The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the fascination with Deliverance and other trash?  (Read 10606 times)

Paraibo

Re: What's the fascination with Deliverance and other trash?
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 06:21:33 am »

FOX SUCKS.

Anybody that cancels Firefly sucks big green donkey dicks with warts with hairs coming out of them.

There.

Mr. Dare

• Administrator
  • My Strawman will beat hell out of yours any day!
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 09:02:46 am »

Didn't they drop Stargate SG1 after a few seasons?  And then the Sci Fi Channel got 8 more seasons out of it! Great ones at that. Yeah, Fox is a waste of good airwaves.
"He's no fun, he fell right over!"
"I've got Deku Nuts coming outta my ass and I still can't kill this bastard!!!" (my sweet wife...)
"The road to Hell is paved with happy plans..."
"I do not avoid Twinkies, Duck, but I do deny them my essence." Joel

velojym

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 05:53:45 pm »

FOX SUCKS.

Anybody that cancels Firefly sucks big green donkey dicks with warts with hairs coming out of them.

There.

I'm sure there are a few big green donkeys that would be offended by this...

Paraibo

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 03:48:18 pm »

*Token politically correct post*

I apologize to any big green donkeys who were offended while Fox was sucking.   ^_^ :laugh:

Not a TMM member

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 04:12:19 pm »

:laugh:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 12:08:16 am by Not a TMM member »
Not sympathetic to the tinfoil hat crowd.

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 04:58:23 pm »

Didn't they drop Stargate SG1 after a few seasons?  And then the Sci Fi Channel got 8 more seasons out of it! Great ones at that. Yeah, Fox is a waste of good airwaves.

To the best of my knowledge, Stargate SG1 was never on Fox.  As far as I know, it was originally a Sci-Fi show that was syndicated.  It aired locally on UPN (prior to their merge with the WB) and still airs (a season behind) on the local station that replaced UPN.
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

George Potter

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007, 05:46:35 pm »

Stargate was originally produced by and aired on Showtime. They did the first five seasons.

Mr. Dare

• Administrator
  • My Strawman will beat hell out of yours any day!
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2007, 07:37:38 pm »

Well, just shows what I know... Dare2 the resident SG1 expert confirms, I am wrong. But then I went from 1998 to 2005 with no tv reception whatsoever. I never can get the entertainment "piece of pie" in trivial pursuit either.
"He's no fun, he fell right over!"
"I've got Deku Nuts coming outta my ass and I still can't kill this bastard!!!" (my sweet wife...)
"The road to Hell is paved with happy plans..."
"I do not avoid Twinkies, Duck, but I do deny them my essence." Joel

Jac

• CPC? I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you...
    • http://www.russmo.com
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2007, 08:05:45 pm »

FOX SUCKS.

There.

....and you are their keeper, or what?
Are you asking if he's their pimp? Freak...
I have never regretted that I chose to "take the red pill." But there are days, just rarely, when the truth is so ugly, so brutal, so unmerciful, so relentless, that even if I wouldn't rip the truth from the wall socket and hurl it out the window to crash on the sidewalk below, I wouldn't mind if it featured a snooze button so we could savor just a few more moments in slumbered pretension and warm, fuzzy lies pulled snugly up over our heads.
--PSM

Midnight Blue

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2007, 09:12:33 pm »

The formula was changed because Fox wouldn't take the 2nd season if they stuck with the same thing.  If you'll remember, the first season was very anti-authoritarian and the bad guys were very human.  In the 2nd season, the anti-authoritarianism was toned way down (still there, but harder to see) and the bad guys were played off as inhuman monsters, even though they were straight up humans with no real genetic mods. 

I didn't know that's why they changed it, but that makes sense, they were very anti-gov't the first season. I was actually surprised a show like that was allowed on the air, still am. Maybe they should've said fk you to fox and maybe WB or UPN at the time might have picked the show up. They also changed the premise of how and why they were created going from secret gov't experiment to breeding cults, etc.

Not a TMM member

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2007, 09:18:25 pm »

:laugh:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 12:05:07 am by Not a TMM member »
Not sympathetic to the tinfoil hat crowd.

