The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: WI driving Amish out with livestock ID  (Read 9494 times)

NuclearDruid

WI driving Amish out with livestock ID
« on: April 20, 2007, 09:27:16 am »

I guess it's safe to say they won't be heading to Missouri.

Amish dairy farmers share concerns about livestock IDs

About 200 Amish dairy producers recently met with state officials to again protest a state-mandated livestock identification system they claim will force them to choose between their religion and their livelihood.

The Amish, citing specific Biblical passages, say they are prohibited from buying and selling animals that are numbered, and consider it the “mark of the beast.”

Meeting Thursday in an auction barn on Irish Ridge near Cashton, Wis., a number of the Amish producers said they may stop selling milk and animals if they cannot operate without the number.

Kapanke and Rude, who sits on the nine-member DATCAP board, both said the law is likely here to stay.

Both were also aware of the concerns in the Amish community.

“I think there was a letter sent out that said, ‘You don’t follow the law, there will be fines, etc.,’” Rude said. “I think we can get people to participate in this without being threatening or using heavy-handed tactics like that.”

Bureaucratese for "In retrospect, we should have used a bigger carrot while hiding the stick." :rolleyes:

ND
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

teotwawki

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 09:38:44 am »

« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 11:34:25 pm by teotwawki »

NuclearDruid

Re: WI driving Amish out with livestock ID
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 08:52:29 am »

Livestock registration law opposed

"We knew this was going to be an educational process so we cut people some slack," she said. "We're nearly a year and a half into it and we thought that was enough slack."

"As a result, some Amish farmers have already sold their animals in order to avoid risking a confrontation with the government, while others have found themselves registered against their will by milk haulers and dairy processors fearing loss of their suppliers."

emphasis mine.

"All we have asked people to do, if you have any kind of livestock from chickens on up, is to go fill out a form saying what species you have on this property, where is it and who is in charge of them,"

ND
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

NuclearDruid

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 09:24:46 am »

Update: Enforcement put on hold

Premise ID enforcement put on hold

The state of Wisconsin has stopped short, so far, of putting farmers who won’t accept a premise ID numbers, out of business.

The Wisconsin Department of Agriculture Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) issued a press release Friday saying it would still allow milk transporters and creameries to accept milk from farms that did not have a premise ID.

ND

linuxfan

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 11:26:11 am »

Now,  this brings up the same question I ask myself a lot, which is "Whyinhell is it their damned business what kind of livestock i got on my own property?"

NuclearDruid

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 09:16:34 am »

WI government open season on Amish linking their non-compliance to pseudorabies outbreak. (Those always-helpful, fair-minded bureaucrats.) :rolleyes:

Half of sites where swine kept near disease were unregistered

The state’s response to a potentially fatal swine disease was hindered last month by farms that failed to register where their animals are kept as required by law, officials say.

“This time it was pseudorabies — serious and fatal in many cases, but not a disease that moves terribly fast or that harms humans, “ said Rod Nilsestuen, state agriculture secretary. “What if it had been foot-and-mouth disease? What if it had been the deadly strain of avian influenza? We were lucky — this time.”

“While we did that, the owners of the registered premises waited for us to test their animals so they could get out from under quarantine,” Nilsestuen said. “And they wondered why they were losing money when they’d done the right thing.”

Many of those who have not registered their premises and received a farm ID number in both the swine and dairy industries are some Amish who cite religious reasons, DATCP spokeswoman Donna Gilson said. Others apparently have not signed up because they believe it is an “insidious” government program, she said.

Gratuitous, outraged quisling quote.

“I’m not angry,” he said. “I understand religious freedom and that they have a right to challenge. But if I have to follow the law, they should, too.”

ND

Not a TMM member

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 10:54:59 pm »

:laugh:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 03:17:40 am by Not a TMM member »
Not sympathetic to the tinfoil hat crowd.

