The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2007 Hugo Best Short Story Nominees  (Read 3285 times)

George Potter

2007 Hugo Best Short Story Nominees
« on: August 02, 2007, 11:49:49 pm »

Rereading the Gaiman story, I found that all of the nominees for this years award are online by decree of their authors in order to boost visibility.

Nominees (scroll down)

Damn tough competition this year! Not a single nominee I'd rate less than 'Excellent!'

Robert Reed's 'Eight Episodes' proves once again that he is a serious contender for H. Ellison and R.A. Lafferty's title of 'Best Prolific Short Story Master' of SF and Fantasy. A mindbending  near-term piece that (I think) has a winking little tribute to the improbable success of Firefly -- told with his usual brilliant clarity and skill for truly far-out central ideas.

Gaiman's piece is probably the most beautifully written, and the funniest.

Benjamin Rosenbaum's 'The House Beyond Your Sky' is lovely and moving. The ending packs quite a punch.

Bruce McCallister's 'Kin' is powerful and emotionally effective. I found it delightfully suspensful and possessed of a neat, unforseen-but-Of-Course! style ending.

But Tim Pratt's 'Impossible Dreams' gets my vote for the best piece. An alternate world story that will appeal to any movie buff at a basic and wonderful level. It's been a long time since I idly speculated on 'better' alternate universes to live in -- but a world where The Magnificent Ambersons wasn't butchered by the studio?  :mellow:

Enjoy!

Junker

Re: 2007 Hugo Best Short Story Nominees
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 01:42:02 am »

Zow! What fun. All good. Tops for me are 'Kin' and 'House Beyond Your Sky' (Zelasny like, no?). The way you and she go at movies...I see 'Imp Dreams', but for me it just another little love song, sung (well) in three-part harmony.

Like RAH's & your Roberta, the stories may as well be the currency of all. Relaxing thought that.

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 01:16:10 am »

Zow! What fun. All good. Tops for me are 'Kin' and 'House Beyond Your Sky' (Zelasny like, no?). The way you and she go at movies...I see 'Imp Dreams', but for me it just another little love song, sung (well) in three-part harmony.

Like RAH's & your Roberta, the stories may as well be the currency of all. Relaxing thought that.

Zelazny?  Hm.  Time for some re-reading.  And I have a pile of unread stuff to get through here!  I did read and enjoy those muchly,  for sure...
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

Junker

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 03:27:01 am »

Oh yeah, Roger's the man. Lord of Light, Creatures of Light and Darkness, Doorways in the Sand, ....

I met him at a Borland expo in Mtry, CA...uhh...~1989, but I read for the fun, not the message/history/social theory, so I couldn't respond to his concerns...oh well.

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 11:59:39 pm »

Oh yeah, Roger's the man. Lord of Light, Creatures of Light and Darkness, Doorways in the Sand, ....

I met him at a Borland expo in Mtry, CA...uhh...~1989, but I read for the fun, not the message/history/social theory, so I couldn't respond to his concerns...oh well.

That last title sounds real familiar though I can't place it.  The first one is in a pile of books here.  The Amber stories also spring to mind,  though I haven't got them all,  only some of them,  some in magazines serialized (and I don't remember which mags) and some books.  I saw a set in a store a while back,  am gonna have to look for that one...
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin
Pages: [1]   Go Up