The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: An Anarchist's ABCs (for Zoe)  (Read 6930 times)

cowardly lion

An Anarchist's ABCs (for Zoe)
« on: March 26, 2007, 12:30:39 pm »

This was inspired both by our attempts to write nursery rhymes with freedom-oriented themes, and George's "This A is for Anarchy" pic. It's just a first pass . . .

An Anarchist's ABCs   (for Zoe)

A is for Anarchy
The leaderless throng
B is for Bullets
Shoot fast, straight and long
C is for Credit
The siren’s song of hell
D is for Debt
Draws you down a deep well
E is for Effort
What it takes to succeed
F is for Freedom
A thing we all need
G is for Gasoline
For napalm, mix with soap
H is for Hemp
So much more than just dope
I is for Idiots
Those clowns in DC
J is for Justice
These days hard to see
K is for Killing
Old habits must die
L is for Living
Without shackle or lie
M is for Moonshine
Without tax for the state
N is for Nighttime
On our goals, working late
O is for Optimism
To see what can be
P is for Politics
Say, don’t tread on me
Q is for Quiet
A ‘ghost’ under wraps
R is for Revolt
When the branch finally snaps
S is for Sitcom
To dull down the sheep
T is for Tyrant
That lulls them to sleep
U is for United
Together we’ll stand
V for Vendetta
Guns and knives in our hand
W is for Watchword
The call in the night
X – Y – Z codenames
Of those in the fight
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 02:46:54 pm by cowardly lion »
Sic semper tyrannis, baby!    - Joel Simon

As much as we may not want to consider it, we must have a mindset that enables us to do instant and devastating violence in defense of self and/or loved ones.   -Dave Champion

It's not unusual to run into folks in the internet that are dense enough to have event horizons.

Remember, remember, the fifth of November . . . .

Don't mistake my silence for weakness - no one plans a murder out loud.

velojym

Re: A Libertarian's ABCs (for Zoe)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 12:42:36 pm »

:read2:  :thumbsup:

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 01:10:59 pm »

Wonderful!!!!!

Now, Velo, on Zoe's fifth birthday, may we expect to see the YouTube video of her reciting this from memory?
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

velojym

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 01:14:42 pm »

Uh... That'll be up to her...

:ph34r:

cowardly lion

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 01:18:11 pm »

may we expect to see the YouTube video of her reciting this from memory?

. . . while she cleans her daddy's fieldstripped pistol??  :laugh:

cl
Sic semper tyrannis, baby!    - Joel Simon

As much as we may not want to consider it, we must have a mindset that enables us to do instant and devastating violence in defense of self and/or loved ones.   -Dave Champion

It's not unusual to run into folks in the internet that are dense enough to have event horizons.

Remember, remember, the fifth of November . . . .

Don't mistake my silence for weakness - no one plans a murder out loud.

velojym

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 01:21:12 pm »

:sign10:

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 04:13:47 pm »

Very nice.

The leaderless throng

Okay. My eyes must be going out on me. For a moment I thought that said "The leaderless thong".....

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

velojym

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 04:29:04 pm »

That could be... err... :confused1:

George Potter

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 04:44:09 pm »

Awwwwwwww.  :laugh:

So viciously anti-authoritarianly SWEET! :D

Now...

...somebody illustrate it and submit it to Outlaw Trail. :)

Pagan

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 04:51:05 pm »

Now...

...somebody illustrate it and submit it to Outlaw Trail.

I'd like to gather up all the freedom poetry and put it together in a special volume of its own.

George Potter

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 01:06:53 am »

Now...

...somebody illustrate it and submit it to Outlaw Trail.

I'd like to gather up all the freedom poetry and put it together in a special volume of its own.

Well, I was imagining an illustrated childrens book, each page a different letter of the alphabet. :)

velojym

Re: An Anarchist's ABCs (for Zoe)
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 01:32:06 am »

My Mom has been bugging me about writing a book for kids. I've downloaded GIMP and have OpenOffice, so I guess I have the basic tools I'd need to put everything together in a fairly professional way.
Unfortunately for her, she and the rest of my family (excepting the school-age ones who are being brainwashed by the left) are pretty right wing. Muahahahahaha.

I'm sure she'd crap when she saw the subject matter I'd use.
 :ph34r:

Pagan

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 06:58:17 am »

Gloryroad:
Well, I was imagining an illustrated childrens book, each page a different letter of the alphabet.

How old did you figure the kids would be? I'm not sure their mamas would let them read the book. :-)

But it's a great idea. Let me look over the poetry written so far. (BTW, do YOU want to write a specific Liberty Alphabet poetry book? Write it for your daughter, George.)

Anarchyabc

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 12:19:04 pm »

Cowardly Lion, this is the first time I've come across this site, and I've been searching for a children's book of Anarchy for a long time now.  A few years ago (probably around the same time as your original post) I decided to just write and illustrate one myself.  Our tones are a bit different, but I love yours as well.  The rhyming is a good choice, and probably more marketable.

So far I've inked up to "L", which you can see here: http://brianheagney.com/html/abc_s_of_anarchy.html

I think this is great, and hopefully you'll either find someone to publish it, or self-publish through lulu.com or something.

Also, to velojym: I highly recommend looking into Inkscape in addition to Gimp, for your image creation.

What I do is this:
1. write out everything using open office.
2. draw things by hand, scan, and clean up using Gimp.  (that means using the erase tool, or painting in some more line stuff, pixel-based clean up work)
3. take that drawing, which is now a jpg, and import it into inkscape.  In inkscape, you can use vector lines and shapes to both add color, but also to add text into the imagery (hold off on the main text, as you'll see in #4).  For instance, I'd put text on a t-shirt in an image here, or on a box, or window or something.  Or sometimes I use a hand drawn jpg as a template, import it into inkscape, and trace over it using vector lines...
4. Next, use the desktop publisher: Scribus.  Using Scribus, you can layout your book by importing those .png's from Inkscape, adding your text, etc.  You can either retype your text or import it from openoffice.  The great thing about Scribus is that you can export to .pdf and upload it to lulu.com for your finished book!

I would actually love to see this poem get turned into an illustrated book, so velojym, it's been a couple years, has it happened yet?.

Also, from the response I've been getting for my own project, people love it and we need more books like this.  Do it Do it Do it!

« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 12:43:38 pm by Anarchyabc »

velojym

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 08:07:36 pm »

Geez... time flies. I've been pretty busy, and completely forgot about this!

I'll look into that technique, though, and I'll see what I can do.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up