The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the fascination with Deliverance and other trash?  (Read 10620 times)

George Potter

Re: What's the fascination with Deliverance and other trash?
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2007, 10:58:38 pm »

Only thing trashy about it was that the DVD Netflix sent was .... ARRRRRGH!!!! pan and scan. I almost didn't watch it. That's a terrible thing to do to any film, but especially one as panoramic as this one.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

To do that to Vilmos Zsigmond's gorgeous cinematography is more than a shame...it's damn near vandalism.

Unlike a lot of movies that simply use a widescreen aspect ratio for eye candy, Deliverance uses it as a thematic device: the huge landscapes dwarfing the besieged characters visually express the enormity and serene disregard of nature to the violence of man.

syzygy

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2007, 07:14:35 am »

Only thing trashy about it was that the DVD Netflix sent was .... ARRRRRGH!!!! pan and scan. I almost didn't watch it. That's a terrible thing to do to any film, but especially one as panoramic as this one.

It's coming out in a widescreen version in September.  Since I've never seen this movie, it looks like I should wait for that version.

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2007, 02:49:20 pm »

It's coming out in a widescreen version in September.  Since I've never seen this movie, it looks like I should wait for that version.

Yay! And yes, do wait. Widescreen is the only way to go with this film. And thanks for the word, Loki.

Claire
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

FreedomMonkey

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2007, 06:34:43 pm »

<snip>
OTOH, several times I've seen movies I might have dismissed as trashy or just plain uninteresting and absolutely loved them. Drugstore Cowboy comes to mind. Go see a film focused on drug addicts who rob drug stores? Eew, yuch. But it's a damn good film that I've watched three times. It happens. <snip>

I loved Drugstore Cowboy and seeing William S. Burroughs in it was a plus.  If you haven't read it, I highly recommend Junky, excellant literary 'trash' by Mr. Burroughs. 

-FM

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."-George Orwell

Jebur27

• Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2008, 06:26:01 am »

The scene in "Deliverance" that I remember best is not dueling banjos or squeal like a pig, but right at the end:

A view of the lake, the camera skimming the surface of the water...

There is only one thing that remains to us, that cannot be taken away: To act with courage and dignity and to stick to the ideals that have given meaning to life.
-Jawaharlal Nehru

There's no joke we can tell about the fedgov that they can't turn into an even more absurd truth about themselves.
-Claire Wolfe

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". -- Denis Diderot
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up