Government recognized Indians as persons. It has it all; a military general that was "just following orders", several corrupt BIA bureaucrats, a judge with a firm understanding of a Constitution, a newspaper editor that understands why a free press exists, and an Indian chief with incredible insight.

The reason this pertains to the Gitmo detainees is in his rulling Judge Dundy declares that Habeas Corpus applies to all persons and is not limited to citizens and that even when a detained person is under control of the military he still has recourse through the judicial systems.

For a quick synopsis of the case you can check out this article from the Nebraska Bar (pdf) but if anyone else finds this book in their library I would recommend that you check it out.

ND
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 04:10:05 pm by NuclearDruid »
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Re: Hope for us yet
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 11:27:24 am »

My library doesn't have it, alas. But when I searched on "ponca chiefs" I did turn up a videocassette called "The Trial of Standing Bear." Might also try to get the book you mention through inter-library loan.

Too bad the lesson about habeas corpus is one we have to learn over and over and over.
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Thunder

• Go away, boy! Ya bother me! -Foghorn Leghorn
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 12:02:17 pm »

The Ponca Chiefs is available through Claire's store, but it's running at about $84 for the original.  There's another version called Standing Bear and the Ponca Chiefs that is a much more reasonable $14.  Both are authored or co-authored by Mr. Tibbles.
Thunder[/color][/font]

There are times, sir, when men of good conscience cannot blindly follow orders.  -Capt. Jean-Luc Picard

Wars will cease when people start loving their children more than they love the government.

People use the term 'chaos' only when they can't see far enough to view the big picture.   -Deepak Chopra

There are no illegal guns, only illegal gun laws.

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 04:32:54 am »

The Ponca Chiefs is available through Claire's store, but it's running at about $84 for the original.  There's another version called Standing Bear and the Ponca Chiefs that is a much more reasonable $14.  Both are authored or co-authored by Mr. Tibbles.

Grumble Grumble, always adding to my reading list. Columbus Public has one copy of Standing Bear and the Ponca chiefs of which I am now #1 on the reserve list. It states on the "Full Description" (highlight in red is mine)
Author:  Tibbles, Thomas Henry, 1840-1928.
Title:  Standing Bear and the Ponca chiefs /
Publishing Information:  Lincoln : University of Nebraska Press, 1995.
Physical Description:  xiii, 143 p. ; 21 cm.
Uniform Title:  Ponca chiefs
Alternate Title:  Standing Bear & the Ponca chiefs
General Notes:  "Bison books"--Spine.
Originally published: Ponca chiefs. Boston : Lockwood, Brooks, 1880.
Includes bibliographical references.
Additional Author:  Graber, Kay, 1938-

My library doesn't have it, alas. But when I searched on "ponca chiefs" I did turn up a videocassette called "The Trial of Standing Bear." Might also try to get the book you mention through inter-library loan.

Too bad the lesson about habeas corpus is one we have to learn over and over and over.
I see that video was narrated by William Shatner.
I do see many copies of the book on OCLC WorldCat avalilable for inter-library loan.
The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)

canaan

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 07:18:13 pm »

I found the book, but unfortunately it's  considered a reference book in the history section and can't be checked out. Looks like I'll be spending a bit of time there.

the small one

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 09:34:48 pm »

Will Grigg  used the stories of Chief Standing Bear and Chief Big Snake  to very good effect in his three-part blog topic "Opening the Gates of the Gulag"  on his Pro Liberte website. You might like to read that if you are already impressed with the Ponca chiefs (mid-Nov.):   http://freedominourtime.blogspot.com/2006_11_01_archive.html

NuclearDruid

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 04:10:36 pm »

Modified to fix broken link in initial post.

ND
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

amagi

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 12:18:12 am »

Having read this thread for the first time, I found it on Google Books and Amazon.
"I also find myself on fairly firm ground identifying good and evil without resorting to my opinion of God's opinion"
LJer Tigertoy
Pages: [1]   Go Up