NuclearDruid

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 10:50:38 am »

The AP wire has picked up this Dept. of Ag. propaganda piece. Now the Amish in Wisconsin can get trashed as far away as Alaska and the UK.

ND

NuclearDruid

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 03:00:11 pm »

Michigan joins Wisconsin in pressuring the Amish. :brave:

'To me, the Beast is the computer.' Battle over cattle tags pits food safety against Amish religious rights.

All over Michigan, Amish farmers are resisting the state program requiring that all cattle be tagged with the electronic chips before they can be sold. Some say they will quit farming if it comes to it. Some say they will leave the state.

``They keep saying that, and that's their choice,'' said Kevin Kirk, who coordinates the program for the state agriculture department. ``Our No. 1 goal is animal health, human health and food safety. I know it's hard sometimes to trust the government, but that's what we're asking is trust us.''

Trust us!!! :violent1: :sign10: :snorting: :wacko: :thrshocker:

So basically the goobermint is saying this is only about safety. If you eat food produced by the Amish it's going to kill you. It seems to me Agent Smith should just be waiting for every Amish person to die by consuming their own putrified food so that the problem takes care of itself. :ph34r:

ND
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 03:03:38 pm by NuclearDruid »

NuclearDruid

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 10:17:55 am »

Amish continue to fight for their rights in Wisconsin.

Governments in Wisconsin, Amish clash over religious freedom

Among the 600,000-plus hunters heading out for last year’s gun-deer season were three Clark County brothers who were cited for not wearing blaze orange — clothing, they said, that was against their Amish religion.

Members of the religious sect noted for their black felt hats, dark trousers, long dresses and bonnets are barred from wearing bright clothing.

But a Clark County judge ruled last month that there’s nothing in the Amish religion that compels them to hunt deer. So each brother was fined $143.10.

ND

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 11:35:29 am »

From the same article:

In November, Jacob J. Gingerich, 22, Aaron J. Gingerich, 17, and Herman Gingerich, 21, were cited for hunting deer on their family’s land near Loyal without wearing blaze orange clothing.

On their own land.....Why can't they just hunt naked painted with Blue Swirls if they want to??

Mutti
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

Nedda of the Hill

• Stand
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 02:23:00 pm »

After pseudorabies was discovered last year on two Clark County swine farms — one Amish and one non-Amish — state health inspectors had to contact every farm within a five-mile radius. But since only half of those farms had registered with the state, it took inspectors two days to drive up every road in the outbreak area and alert farmers, something that had could have done much quicker by phone if they all had been registered under the state law, assistant state veterinarian Paul McGraw said.

Wait a second...they could have contacted the neighboring Amish farms by PHONE???  :thinking:   :skeptical:   

clarence

• sui juris, in propia persona
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 12:48:58 am »

After pseudorabies was discovered last year on two Clark County swine farms — one Amish and one non-Amish — state health inspectors had to contact every farm within a five-mile radius. But since only half of those farms had registered with the state, it took inspectors two days to drive up every road in the outbreak area and alert farmers, something that had could have done much quicker by phone if they all had been registered under the state law, assistant state veterinarian Paul McGraw said.

Wait a second...they could have contacted the neighboring Amish farms by PHONE???  :thinking:   :skeptical:   

well, now we know you don't work for the .gov; you can think. :laugh:

clarence
je suis contre

tu ne cede malis

"Don't feel bad, most species of large mammal die off...it's just our turn." Herb Ruhs, MD

fcb98292

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 10:57:25 pm »

I can see, this first day on the forum, that the average IQ is higher here than in the ordinary political and survival forums. I look forward to this community's knowledge.

hangman

• Senator, +Lampost, +Rope. Some assembly required
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 04:04:29 pm »

At some point very soon it will become necessary to push back or perish. I know there have been isolated incidents of retribution, but I'm talking about mass uprising. If we do not, soon it will be too late.
Live Free Or Die: Death is not the worst of evils.

"Resist much, obey little." ~ Walt Whitman

If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws. EDWARD ABBEY
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up