The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Lakota Sioux Secede from U.S.  (Read 15917 times)

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Lakota Sioux Secede from U.S.
« on: December 20, 2007, 07:22:46 am »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,317548,00.html

... and invite the rest of us to join them.

I have to admit that, quixotic though this is, my heart leaped with hope when I read the article. MamaLiberty, this is happening in your backyard. What can you tell us?

Claire
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

NuclearDruid

Re: Lakota Sioux Secede from U.S.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 08:29:46 am »

Good for them! I guess the tribe will be setting up a legal defense fund soon. I suspect the Fibbies are dusting off their COINTELPRO manual so that they can discredit this the same way they did AIM.

ND
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 08:39:18 am »

Naturally, there's a frustrating lack of news about this. But I did find one local article that adds at least a tiny bit more detail:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071220/NEWS/712200347/1001

Also, for those who may not remember, Russell Means, who appears to be the chief agitator behind this effort, once campaigned (with the support of FIJA-founder Larry Dodge and Honey Lanham) to become the presidential candidate of the Libertarian Party.
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 08:50:29 am »

http://www.lakotafreedom.com/

The Lakota Freedom Movement website.

C

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 09:44:03 am »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,317548,00.html

... and invite the rest of us to join them.

I have to admit that, quixotic though this is, my heart leaped with hope when I read the article. MamaLiberty, this is happening in your backyard. What can you tell us?

Claire

As usual, the MSM is reporting this as if Means and his group can speak for all AmerInd people, which they obviously do not. I've send a request for more information to an AmerInd person I know well, and will report what he says about this as soon as possible.

None of this has been in our local papers, strangely enough... I will do some more looking.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Joel

• Just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 01:26:04 pm »

Ah...well, this might just be another Russel Means/AIM stunt.  Apparently not all the Lakota are in on this...

"I want to emphasize, we do not represent the collaborators, the Vichy Indians and those tribal governments set up by the United States of America to ensure our poverty, to ensure the theft of our land and resources," Means said, comparing elected tribal governments to Nazi collaborators in France during World War II.

Rodney Bordeaux, chairman of the Rosebud Sioux Tribe, said his community has no desire to join the breakaway nation. Means and his group, which call themselves the Lakota Freedom Delegation, have never officially pitched their views to the Rosebud community, Bordeaux said.
Yet another Freedomista blog: The Ultimate Answer to Kings is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 01:37:29 pm »

Ah...well, this might just be another Russel Means/AIM stunt.  Apparently not all the Lakota are in on this...

"I want to emphasize, we do not represent the collaborators, the Vichy Indians and those tribal governments set up by the United States of America to ensure our poverty, to ensure the theft of our land and resources," Means said, comparing elected tribal governments to Nazi collaborators in France during World War II.

Rodney Bordeaux, chairman of the Rosebud Sioux Tribe, said his community has no desire to join the breakaway nation. Means and his group, which call themselves the Lakota Freedom Delegation, have never officially pitched their views to the Rosebud community, Bordeaux said.

Although (alas) it likely IS just another Russell Means/AIM stunt, and I also wondered how many Lakota actually support it, the above quote doesn't  give enough of a clue. The Rosebud Sioux are a different tribe, and  who knows who the Vichy Indians are. Elected Lakota leaders? Or leaders of other tribes? Still ... "Vichy Indians" ... it's a damn good phrase, don't you think? (If you're old enough or educated enough to get the implications.)

Claire

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 01:50:04 pm »

http://www.lakotafreedom.com/

The Lakota Freedom Movement website.

C

I must be doing something wrong.   
All I get when I use this link is the letter o  or maybe it's the number 0 on an otherwise blank page.
I do run noscript and DID allow the page in it's permissions.

Is there another addy for it ?

While I sympathize with Mr Means and his personal feelings I find it curious that he doesn't stand in front of the Lakota People and ask to be their spokesperson. He "elects" himself to the post. Not a good sign in my 'book'.
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III

Junker

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 02:08:07 pm »

I got:

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
    The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
    Apache/1.3.37 Server at lakotafreedom.org Port 80

Joel

• Just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 02:14:43 pm »

I got:

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

Yeah, I got the same thing when I tried the site earlier today.  Their server is getting hammered; somebody didn't think ahead.
Yet another Freedomista blog: The Ultimate Answer to Kings is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 02:30:40 pm »

I got:

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

Yeah, I got the same thing when I tried the site earlier today.  Their server is getting hammered; somebody didn't think ahead.

I got:

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
    The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
    Apache/1.3.37 Server at lakotafreedom.org Port 80

*Gulp* D'you mean to tell me that I didn't mess it up ?

I've got to write this on the calendar ....
{"used computer and didn't mess up ...."}
Hmmm  .... the days not over yet  ....
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 02:32:24 pm by gooch »
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III

iloilo

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 02:58:28 pm »

Let us not overlook the possibility that fedgov may have decided to hammer the site, as they did to the Elaine and Ed Brown site earlier this year, IIRC.

NuclearDruid

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 03:19:33 pm »

Let us not overlook the possibility that fedgov may have decided to hammer the site, as they did to the Elaine and Ed Brown site earlier this year, IIRC.

Our Fedgov? Preposterous! The next thing you be implying is that our government would offer tribes socialized medical care and then forcibly sterilize them. Oh, wait.....

ND
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

iloilo

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 03:23:36 pm »

Our Fedgov? Preposterous! The next thing you be implying is that our government would offer tribes socialized medical care and then forcibly sterilize them. Oh, wait.....

ND

:wub: :wub:  good ND, very good!   :wub: :wub:

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 05:43:43 am »

LakotaFreedom.com is working fine for me this morning.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up