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2007, 05:47:24 pm »

I see no 'fascination'. The rape scene from Deliverance has entered the pop-culture lexicon and is therefore used as shorthand in conversation and jokes.

As a movie, Deliverance is excellent. It's well written, powerfully directed, and ably acted by the entire cast. Boorman and Dickey managed to make an even handed examination of violence and retribution that chooses no sides and takes no easy way out.

Midnight, I agree with George. I see no fascination. I do see a lot of people considering Deliverance a modern classic film. And from what I remember (not having seen it since it was in theaters), I'd agree with that -- and with Gloryroad's precis of the movie's virtues.

I'm guessing when you say "trash" you're referring to the famous "squeal like a pig" rape scene. I know that "trash" is in the eye of the beholder, but in context, I recall that scene as an integral part of the movie's exploration of both physical and psychological horror.

People tend not to mention the movie's other most-famous scene: "Dueling banjos" -- which is the scene that most stands out in my memory and establishes that what lies ahead is going to be beautiful, bizarre, and creepy all at once.

Dismissing a movie you haven't seen as "trash" at first makes me bristle. But I know I've done the same thing -- refusing to see a film because of some actor or some premise I didn't like. Making judgements about it based on what I've heard. And sometimes discovering later that I was right.

OTOH, several times I've seen movies I might have dismissed as trashy or just plain uninteresting and absolutely loved them. Drugstore Cowboy comes to mind. Go see a film focused on drug addicts who rob drug stores? Eew, yuch. But it's a damn good film that I've watched three times. It happens.

Now I'm off to see if Netflix has Deliverance. Time to watch it again and see if it's held up after all these years.

Claire
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

velojym

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2007, 05:51:22 pm »

Heck, they may have it viewable online before long, if not already.
I found Freedom to Fascism available that way.

If I refused to watch a movie based on a name or involved actor, I might have missed Shooter (though I did like the book better),
and might have skipped Firefly/Serenity due to an actor I'd thought was a Baldwin Brother.

I'm quite glad I went ahead and watched 'em anyway.

Don't forget... V for Vengeance features a nasty little statist troll... but it was a great movie anyway.

George Potter

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2007, 06:02:54 pm »

OTOH, several times I've seen movies I might have dismissed as trashy or just plain uninteresting and absolutely loved them. Drugstore Cowboy comes to mind. Go see a film focused on drug addicts who rob drug stores? Eew, yuch. But it's a damn good film that I've watched three times. It happens.

Thanks for bringing this up, Claire -- as I've been meaning to mention my belief that Drugstore Cowboy was a thematic and technical influence on Firefly. Both films concern an outside the law, jury rigged 'family' relentlessly wandering a world that has no use for them. The Drug War functions in DC just as the Unification War in Firefly: an outside catastrophe that serves to sever the main characters ties to society-at-large. In both cases, the resorting to crime is not excused, it is merely examined matter of factly.

On a technical level, Rober Yeoman's brilliant use of hand-held cameras and -- especially -- contrasting soft and hard focus lighting to underscore moods and mindset must have influenced David Boyd's similar technique in Firefly.

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2007, 03:30:07 pm »

On a technical level, Rober Yeoman's brilliant use of hand-held cameras and -- especially -- contrasting soft and hard focus lighting to underscore moods and mindset must have influenced David Boyd's similar technique in Firefly.

Now that you mention the similarities, Gloryroad, I can see them. But the two works are so different, I'd never otherwise have made the connection.

And  :laugh: I also see I'm going to have to take a far-distant second to you in film snobbery.

BTW, Midnight ... I watched Deliverance over the weekend. To my surprise it's held up very well and is almost as powerful as when it first hit theaters. Beautifully made film made despite incredibly tough shooting, long odds, and no insurance. (The four stars, director, cameramen, and a few techs spent days at a time alone on the river, far from any help. And the stars did all, or nearly all, of their own very perilous action scenes; no insurance company would touch that job!)

Only thing trashy about it was that the DVD Netflix sent was .... ARRRRRGH!!!! pan and scan. I almost didn't watch it. That's a terrible thing to do to any film, but especially one as panoramic as this one.
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up