The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fatal Blindness  (Read 3336 times)

Junker

Fatal Blindness
« on: January 11, 2008, 10:33:43 pm »

http://www.billstclair.com/fatalblindness

Fatal Blindness

America's Decades of Declining Freedom and The Rise of its Dictators

An important, forthcoming book.
An impassioned defense of your right to life and liberty.
A warning no American can afford to ignore.

by FULTON HUXTABLE

Some chapts saved - thank you, Bill

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
Re: Fatal Blindness
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 05:18:44 am »

You're most welcome, Junker. I've been wanting to make that public for a long time now, but I had forgotten about it. Restoring from backup the 2/3 of my web site that I mistakenly deleted showed me the directory, and I did another web search for the author, found no evidence of current web presence, and decided to post it without his permission. I need to read it again. I remember being very impressed.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

Junker

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 10:31:42 am »

Although his fatalblindness.com is dead, several of his essays are still around.
Frintance:

The Haters of Hate by Fulton Huxtable

[Reprinted from Issues & Views Winter 1998]

Statist (stá tist), n. One who believes in the principle or policy of concentrating extensive economic, political and related controls in the state at the cost of individual liberty.

One of the hallmarks of a totalitarian society is the imprisonment of individuals for their ideas. Did you know that, in America, there are individuals serving prison time for their beliefs, for the ideas they hold? Don't believe it? Read on.

-- Fulton Huxtable is a freelance writer and president of Huxtable Associates in St. Charles, Missouri. Visit his website at: Dead link- http://www.fatalblindness.com
    [/list]

Fulton Huxtable

Fulton Huxtable, formerly a Purdue political philosophy teacher, is author of "Fatal Blindness," which attacks most government functions as statist intrusions into personal liberty. His domestic politics appear to be similar to those of Ayn Rand, although Huxtable seems even less sympathetic to government's very existence. "Fatal Blindness" was available on Huxtable's website,
    www.fatalblindness.com, which no longer exists.
    [/list]

Courage by Fulton Huxtable (1999)

Courage is integrity in the face of danger. The danger may be a threat to your life or simply the possible failure at some task before you, such as persuading others of the truth of your ideas. Courage is not the senseless sacrifice of your life and time to an undertaking that is clearly doomed to defeat. It is dedication, in action, to that which is possible.

Ideas created the possibility of America. Courage made America a reality.

Ideas that Kill by Fulton Huxtable (1999)

I grew up in a town that probably had more guns in town than people. Guns
      were all over the place and no one feared them. Virtually every adult owned
      one or more guns, including automatic weapons. Lots of people carried them
      around openly, in their cars and on their persons, especially during hunting
      season. Guns were a lot more accessible to children than they are today.

Not only did every kid in school know where his parents kept their guns, virtually every pre-teen boy owned, by the time he was 10 years or so old, a shotgun or rifle given to him by his parents. Yet not a single person felt threatened or was ever threatened. And there was not a single murder using a gun or any other weapon while I lived there.

Et cetera by ggl

Edit: fix link
    « Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 12:50:50 pm by Junker »

Junker

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 05:15:44 pm »

Ch 1, para 1:

Suppose, for the moment, that you live in an imaginary land in which your right to life and liberty is not an absolute, no longer inalienable, that you are no longer totally free to live your life by your own judgment, to live your life as you see fit, but increasingly you are regulated and forbidden by the state from doing more and more things—that you live in a country in which you no longer have the right to control the use and disposal of your property, that the state dictates to you what you may and may not do with your property, that your property may be unjustly seized for crimes you did not commit—that you live in a nation in which the state dictates to you how much of your money you will be allowed to keep for your own needs, with the state forcibly taking the rest anytime it wants—that your freedom of speech is restricted, with the state dictating to you what you may and may not say about certain things.

Yes, just imagine!

MTB

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 05:01:37 pm »

Wayback Machine table of contents for www.fatalblindness.com
    < http://web.archive.org/web/*/www.fatalblindness.com >

www.fatalblindness.com home page at the Wayback Machine:
    < http://web.archive.org/web/20021202124200/http://www.fatalblindness.com/ >

I like his attitude and mostly-clear vision: however, I found this in the Introduction to the book:
    This battle is not to be fought by those misguided militia groups. This is not a call to arms, but a call to minds, to ideas. This is a call to end, once and for all, mankind’s nightmare of being tormented by statists, those who use force, not reason, to deal with others. This is not a call to be anti-government. It is a call to restore government to its proper function: the protection of individual rights, of your right to life and liberty.

I seems that old Fulton is an unselfconscious statist himself. His "Take Action!" page only suggests action within the context of the existing state.    Sheesh.

However (again . . . ) he does grasp the basic concepts with an iron claw:
    This book is a declaration of your independence: your life is yours—your life is yours to live as you see fit without seeking the permission of others, as long as you do not violate the same right of another individual—your money is yours to use and spend as you wish—your property is yours to control, use and dispose of as you see fit without seeking the permission of others. Either you have these rights or you do not: there is nothing in between, no compromise answer, no middle ground when it comes to the question of your right to live your life as you see fit—and this book demonstrates this fact.

Now, if he could only apply the latter to the former.   Sigh.

No government has ever had the function of protecting any commoner's rights to life or liberty. That is why voting for any candidate is an exercise in futility.

Government has only four basic functions; all else being mere propaganda and excuses:

Robbery
    Rape
    Slavery
    Murder

There can be no compromise or peaceful coexistence between freedom and the state.
    To the extent that you have one, you have less of the other.
    They are mutually exclusive.
    One must destroy the other.

Fulton Huxtable (on even-numbered days), or James Madison and his merry band of Federalists notwithstanding.

While I have not read the entire web site that remains, and I greatly admire his grasp of the principles of philosophy and history presented -- I find his half-baked call to action to be part and parcel with much other wheel-spinning that I see elsewhere. I address this incomplete thinking process in my latest column at The Libertarian Enterprise:
    "Half Baked Cookies Topped With A-priori Assumptions" at < http://www.ncc-1776.org/tle2008/tle451-20080113-07.html >.

Speaker

Junker

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 05:26:16 pm »

As usual, quite fun (good) from our perspective(s), Speaker.

I'm glad you're alive and pub'ed at TLE. And hope many are learning.
    - - - - -

BTW, do you have a url list of your works that I can copy into our wiki?

Pages: [1]   Go Up