The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Heinlein Quotes  (Read 17643 times)

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
Heinlein Quotes
« on: December 22, 2007, 05:17:25 am »

Junker edited down to just the quotes a wikiquote list from Robert A. Heinlein. What a joy it was to read so much wit and wisdom in one place!

[wiki]R.A.H._Quotes[/wiki]
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
Re: Heinlein Quotes
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 05:29:28 am »

I liked it so much, I copied it to a quick-loading text-only page: http://billstclair.com/heinlein.html
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

Elias Alias

• Administrator
  • TMM
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 10:44:55 am »

Yes, most excellent. A treat for every taste. Thank you both, Junker and Bill St. Clair.

Salute!
Elias
"Heirs to self-knowledge shed gently their fears..."

Junker

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 11:13:59 am »

Bol'shoe spasibo, tovarishchi.

Heinlein is my favorite story teller, and he has shown
spot-on analysis o'er the years.

Making it to your pages, Bill, is high complement. Thank you.

And for all,

A rational anarchist believes that concepts, such as 'state' and 'society' and
    'government' have no existence save as physically exemplified in the acts of
    self-responsible individuals. He believes that it is impossible to shift blame,
    share blame, distribute blame... as blame, guilt, responsibility are matters
    taking place inside human beings singly and nowhere else. But being rational,
    he knows that not all individuals hold his evaluations, so he tries to live perfectly
    in an imperfect world... aware that his efforts will be less than perfect yet
    undismayed by self-knowledge of self-failure.

geopotter72

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 01:47:48 pm »

Little girls, like butterflies, need no excuse.

My absolute, all time favorite. Has noting to do with politics or philosophy.

It's just true.

Danl

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 12:15:15 am »

I must give one of my favorites.....:

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, and die gallantly. Specialization is for ants." --R. A. Heinlein

Regards, Danl
"No oppression was ever overthrown by a bunch of readers  and philosophers. Liberty is usually dirty and bloody work, and if we don't have the option of providing our masters with a real  fight, then they will perennially call our wussy  bluff." Quote from Boston T. Party's Boston's Reply to Critics of "Molon Labe"
http://www.freecolorado.com/2004/02/bostonreply.html

Myrkul

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 03:26:46 am »

That one is up there in my top five... Right along the one in my sig. :)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein
"If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner, and wink your eye at some homely girl." -H. L. Menken

NuclearDruid

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 10:29:29 am »

Not a quote, but a whole new essay that I didn't know existed. It's from Edward R. Murrow's This I believe series.

The Government-Subsidized Loss of Community

Robert Heinlein was a popular science fiction author in the golden age of sci-fi. His book, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, is a classic.

He was a humanist and a libertarian. He once wrote a 640-word essay for a radio series organized by leftist journalist Edward R. Murrow. The series was called This I Believe. The essays have been republished by National Public Radio, half a century later.

In his essay, Heinlein wrote:

I am not going to talk about religious beliefs but about matters so obvious that it has gone out of style to mention them. I believe in my neighbors. I know their faults, and I know that their virtues far outweigh their faults.

ND
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

Danl

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 01:57:49 pm »

Not a quote, but a whole new essay that I didn't know existed. It's from Edward R. Murrow's This I believe series.

The Government-Subsidized Loss of Community

Great read..... Thanks.
Regards, Danl
"No oppression was ever overthrown by a bunch of readers  and philosophers. Liberty is usually dirty and bloody work, and if we don't have the option of providing our masters with a real  fight, then they will perennially call our wussy  bluff." Quote from Boston T. Party's Boston's Reply to Critics of "Molon Labe"
http://www.freecolorado.com/2004/02/bostonreply.html

NuclearDruid

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 07:54:25 am »

Heinlein quotes getting some print time in an Arkansas newspaper.

Wisdom Found in Science Fiction
Author Robert Heinlein Credited for Life Lessons

ND
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

azcoyote

• Tom Paine wannabe
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 12:08:27 am »

Thanks Junker and Bill. I added the link to may faves.

RAH influenced me LONG before I got to Rand and I still reread him when I need a mental pick-me-up. Even the juvies.

If you can find a copy of The Notebooks of Lazarus Long on ebay or whatever...get it.

My faves:

" Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks."

"Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark."

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."

"Be wary of strong drink. It makes you shoot at tax collectors--and miss."

"Never try to outstubborn a cat."

I reread Time Enough for Love every couple of years or so, just so I can re-integrate his advice when the world gets me down.

RAH! RAH! RAH!
Coyote
Always keep your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark. Robert A. Heinlein

Junker

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 11:35:51 am »

Thanks Junker and Bill. I added the link to may faves.

... and I still reread him when I need a mental pick-me-up. Even the juvies.

RAH! RAH! RAH!
Coyote

Yes! Me too. Long time reader and re-reader, still fun, still smart.

dogsledder54

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 02:10:36 pm »

I am only an egg. - Robert A. Heinlein

Junker

Screenplay online- The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 10:12:34 pm »

Via out of step wconger's blog
Screenplay.pdf

"The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress"
    by
    Tim Minear
    Based on the novel by
    Robert A. Heinlein

I've been reading it. Fun. Go Mannie!

vargthewanderer

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 11:33:58 am »

I think that book must be required reading to understand half of the jokes that go on here. I just finished it myself, and it opened my eyes a lot, aside from being an excellent read. Now I have to read the rest of his books, as well as find myself a copy of Atlas Shrugged (yeah, I know, different author).
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!

-Patrick Henry-
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up