The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Walmart, Neil Young and Aging  (Read 3920 times)

Wonk

Walmart, Neil Young and Aging
« on: October 15, 2007, 08:53:04 pm »

Little things I notice now and then.

Today I'm in Walmart, picking up a few odds and ends for a hunting trip I'm leaving for on Wednesday; and Neil Young is playing over the sound system.  Now, I'm 50 years of age...and this woman strolls by pushing a cart and singing along with Neil.  I'd swear she is 15 years older than I.   

I stared and smiled....and hummed along myself.

You are...like a hurricane,

There's calm...in your eyes.

:mellow:

I had to tell someone this.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 09:32:38 pm by Wonk »

Dare2BFree

Re: Walmart, Neil Young and Aging
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 05:52:12 am »

That's a good song  :)  It's one of the ones we do with the band and everyone always loves it.
If I had known that these days would have changed my life - I would have dressed better.   ~ me

No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.  ~ Judge Gideon J. Tucker

Pagan

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 09:06:53 am »

On aging and music: If she’s 15 years older than you, Wonk, that means she's had 15 yrs. more of living in this world, and has heard and might have appreciated ALL the singers/songs you know, including 15 yrs. more of them. And had 15 more years to appreciate them as a meaning in her life.

Drawing from seven decades of life, I'm so amazed when people think that I shouldn't know or appreciate some of the “younger” generations of songs/literature/comedy, etc. That’s means they’ve placed me in a time-warp and unable to get out.

It’s true I can't take hard rock, not because of the words, but because I prefer to listen to a melody rather than chords and loud notes that over-ride the words  (though I did like a few songs from 90’s rock) – but there were a hell of a lot of pap music in the 40’s and 50’s as well, stuff I can’t tolerate.

In looking over my music, I have CD’s of everything from 18th Century Classical to 21st Century Country – by way of 40’s Big Band, Jazz, Gospel and Bluegrass, Folk (classic and new), Rock (classic and soft) and Easy Listenin’. I do not have Hip Hop, but there are still some new songs that touch my antenna – either the words, the melody or the voice turns me on, and I buy them.

What I find interesting – and here, I’m time-warping now – are the number of 60’s and 70’s singers who are turning out old standards from 50/60 years ago. Apparently they’ve changed too, appreciating old words and music as they’ve mellowed – or simply having nowhere else to go with Rock.
Even more surprising to me: I’m finding they have better voices than I knew – either the voice has improved with age, or I couldn’t hear the quality in their voice when they were pounding out rock songs.

Anyway – just wanted you to know there are some of us who can appreciate Neil Young. :-)

Edited to add: When music is good, it transcends age; and there's no telling who will respond to what.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 09:10:49 am by Pagan »

Wonk

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 08:52:18 am »

Well said Pagan......and it was a pleasant scene to see play out before me.  Its one those things that make you smile, and be thankfull to be alive and human in this world.

Midnight Blue

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 06:06:31 pm »

While the bulk of the music I like happens to come from my time (the 80's) I also enjoy music from before and since my time. The 90's was a dead time for music where I am concerned but there's some good stuff out there these days. I do like alot of hard rock, some metal, alot of pop, my tastes are all over the place. It's like Pagan said, it can be a good beat, good bass line, guitar riff, melody, or vocals.

kirgi07

• Acting as a Curmudgeon unless otherwise specified.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 03:07:04 am »

Is anyone gonna get that new Eagles release that's hitting Wally World before anywhere else. Ought 7.
If you look like food you will be EATEN.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Midnight Blue

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 02:22:12 pm »

I'm not a fan of the Eagles, so no.

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 04:46:36 pm »

Ehh, I've seen 60+ yr olds listening to rap/urban music.

The 90's were an awesome decade for Rock n Roll... Midnight, my goodness after the 80's and hair bands, good solid unflashy (Neil Young type of) music was a refreshing change.

Then the Rap scene took hold, and like the pre vomitous heaves, it still hasn't went away but it will soon enough....
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

http://tthelastcause.blogspot.com/

Midnight Blue

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 05:56:01 pm »

Ehh, I've seen 60+ yr olds listening to rap/urban music.

The 90's were an awesome decade for Rock n Roll... Midnight, my goodness after the 80's and hair bands, good solid unflashy (Neil Young type of) music was a refreshing change.

Then the Rap scene took hold, and like the pre vomitous heaves, it still hasn't went away but it will soon enough....

Not in my view, no way! There were some good points in music but overall it blew huge chunks in my opinion. I'm not too into screaming/growling or hippy style college band stuff and that's what most of what qualified as rock during that decade was in my view. sure the dudes in hairbands looked like chicks and I still laugh at that part, but the music was good, fun, and escape fromworld problems, not a look for the hidden massage reminder.

I love Nirvana and Alice In Chains I must say.
Pages: [1]   Go Up