The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A quote from Blackstone  (Read 1993 times)

velojym

A quote from Blackstone
« on: October 13, 2007, 09:47:28 pm »

We're in the Revolutionary War period in history class... and I'm reading quite a bit outside our assigned material... and
found this Blackstone quote near the end of the Federalist Papers. I can see where some folks would have disliked Hamilton and his ideas... if he'd had his way, the country would have gone south much sooner, methinks.

Anyway, the quote seems pretty darned relevant today:
"To bereave a man of life, Usays he,e or by violence to confiscate his estate, without accusation or trial, would be so gross and notorious an act of despotism, as must at once convey the alarm of tyranny throughout the whole nation; but confinement of the person, by secretly hurrying him to jail, where his sufferings are unknown or forgotten, is a less public, a less striking, and therefore A MORE DANGEROUS ENGINE of arbitrary government."

freethinker

• Wild Woman
Re: A quote from Blackstone
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 01:28:01 am »

Yes, if one reads it through a few times slowly to figure out what exactly is being said.

if he'd had his way, the country would have gone south much sooner, methinks.

He he...  :laugh: yeah, along with the whole of North America, crashing into South America...

-  freethinker
People that spend all their time on facebook make me want to grab a nice big hard back and show their face what a real book looks like.
Pages: [1]   Go Up