The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slaves, but affluent slaves  (Read 4437 times)

Junker

Slaves, but affluent slaves
« on: December 21, 2007, 05:46:25 pm »

From one of mises.com/forums

Perhaps Higgs (damn, I'm quoting a lot of Higgs lately) says it best, in
Against Leviathan:

"…the US government is growing stronger, not weaker, all things considered. Perhaps
    the most important reason for this ongoing growth of government is ideological; it is
    that so few people in the United States today really give a damn about living as free
    men and women. After a century of fighting a losing battle against their own govts,
    the American people have finally accepted that the best course open to them is simply
    to label their servitude as freedom and to concentrate on enjoying the creature
    comforts that the government still permits them to possess. They may be slaves,
    but they are affluent slaves, and that condition is good enough for them."

Or to go back a few more years, Shaw nailed it:

"Liberty means responsibility - that is why most men dread it."
[/list]

Myrkul

Re: Slaves, but affluent slaves
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 04:06:49 am »

A golden chain is still a chain.... and the heavier for it.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein
"If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner, and wink your eye at some homely girl." -H. L. Menken

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 05:02:16 am »

Well, then I wonder why so many are willing to place chains of iron upon others if perhaps they might be allowed a chain of gold?
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Myrkul

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 05:14:18 am »

Well, then I wonder why so many are willing to place chains of iron upon others if perhaps they might be allowed a chain of gold?

There's a class of people that are jealous that anyone is un-chained.... and will accept a gold chain simply to see an iron one on others.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein
"If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner, and wink your eye at some homely girl." -H. L. Menken
Pages: [1]   Go Up