The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cool find....  (Read 6359 times)

George Potter

Cool find....
« on: June 18, 2007, 11:30:15 pm »

Today at a library sale, I bought a 1958 first edition hardcover Have Spacesuit -- Will Travel in fine condition for 50 cents. :D

Midnight Blue

Re: Cool find....
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 12:05:22 am »

Cool! Also try ebay for rare books, I've gotten some great deals off of there.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 07:14:01 am »

Today at a library sale, I bought a 1958 first edition hardcover Have Spacesuit -- Will Travel in fine condition for 50 cents. :D

whimper, can I just smell it?????
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

Junker

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 01:22:34 am »

Nice.

From elsewhere here:
I started reading R.A.H at 14yo some 40 years ago and just reread his Have Spacesuit-- Will Travel last week. I still like the stories. On this reading, besides enjoying the read again, I now pinged on:

"... Joe Valiant the all-American boy always shows up on the campus with
fifty cents and a heart of gold, then in the last chapter is tapped for
Skull-and-Bones and has money in the bank...."

And I have to wonder again about Heinlein...how is it that he is mentioning "Skull-and-Bones" back in 1948?

George Potter

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 06:21:08 pm »

If you promise to share it with impressionable youths, you can have it. :) Serious. I'm getting ready to nomad out -- I travel light. I just couldn't resist it when I saw it.

Jac

• CPC? I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you...
    • http://www.russmo.com
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 06:25:54 pm »

If you promise to share it with impressionable youths, you can have it. :) Serious. I'm getting ready to nomad out -- I travel light. I just couldn't resist it when I saw it.
You're joking, right?!?
I have never regretted that I chose to "take the red pill." But there are days, just rarely, when the truth is so ugly, so brutal, so unmerciful, so relentless, that even if I wouldn't rip the truth from the wall socket and hurl it out the window to crash on the sidewalk below, I wouldn't mind if it featured a snooze button so we could savor just a few more moments in slumbered pretension and warm, fuzzy lies pulled snugly up over our heads.
--PSM

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 01:19:50 pm »

Uh. Are you serious? I mean - wow.

Could I trade you something for it? Honey? Dandelion Wine? Parmesean?

Let me know by PM and we can work something out.

I am now officially speechless - ask ND that never happens.

Mutti
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

RVM45

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 09:29:56 am »

.....I remember reading that book back in grade school. Its a good one- classic Science Fiction. I have a few old and valuable books. They're nice; but I'm really not the proper type of person to be made the curator of many such fragile treasures. My stuff tends to get lost; damaged; or dry rotten.

.....I'm content to leave the acquisition of such things to others.

.....I mentioned to a friend that I'd come by a first printing of "A Princess of Mars". He abruptly asked if he could have it. I gave him an equally abrupt "No". I started to add that given my reluctance to be responsible for treasures; and given our long friendship; I would have considered making him a gift of it- EXCEPT that he had a bad habit of selling stuff off; when he either was in dire need; or when he saw a chance to make a fairly large profit. Before I was one word into my explanation; he said "You know what I would do if you gave it to me? I'd sell it on ebay..."

.....I think in retrospect; that at that moment I decided our friendship had ran its course.

.....Show me a man with rotten teeth (for some reason; most of the pontificators of annoying Bullspit; have rotten teeth.) Who says,

....."Everything I have is for sale; if the price is right"

.....And I'll show you a man who truly will sell anything for the right price: His good name; his wife's chastity; his children; his Honour- even his testicles, if the price is high enough. He probably doesn't mean to be that cynical; and he'd say that I was taking it too far- and he might believe that; but his words betray his lack of any sense of values.

.....Few things are quite as annoying, as showing a recent acquisition to someone; and to be asked, "Do you want to sell it?'

.....My invariable response, once I stop rolling my eyes; and gritting my teeth; is to snap,

....."If I'd  wanted to sell it; I wouldn't have bought it.

.....RVM45    :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 09:32:51 am by RVM45 »
There are only Two Types of People in the World:

A.} Folks who are after my Guns;

And;

B.} Folks who Are Not after my Guns.

Nothing Else Matters.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 01:34:28 pm »

RVM45 -

Some people are like that.

To me the "stewardship" of a book is like

encouraging a seed to mature into a fine specimen of a plant
catching a cool breeze in the middle of an unbearably hot day
brushing the last tear from the cheek of an injured human

Those inescapable moments pass through my life and touch my soul in a way that can never be described. Some books make it possible, for just a moment, to remember what humanity truly could be. (If we ever pull our heads out of our a#@s).

Mutti

RVM45

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 06:29:39 am »

.....Yes, I love books. I'm rather desperately short of bookshelf- or any other kind of space right now. I have a closet literally stacked from floor to ceiling with books- you have to pack them in really tight; if you don't want the paperback all pushed askew...

.....Got them stacked up one wall. Got them stacked under my bed...

.....Thing is, I've pursued several rather arcane fields of endeavor over the years. Each subset would be a find for anyone into that particular field; but it would be highly unlikely to meet someone who shared all my interest; to exhaustively catalog them would require more energy than I have; and broken up into single volumes; much of the value would be lost.

.....And I will buy an occasional rare; valuable book; but I'm more into the contents rather than the vehicle.

.....My house was flooded awhile back. Had to take everything out while the damage was repaired. I had stuck two or three dozen books on higher mathematics in a small orange colored cooler. I can't handle any math higher than some very rickety basic Calculus; but I've always wanted to study it someday. Picked up a lot of very advanced math books at the used bookstores over he years. There was just something about staring at pages of inscrutable symbols, with almost nary an intelligible word; that fascinated me.

.....It ended up being stolen! If someone wanted the cooler; why carry an extra 60 pounds of Math books? And how many two-bit burglars have any use for higher math? Its a cause of considerable puzzlement to me...

....RVM45    :thumbsup:

There are only Two Types of People in the World:

A.} Folks who are after my Guns;

And;

B.} Folks who Are Not after my Guns.

Nothing Else Matters.

George Potter

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 03:39:41 pm »

Mutti --

The book was sent. You should receive it in a few days. Hope you and the kidlets enjoy! :)

-G.

Junker

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 06:57:57 pm »

Good passalong, Glory. I should buy cheepies and plant 'em around the hood. Might sweeten my karma account.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 09:06:31 pm »

Thanks - ND will get the wine off tomorrow, so it won't miss the great GR migration......

Mutti

OneToRemember

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 04:54:30 pm »

Hi we ahve some rare books on our site that you might be interetsed in although we are based in the Uk.

www.onetoremember.co.uk

we are foocussed on sustainable living and renewable energy, etc.

we would welcome feedback
Pages: [1]   Go Up