The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the fascination with Deliverance and other trash?  (Read 10604 times)

Midnight Blue

What's the fascination with Deliverance and other trash?
« on: June 17, 2007, 05:42:39 pm »

I've never seen it and don't want to. I've heard/seen tons of referrences and parodies of it and can't figure out why people would want to watch it.

Just like after trying to watch Pulp Fiction twice and not being able to get through it either time, I can't understand why people say it's such a great movie.

Just like as a woman myself I can't figure out why other women (or any men for that matter) would want to watch Brockback Mountain and on top of it try to say it's a love story.

Wtf is wrong with people?

velojym

Re: What's the fascination with Deliverance and other trash?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 06:09:53 pm »

For one thing, we don't all share the same tastes. If we did, I think life would get pretty durned dull.

Midnight Blue

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 06:19:02 pm »

I know that and agree, just don't get the fascination with that movie.

George Potter

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 07:10:44 pm »

I see no 'fascination'. The rape scene from Deliverance has entered the pop-culture lexicon and is therefore used as shorthand in conversation and jokes.

As a movie, Deliverance is excellent. It's well written, powerfully directed, and ably acted by the entire cast. Boorman and Dickey managed to make an even handed examination of violence and retribution that chooses no sides and takes no easy way out.

Yeah, tastes differ. You actually think Dark Angel is good, but call Pulp Fiction trash? LOL.  ^_^

Yeah. Differ big time.

Not a TMM member

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 07:13:25 pm »

:laugh:

« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 12:21:19 am by Not a TMM member »
Not sympathetic to the tinfoil hat crowd.

velojym

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 07:17:51 pm »

I kinda liked it, actually. I used to canoe with a bunch of college guys and gals in Alabama, and we were always joking about it.

George Potter

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 07:21:59 pm »

Pulp Fiction on the other hand was simply nothing it was made out to be. Tarantino is good for violence and gore and not much else. That dude is truly disturbed.

There is very little violence and gore in Pulp Fiction. Tarantino manages to make you think there is a lot more than there is by catching you when you least expect it, and giving you characters so well rounded that they feel realistic despite their archetypal weight. In contrast to the cardboard 'people' presented in a real gore fest like Hostel or Saw II, the gore seems to 'matter'.

Pulp Fiction is easily one of the best films of the 90's. As an examination of the 'honor among thieves' theme (best exmplified by Butch's grudging rescue of Marcellus Wallace), it really has no equal. In addition, it's a superb example of ensemble acting, blisteringly funny, boasted genuinely surprising plot twists, and features reams of endlessly quotable dialouge.

Midnight Blue

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 07:27:49 pm »

I'm not into gore or little rape scenes and shit so I guess my husband and I are the only people on the planet who thought Pulp Fiction sucked. Different tastes as has been said.

Seems like horror movies are taking over now, used to be just a Halloween time thing, now they are year round.

Guess I just prefer comedy, action flicks, or even war movies.

Not a TMM member

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 07:30:07 pm »

« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 12:17:24 am by Not a TMM member »

Midnight Blue

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 07:31:09 pm »

I see no 'fascination'. The rape scene from Deliverance has entered the pop-culture lexicon and is therefore used as shorthand in conversation and jokes.

As a movie, Deliverance is excellent. It's well written, powerfully directed, and ably acted by the entire cast. Boorman and Dickey managed to make an even handed examination of violence and retribution that chooses no sides and takes no easy way out.

Yeah, tastes differ. You actually think Dark Angel is good, but call Pulp Fiction trash? LOL.  ^_^

Yeah. Differ big time.

Dark Angel was good until they screwed with the formula and didn't continue with the original premise that was layed out in the pilot. The second season really blew and strayed too far from the first season. They didn't get cancelled cuz of the time slot, they got cancelled by screwing with the formula and pissing the viewers off.

Fox has a knack for getting rid of good shows too soon too. They replaced DA with Firefly which was an excellent show and then cancelled it the first season.

slidemansailor

• A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 08:42:58 pm »

Deliverance introduced Dueling Banjos (using a guitar and banjo) to me and many others. It was worth it for that reason alone.  That particular scene is the only one that stuck with me.  The rest was "B" movie material... not that I'm above B movies and not that I didn't enjoy the movie. I just don't put it on my "see again" list... but seeing once is probably a good idea so you know what everybody is referring to.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

motherbatherick

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 11:53:47 am »

Tarantino is good for violence and gore and not much else. 
Oh I dunno, I always thought he had a chin made just for holding my ballbag.
(He's got a real purty mouf.  There, I threw in a Deliverance reference.  Happy?)

motherbatherick

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 12:00:13 pm »

Pulp Fiction just got hyped too much for my taste and I was left kind of let down....it just rubbed me the wrong way. I expected the same from Kill Bill I & II and in fact just watched it on IFC the first time this last week and was pleasantly surprised....but then again how can you go wrong with Carradine in your movie....being he is a Ninja and all.

I agree George, John Boorman is something else.
He is one of my favorite Directors. His Excalibur was the best rendition of Arthurian legend on screen for my money.
He damn sure knows his way around the whole concept of visualization.
The Emerald Forest and Zardoz are a couple of my favorite movies.
I place him right up with Kubrick(I know he was a prick) and De Laurentiis.

But what do I know....
I like David Cronenberg too
The Excaliber version where everyone has hyper-shiny armor like the Cylons?
BTW, the Lorne Greene version of Galactica is better than the new series. (and let the shitstorm begin in 3...2...1.)  :laugh:

Not a TMM member

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 12:13:53 pm »

« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 12:13:48 am by Not a TMM member »

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 01:26:14 am »

Dark Angel was good until they screwed with the formula and didn't continue with the original premise that was layed out in the pilot. The second season really blew and strayed too far from the first season. They didn't get cancelled cuz of the time slot, they got cancelled by screwing with the formula and pissing the viewers off.

The formula was changed because Fox wouldn't take the 2nd season if they stuck with the same thing.  If you'll remember, the first season was very anti-authoritarian and the bad guys were very human.  In the 2nd season, the anti-authoritarianism was toned way down (still there, but harder to see) and the bad guys were played off as inhuman monsters, even though they were straight up humans with no real genetic mods. 

Fox has a knack for getting rid of good shows too soon too. They replaced DA with Firefly which was an excellent show and then cancelled it the first season.

Yep.  Fox sucks.  That's all there is to it.
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up