The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Matrix-Lite, On The Fly Access To Your Life  (Read 5240 times)

unstructuredreality

Matrix-Lite, On The Fly Access To Your Life
« on: June 22, 2004, 02:20:52 pm »

"Officers in Troop F, the State Police unit at Logan, are getting wireless BlackBerry devices linked to LocatePlus's database that includes 7 billion records containing information on 98 percent of the adults in the United States. That could include anything from unlisted phone numbers to names on a lease."

http://www.boston.com/business/globe/artic...atabase_access/

If the MATRIX systems won't go, why not just implement it anyway so that people won't readily know.

"A name, that's all he needs," said LocatePlus chief executive Jon Latorella. "He can find out who you lived with, where you lived, anything about you. We have every unlisted phone number in the country. Our stuff is instant, instead of having to wait until after the fact of a bombing."

Here is the importance of the Supremes decision and giving a name.  From the article, the cops plan to stop people who "look suspicious" and run them.  Best to be in the 2 percent  
stop flying too.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 11:57:04 am by unstructuredreality »

NuclearDruid

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 09:45:31 am »

Here's the link for the LocatePlus demo.

LocatePlus

Pretty slick. They'll provide their "Gold" level information package for only $7.50 a search.

"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

Mostly Harmless

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 10:02:02 am »

"A name, that's all he needs," said LocatePlus chief executive Jon Latorella

Now isn't that reassuring. After all names are so individual. There's absolutely no possibilty of misidentification or confusion here /saracsm.

Sorry, but I know databases and I know database error rates. Even a 0.1% error rate (which is staggeringly good for most databases) wil give you 70,000 erroneous records on a 7,000,000 record database.

Unless there is some method for individuals to challenge their information on these sorts of databases we're totally screwed. There might be a little more incentive for a private company to keep records accurate than there is for fed.gov, but even so.... Have you ever tried to get information corrected in a public database?  

Bobaloo

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 10:27:42 am »

Sorry, but I know databases and I know database error rates. Even a 0.1% error rate (which is staggeringly good for most databases) wil give you 70,000 erroneous records on a 7,000,000 record database.

Mostly Harmless,

I'm a database programmer as well, and lucky enough to have a friend old enough to be from the "old school".  He used to routinely turn clients away from using SSN's as an identifying field in the databases, not out of any concern for privacy, but because only about 80% of the government's records were error-free.  Can you imagine trying to rely on a calculator that only got 80% of the answers right?  You'd get 25 answers wrong out of every 100 (that's a joke, get it?)!

Mostly Harmless

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 10:41:14 am »

Mostly Harmless,

I'm a database programmer as well, and lucky enough to have a friend old enough to be from the "old school".  He used to routinely turn clients away from using SSN's as an identifying field in the databases, not out of any concern for privacy, but because only about 80% of the government's records were error-free.  Can you imagine trying to rely on a calculator that only got 80% of the answers right?  You'd get 25 answers wrong out of every 100 (that's a joke, get it?)!
ROFL... I think.

No one seems to remember the famous GIGO acronym (Garbage In = Garbage Out) from the dinosaur days of punch cards.

One of my favorite mentors was fond of telling people "the number of detectable errors is finite, the number of undetectable errors is infinite".

I deal with health insurance data for a living. I work for a physician hospital organization. My databases run somewhere around a 5% error rate. Now, not all these errors are particularly problematic, but we've found a few doozies. Pharmacy claims that were paid where the medication, admittedly an exotic and rare one, was paid at $1,000 per pill. instead of $10. Someone missed a decimal point and instead of a $500 payment they paid out $50,000. The insurance company got it back and credited us back $49,500 which brought our pharmaceutical use back in budget for the quarter.

The demographic data is a mess. Changes of address don't go through correctly, the patient's age entered in a claim doesn't match the date of birth. Some patients seem to switch gender from week to week. None of that makes much difference, if any, to what we use the records for -- financial performance goals, quality of care (HEDIS) measures -- but it's worrying all the same.

