The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creativity and the All-Important Drawing Stroke  (Read 24002 times)

amagi

Re: Creativity and the All-Important Drawing Stroke
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2008, 06:40:47 pm »

I have spent a lot of time lately tryijng to figure out why I do and do not want to perform.  I am a singer, and a pretty good one.  I spent many years at open mic nights and music circles trying to convince myself of that one and am now convinced.  Having got there, I don't go out and perform any more.  I occasionally go to a music circle at a local bar because I like the people involved.  But if someone who gets on my nerves shows up I usually leave.  I mostly skip my turn, and won't take one at all unless specifically invited. I am suddenly shy about doing well.  I am now embarrased to recieve the praise I worked so hard to earn. At the same time, I am hurt if I am passed over to sing at a wedding or funeral.  I still want the recognition. (I never offer)

I asked a performing friend what motivates him.  He answered without hesitation. "Kudos.  I just like the attention"  That made me feel a little better about myself but doesn't really speak to my problem.

Lately I have been thinking if I had an acompanist and a job I would be motivated.  I would have another pressure besides my own need to get me on stage.  Another musician depending on me and an audience expecting something.

I intend this spring to try out at a local semi-professional theatre. I saw a musical they did and it was on a par with the broadway version I saw on TV for quality of voice and acting. If I can get in there I will feel like I have done something worth while with my voice.
Which leads me to wonder why I feel like I need to do something with it.  I enjoy singing to myself.  I do it all the time.  But I want to create something beautiful and have others think it is beautiful.  I think if I were an artist I would feel the same way.

I observed in colledge something about writers.  They write.  All the time and with or without a specific goal.  I was prattling about the book I was going to write "someday".  My roommate had one almost complete.  In long hand, is several spiral bound notebooks.  I am not a writer.  I could be good at it but I have no passion.  I do have a passion for singing.  I studied it for 12 years of school. 
Superficially I can look at the music industry and I quale.  It looks damn near impossible to break into music, or to make any money at it.  There needs to be another motive.  What is mine?
"I also find myself on fairly firm ground identifying good and evil without resorting to my opinion of God's opinion"
LJer Tigertoy

RVM45

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2008, 06:49:55 am »

Amagi- You raise questions that only you can answer.

Cogitate about the following theory though- I call it: "Van Gogh's Sister-In-Law".

Van Gogh sold- depending on how you define the word "sold"- none; one; four; or five paintings. He never collected any money on any of them.

Van Gogh died. Shortly thereafter, his brother- and his biggest supporter- Theo died.

The only thing that Theo's widow had in great abundance, was Van Gogh originals. She lugged them to Art shows, all over Europe- and I suppose she seized every opporotunity to show them to lone indiviuals as well.

After fifteen or twenty years of this, Van Gogh started to sell. The old woman was a multi-millionaire- and still owned over half the world's Van Goghs when she died.

Now reason would suggest that there have been many Artists of equal or greater merit than Van Gogh, over the centuries. They toiled in obscurity; and today, no slightest trace of their work survives- simply because these unsung geniuses had no sister-in-law to hawk their wares after they were gone.

Many conclusions could be drawn from the Sister-In-Law rule.

This is one I like:

Concerns with Right and Wrong; Good or Eviil; or Sucess or Failure; are all the delusions of a sick mind. The wise man acts purely for the sake of action; with absolutely no regard for comsequences.

If your Art is not worth doing for it's own sake- well, that's the only reward you are ever assured of...

.....RVM45     :thumbsup: 

« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 07:52:04 am by RVM45 »
There are only Two Types of People in the World:

A.} Folks who are after my Guns;

And;

B.} Folks who Are Not after my Guns.

Nothing Else Matters.

iloilo

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2008, 07:28:18 pm »

Beautifully stated, RMV45
ff

spatter

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2008, 08:17:02 pm »

Claire,

Have you read "On Not Being Able to Paint" by Joanna Field (aka Marion Milner)? 

I noticed it on my husband's bookshelf a few weeks ago and grabbed it.  I haven't had a chance to read it through, but at first glance it appears to be worth reading.

It takes a little doing to find an affordable copy on amazon...here's the link - http://www.amazon.com/Not-Being-Able-Paint/dp/087477263X/ref=pd_sim_b_img_1

Published in 1957.  Forward by Anna Freud.   When the next snowstorm brings down my Dish TV, I'm going to read it...or maybe when I get tired of listening to the media analyze and analyze what happened in New Hampshire. 

Spatter
It's the Government's job to print the money, deliver the mail and declare war. Now give me my cigarettes.

Florence King
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up