The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cops: Camera was a "weapon"  (Read 2226 times)

NuclearDruid

Cops: Camera was a "weapon"
« on: October 16, 2007, 08:53:35 am »

Four sue police, alleging "dirty tactics"

Frank Waterhouse is suing for unlawful seizure with excessive force, alleging that police fired a Taser and bean bag rounds at him on May 27, 2006 because he was videotaping their search of a friend's property in the 5800 block of Northeast Portland Highway.

He says in the suit that police immediately came after him, and yelled at him "put it down." Officers moved towards him, and he said, "Don't come after me." Waterhouse said seconds later he was shot with a bean bag gun and a Taser and fell to the ground.

Officers wrote in their reports that Waterhouse ran off, they chased and then bean-bagged and Tasered him. One officer wrote, "He had refused to drop the camera which could be used as a weapon."

Waterhouse was arrested, accused of criminal trespass and disorderly conduct. A jury acquitted him of all charges.

ND
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

Jack21221

Re: Cops: Camera was a "weapon"
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 04:04:44 pm »

Also note that they were searching for a fleeing perp... so they smashed a car window to search for him. Aren't car windows generally transparent?

DPR 2006

• Evil MUST be stopped, no matter the cost
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 04:32:20 pm »

Not that I would ever advocate anything illegal, but there's going to come a time when cops are going to end up hurt, mangled, or even dead for shit like the above.  People may even go "cop-hunting", going out of their way to get the attention of cops, luring them into kill-zones, and then the cops are found later with holes in their heads.

Perhaps then, cops will get it in their heads that they, too, are mortal.  The smart ones will quit the force and move far away and take up honest work.  The stupid ones will stay on, possibly getting more armor, and escalating the violence until they, too, are executed by "people's juries".

Peace.
Tyrants and criminals prefer UNARMED victims - ME
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - HL Mencken

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 06:01:47 pm »

Not that I would ever advocate anything illegal, but there's going to come a time when cops are going to end up hurt, mangled, or even dead for shit like the above.  People may even go "cop-hunting", going out of their way to get the attention of cops, luring them into kill-zones, and then the cops are found later with holes in their heads.

This is already happening to some extent. There was a story in the paper yesterday
about a man who shot and killed 3 cops who came to his trailer because of a domestic
violence complaint. What has scared the police involved is the matter of fact way that
the shooter decided to kill all three cops, and the 'hunting mentality' some criminals
are showing toward law enforcement officers.

BTW, it was never said whether the alleged domestic violence complaint turned out to
be real or not.

Bear
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

kirgi07

• Acting as a Curmudgeon unless otherwise specified.
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 08:25:40 am »

I hope they have current Fishing Permits,and of course a large Checkbook. Ought 7.
If you look like food you will be EATEN.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Pages: [1]   Go Up