The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rabbit show win  (Read 2967 times)

Supertwist

Rabbit show win
« on: February 18, 2007, 09:49:35 pm »

I'm probably the only person here who shows rabbits, but I just wanted to tell someone about the huge win I had this weekend.

One of my does won Best of Breed twice and went on to win Reserve in Show and Best in Show.  Conventional wisdom is that you don't show brood animals, but this doe is almost 3 years old and has had several litters.  One of the judges said, "If anyone wants to know what Rex fur should feel like, touch this doe."  It felt really good to win my first RIS & BIS with a homebred rabbit.  She's now a Grand Champion, and is the first Rex GC in my rabbitry.

Dare2BFree

Re: Rabbit show win
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 06:13:30 am »

Supertwist - that's great!  Congrats!
If I had known that these days would have changed my life - I would have dressed better.   ~ me

No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.  ~ Judge Gideon J. Tucker

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 06:27:13 am »

Outstanding!  Mutti
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

Supertwist

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 12:34:56 am »

Very nice.  Do you raise them just to show, or for meat and fur too?

I started raising for meat 6 years ago and started showing about 3 1/2 years ago.  I chose Rex because the fur is gorgeous and because I like rabbits with color & really dislike red-eyed white rabbits.  Those pink eyes are freaky-lookin'. 

I wanted to use the fur, and have tried tanning the pelts, but haven't been successful (hair slippage & torn skins).  The last few nice pelts I had, I gave to a member of the Society for Creative Anacronism so she can add fur trim to the family's medieval garments. 

ETA link to photo of winning doe as a junior: http://ashke.sagecom.org/albums/album54/IM000593.jpg

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 10:34:37 am »

Well Done   Supertwist
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III
Pages: [1]   Go Up