The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Meantime, I'll be reading up on how to...  (Read 5352 times)

Augustwest

Meantime, I'll be reading up on how to...
« on: October 01, 2003, 11:53:59 am »

...tap maple trees.

Lotsa work, but very rewarding, that making your own syrup. Been a while since I've done it, but I recall that the ratio of sap collected to syrup made is about 30:1.

Yum.  :)

Pancakes for dinner tonight, I think.

Oh, and I've been able to grow some pretty zippy chiles here in CT. NH might work too.

How 'bout "Back Off M---------er!" brand hot sauce as a side business there Ms. Wolfe?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2003, 11:57:47 am by Augustwest »
\"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.\"  - Capt. Reynolds

Ian

• aka Elf-Boy
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 01:10:36 pm »

Hmm. I've made syrup from prickly pear cactus fruit, but it looks like I'll need a new skillset as well.

How 'bout "Back Off M---------er!" brand hot sauce as a side business there Ms. Wolfe?
Lol! I'd buy a bottle of that.  :lol:  
And Tomlinson took up the tale and spoke of his good in life.
"O this I have read in a book," he said, "and that was told to me,
"And this I have thought that another man thought of a Prince in Muscovy."
The good souls flocked like homing doves and bade him clear the path,
And Peter twirled the jangling Keys in weariness and wrath.
"Ye have read, ye have heard, ye have thought," he said, "and the tale is yet to run:
"By the worth of the body that once ye had, give answer—what ha' ye done?"

debra

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 01:23:54 pm »

Hmm. I've made syrup from prickly pear cactus fruit, but it looks like I'll need a new skillset as well.
How funny - I just finished up making cactus pear jellies and syrups last weekend. I tried a new recipe on one jelly and ... well, let's just pretend it was supposed to be a syrup.  :rolleyes:  

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2003, 01:56:29 pm »

...tap maple trees.

Oh, and I've been able to grow some pretty zippy chiles here in CT. NH might work too.

Somehow my first impression was that you meant to make maple syrup with chiles for your pancakes. Urg.

But the Back Off M----! brand of hot sauce has definite possibilities.
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Augustwest

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2003, 02:06:00 pm »

Somehow my first impression was that you meant to make maple syrup with chiles for your pancakes. Urg.

Dern right, urg. Two of my favorite flavors, maple and chiles. But never the twain shall meet. Not now, not ever. Never.

So Claire, do your last two posts qualify as a double-tap? ::chortle::

\"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.\"  - Capt. Reynolds

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2003, 02:40:33 pm »

<snort!> I think the second one qualifies as an accidental discharge.
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

Augustwest

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2003, 03:02:07 pm »

Bless ya' for having good muzzle control then.

Woulda been a shame if someone had gotten hurt.

Oh, and btw, it may sound like a good, efficient idea, but I've found a good old fashioned drill to be a better tree tapping tool than my Rugers are.

We'll put that bit of advice in the public domain. Call it my gift to the Westerners who'll be headed this way.

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2003, 03:08:23 pm »

Oh, and btw, it may sound like a good, efficient idea, but I've found a good old fashioned drill to be a better tree tapping tool than my Rugers are.

Well, I'm sure us western cactus-kickers badly need the tree-tapping lessons, so I thank you for this one. But the .357 magnum still sounds like a lot more fun than a Black & Decker.

Augustwest

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2003, 03:16:22 pm »

And the .41 funner still. But wadcutters give the syrup a funny tang.

Some of you may hafta learn for yourselves. Long as the lead doesn't come near me, I'm cool with that.  :)

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2003, 10:41:07 pm »

Somewhere or other I've got a book on home sugaring. I found it to be enough work that I'd rather just go buy it from old man Cloutier. <grin> If I can find the book, I'd be happy to loan it to any Porcupine moving into the area. Lots of nice houses for sale; there's one with a big barn across the road from me that just hung out a sign last week.  
from an undisclosed secure location far, far outside Ohio

Hunter's Seventieth Rule: The Internet needs a "three strikes and you're out" rule. Of the gene pool, I mean.

Ted Nielsen

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2003, 11:57:40 am »

« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 10:36:54 am by Ted Nielsen »

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2003, 02:35:13 pm »

Whatever. I'm in my mid 40s, and still weigh the same as I did in high school. Bring it on, baby.
from an undisclosed secure location far, far outside Ohio

Hunter's Seventieth Rule: The Internet needs a "three strikes and you're out" rule. Of the gene pool, I mean.

Jack Harrison

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2003, 07:40:07 am »

Dern right, urg. Two of my favorite flavors, maple and chiles. But never the twain shall meet. Not now, not ever. Never.

Not exactly a match, but if you've ever had candied jalepenos you might change your minds about chiles and maple syrup. I can see it! There's a place in the Galveston area, oh..shoot, whats the name..darn..anyway, they sell them by the jar and they're unbelievably tasty! My bride and I eat them by the jarfull in front of the TV. They're like UTZ potato chips, if you eat one, you're gonna eat them all.
Who will survive and what will be left of them?
Pages: [1]   Go Up