The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Best Of Joel Simon  (Read 48585 times)

George Potter

Re: The Best Of Joel Simon
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2007, 10:20:46 pm »

Plinker -- thanks for the links.

Joel -- I was mainly going to include the first draft WG stuff as a sort of technical exercise. To let people see how material changes between drafts, the false starts, mind-changing, tangents, etc. involved in the writing process. IMO, that makes them particularly suited to The Writer's Block and it's purpose. If you have any particular chapters you want left off, let me know.

Joel

• Just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
Yet another Freedomista blog: The Ultimate Answer to Kings is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.

debeez

• The Deadly Nightshade
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2007, 02:38:09 pm »

Just landed back at the site after a millennia it seems of being away.

Bought "Walt's Gulch" and the sequel and they came in the mail yesterday.

I told myself I wouldn't read them until my 'assigned' reading was done. I'm busy studying to be a life coach (as if two businesses weren't damn well enough for me) and I have eight books I have decided will get me where I need to go on the subject. "Just a couple of pages" I reasoned yesterday as I picked up the book. It was calling to me, swear to God!. And they seemed nearly exactly what I remembered from the draft he had sent two years ago. So far, most of it has very little changes, now that those 'couple of' pages have turned into 108.

I love it, can't wait to get to the chapters I didn't ever get to reading, far later after dismembered field agents are disposed of. And of course there is the sequel.

In addition, although think I may have read it before, "I Don't Want To Die Alone" is damned good Joel, I loved reading it all over again as I found this folder. And now, I must return to my assigned reading, but I'm making a list of your suggested readings to reward myself with in small increments!

Darling, you rock!

Christine
Auto-Didact, Writer, and General Malcontent
http://thedeadlynightshade.com/
http://homeschooladvocate.org

Ire

• Anarchist
    • Mosslight
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2007, 08:18:41 pm »

Oh HELL yes, I didn't know these were all available for pay-to-download!

Gonna be up all night reading now, damn you!

Wish I had seen this earlier...
There are no heroes, and wishes only come true in fairy tales.

www.mosslight.blogspot.com

Lazarus Long

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 10:30:50 pm »

I couldn't find a direct link to Joel's novel Walt's Gulch in this thread.

The TMM thread announcing its availability is here.

Buy the book here.
"Whatever is funny is subversive, every joke is ultimately a custard pie... a dirty joke is... a sort of mental revolution." - Orwell

socalserf

• Blue collar knucklehead
  • Riflemen are made not born.
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 07:35:23 am »

Thanks for all the Joel Simon links.
But, I couldn't find this;

'Phil Presley Doesn't Live Here Any More'

Anyone with a link?
"Freedom's the answer. What's the question?"
~Author unknown to me

Joel

• Just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 10:56:16 am »

Thanks for all the Joel Simon links.
But, I couldn't find this;

'Phil Presley Doesn't Live Here Any More'

Anyone with a link?

There's a link to it in the very first entry of this thread.   :thumbsup:
Yet another Freedomista blog: The Ultimate Answer to Kings is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2009, 09:03:15 am »

Just gave the "Best of George Potter" thread a bump and thought I'd do the same for Joel Simon. To call Joel the second-best fiction writer at TMM is no insult -- because his competition is George, who could (if he chose) be published alongside the greatest writers in the world. So to be second-best in this case is a marvelous thing.

To anybody looking for some fantastic freedomista novels, I recommend Joel's books Walt's Gulch and (even better) its sequel Songs of Bad Men and Good. Both can be purchased via Joel's blog, The Ultimate Answer to Kings.
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Undefined

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2009, 01:08:00 pm »

To be perfectly honest, Joel kicks my ass in narrative cohesion and structure over length. He can write novels.

I guess, in a sense, we ramble through different fields. I'm primarily a short fiction writer and he seems most comfortable with novel length fiction. I think we're both fairly unique in 'libertarian fiction' (or, as Joel calls it, 'freedomista fic') in that we are both ferociously devoted to the idea that story and prose come before message.

If anyone is wondering, Bad Patterns is still on its way. I've gained a real lesson and appreciation for what Pagan and Dare2 did with symbols flow. This typesetting/formatting stuff is hard. LOL
I'm hoping to be finished before Xmas. Astoria is once again going to supply cover art and it will contain interior illustrations. (Another thing delaying me.) This will be all short fiction, and less overtly political. This will allow me to send a copy to gentleman and scholar (and brilliant fantasist) Charles De Lint at The Magazine Of Science Fiction & Fantasy, the only major reviewer who will accept self-published/ultra-small press material. His criteria to review is if it keeps him reading, nothing else.

I'll keep you all posted. :)

-G.

Undefined

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2009, 01:51:44 pm »

Oh, and when it comes to explaining complex political concepts, history and trends in a down to earth and entertaining way, I think Joel & I both take a back seat to you, Claire. :)

gaurdduck

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2009, 02:24:45 pm »

A character flaw.   {-blush-}   I own more books than most libraries.

My Granma owns more.

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2009, 03:26:29 pm »

A character flaw.   {-blush-}   I own more books than most libraries.

My Granma owns more.

{Stunned silence ....}

Uhm .... ahem .... Good  for  her.     I guess ....

Has this thread fallen into "the third grade" dimension warp ?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 03:28:16 pm by gooch »
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III

gaurdduck

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2009, 03:36:21 pm »

Not really.
We* have to haul them every time she moves.

*The Family and I.

MsSage

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2009, 04:29:59 pm »

gooch are you a bibliophile??????? ( had to bring this out of 3rd grade )
Is it the smell of the new book or the feel of the pages or the feel after you have read it?

Hey I admit I LOVE the smell and feel of a new book nothing better.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”
Thomas Jefferson

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2009, 05:44:50 pm »

{he shuffles to the front of the room, takes a deep breath, stands up straight and says ....}

Hi.   I'm gooch and I'm ... a bibliophile.

:rolleyes:

Yes Ma'am I can't really pin it down ... it has to do with the heft and feel of the book, it also has to do with the [purely subjective] mental image of the inherent longevity of the "printed word", it has to do with becoming absorbed into a world of imagination created by a skilled writer.

And while we are on the subject of skilled writer's .... I Highly recommend Joel's books.  Here  scroll down about 1/3rd of the way and on the left you will see "Shameless Plug Time" and below it links to his books.

And then there is the author of this particular thread [GP, DIS, and various other incarnations] who is yet another very very skilled author/word crafter.

This forum seems to be Blessed with an abundance of excellent writers. [and Yes I have a favorite ... two in fact.]

I enjoy finding a "priceless treasure" on the shelves of the local Goodwill or second hand shop.

It is hard for me to express but yep ... busted ... a bibliophile.

edit =  I almost forgot my smilie .... *gasp*
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 05:47:50 pm by gooch »
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up