I know the government is not as efficient as HMOs, they've got less liability and no one overseeing them.

unstructuredreality

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 11:54:58 am »

It'll really be bad when those errors pops up and innocent people are detained (they will, of course, argue that their error rates are very low and noone need worry.)  Wonder what they do the folks who are in that 2 percent that don't show up, detain them and build up a dossier right in the airport? Crazy.  If all they want is your name, which I suspect will only be one quesion asked, yes it will be easy to fool.  Add a DOB, address, etc and it'll be easier to figure out a lie if they detain someone long enough, say for a fingerprinting.  Given these are at airports for the time being, I also suspect heavy stripping of rights and indefinate detainment under federal "guidelines" until they think they know who someone is.  Again, innocent people will have to suffer.  Terror Wins again and again and again.........  Watch, in the near future, this will be used to catch normal criminals- weed smokers- and perhaps scofflaws that didn't pay their state fines.  

Good Day

Alton Speers

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 01:03:23 pm »

Incredible! When I first read of Troop F and a BlackBerry device I thought this might have been a spoof thread...until I clicked on the link. Any bets on how long until road checkpoints are setup? I can see it now, spiffy grey uniform with matching helmet and darkened face-shield, a machine-gun nest in a nearby portable tower or maybe they'll be armed with one of those new microwave weapons to toast you up for any hint of non-compliance and, of course, those lovely words asking for "Your papers please" or maybe they'll use a magnetic strip reader or even a chip reader.

I suppose that there's a number of ways they could implement this now especially since the military has spent the past 5 years focusing so much effort on urban training. People used to poo-poo "black helicopters" as the pipedreams of conspiracy theorists then they appear in major cities with troops doing training in abandoned buildings and such. Some were marked, others weren't.It doesn't mean they were actual "black helicopters" just that the markings, if any, were either not seen or not reported. WND used to have the reports (about 10-12) which were verified by other sources in their archives. The reports from about 5-7 years ago. I think I still have them on disk.

Alton

unstructuredreality

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 06:02:00 pm »

http://channels.netscape.com/ns/tech/story...733.htm&sc=1700

Good link from the blog about the same thing with some more details.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 06:03:58 pm by unstructuredreality »

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004, 07:12:55 pm »

http://channels.netscape.com/ns/tech/story...733.htm&sc=1700

Good link from the blog about the same thing with some more details.
Credit Rick for finding that one. It almost makes me wish he'd go back to sending his usual kind of articles about women beaning people with TV sets and governments requiring brothels to hire apprentices. You know ... cheerful, reasonable stuff (by comparison).
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Misfit

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2004, 09:39:06 pm »

This is very worrisome indeed....pit in your stomach stuff...

My thought is, how accurate will these databases be if you move around and change accounts, etc. a lot ?
There's got to be a lag time for them to catch up. In the past year, I've had 5 address changes...how much you want to bet all the databases still have me living at the first place?

Does BTP's privacy book still contain valid info, or is the window closing on getting out of the big red eye's gaze?

Delos

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2004, 10:32:49 am »

Though this sort of potential techno-tyranny was much further from becoming a reality 25 years ago when I first became "not a number," it is much less a disturbing issue for me in my middle age than it was then.

I take comfort in in several facts, including, but not limited to:

** There are only so many of these weasel fucktard  government goons to go around

** Most of them are not the brightest people around, and eventually they will become mired in their own ineptness

** The prospect of persecution and incarceration, though still not palatable, grows ever less fearsome as I grow closer to my earthly physical demise

** What goes around comes around, and Time wounds all heels

Remember, "Just say, 'NO!'" It drives the apparatchiks nuts!

Have a free day!

unstructuredreality

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2004, 04:19:24 pm »

http://www.lowellsun.com/Stories/0,1413,10...2263912,00.html

Some more insight about these types of systems.

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2004, 09:19:57 pm »

I'd forgotten this thread was in here,  so I went and started yet another one,  on the exact same topic,  quoting an entry from RISKS Digest...
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

unstructuredreality

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2004, 09:22:37 pm »

In a dream my mission was to expose these goons using my own blackberry, distributed widely.  However, I'm sure it will only lead to the goons putting on more masks and removing more name tags.  Anyone know how to become affiliated with the press?

kbarrett

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2004, 11:42:04 pm »

In a dream my mission was to expose these goons using my own blackberry, distributed widely.  However, I'm sure it will only lead to the goons putting on more masks and removing more name tags.  Anyone know how to become affiliated with the press?
Talk to the people running Narconews.com  .

Heh.

The psychology of “Projection”:  If you want to run people’s lives for them, then you will probably assume that any armed person wants to do the same to you. Scratch a victim-disarmament supporter, and you will always discover a fear-ridden control-freak.
Pages: [1]   Go Up