The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Paul supporters: Second choices?  (Read 7003 times)

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Paul supporters: Second choices?
« on: January 28, 2008, 12:19:35 pm »

Radley Balko's latest Monday Morning Poll asks for readers' second choices (after Ron Paul) for president. (Or your "least worst" choice, as Balko puts it.)

I was surprised to see that the poll results pretty much duplicated my own view on each of the current candidates. I'm not voting for any of them (not Paul, either, though I've donated and put out signs for him). But at the time I took the poll, my second-choice guy was running away with it and my bottom three choices were ... rivaling with each other to bottom out. (After wrestling with the question of who is most loathsome -- Hillary, Guiliani, or Huckabee -- I finally concluded that the dimwit theocrat "FairTaxer" Huckabee would be far worse than a pair of corrupt cynics.) The rest of the candidates fell approximately in the order I'd choose them if you stuck a gun in my ear and told me I had to.

Just wondering how the poll results mirror your own second choices.

And yes, as you might expect, a lot of commentors say that among this crop of houseplants and toxic waste emitters there really is no second choice.

Claire

« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 01:56:25 pm by Claire »
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Leonidas the Younger

Re: Paul supporters: Second choices?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 01:00:12 pm »

I really don't see a second choice.

And while I still support Paul, I have learned a number of things from his run ..

Oh boy. Just, "wow" ..

Anyway, whatever. La ti dah.

How are you, Claire? Been a while, hope all is well. The biggest news in my life is I've decided to take the plunge ..

DAH DAH DAH ..

Thats right, Leo is getting .. a drivers license.

:P

I figure I can do more for freedom with wheels than without, and the hassle of not having one is more than I care for at this time.

Still feel like I'm giving in, though ..

-- Leonidas
-- It may soon be time to say: "I plead the second."; are you ready?
-- What have you *DONE* for freedom today?
-- Collectives may exist under individualism, but individuals are not suffered to exist under collectivism.
-- I don't beg anyone for my freedom any more.  It isn't theirs to give me.  It's mine to take and to live. - Lightning.
-- Educated men are as much superior to uneducated men as the living are to the dead. - Aristotle

spatter

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 01:26:58 pm »

Obama.

At least he's not advocating mandatory health insurance...and he's a bit more of a populist than an authoritarian.  And he smokes...or did until very recently.

He's also got a hell of a speechwriter (and is apparently quite good himself). 

The comparisons to JFK disturb me...I worry about him.

Spatter
It's the Government's job to print the money, deliver the mail and declare war. Now give me my cigarettes.

Florence King

Tahn L.

• Neither Predator Nor Prey
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 01:35:43 pm »

"Non of the above" would have to be my choice, as I have quit voting for the lesser of the evils. Only Ron Paul made me come out of my shell.
All human beings have two dogs within them. A good dog and an evil dog. The evil dog is always attacking and fighting the good dog. Which one wins?
The one you feed!
  Native American Story

Government is a meme, woven within a supporting memeplex.

Who ever frames the argument, kicks ass.

From MamaLiberty; "The Price of Liberty (is) self ownership, self control, integrity and non-aggression."

"The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil". MamaLiberty

NuclearDruid

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 01:43:52 pm »

I'm with Tahn. I don't have a problem voting third party. I voted Green during the last Gubernatorial election because the only difference between a Chicago Republican and a Chicago Democrat is which side of the Daley machine they are married into.
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

Scarmiglione'

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 01:44:36 pm »

None of the above. 

Not him either.
We've built a world safe for fools, and are overrun by them.

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 01:45:13 pm »

If not Paul, then Paulsen

JAN-22-DETROIT, MI - Even deceased, presidential candidate Pat Paulsen managed to garner more votes than Democratic candidate Kucinich in several precincts of Michigan’s January 15th primary.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 01:48:40 pm by RagnarDanneskjold »
The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 01:51:23 pm »

There are no other choices. I will vote for Dr. Paul in the primary on Super Tuesday. Then, unless by some miracle he is the Republican candidate in November, I will sit out the election. NONE of the other candidates qualifies as dog catcher. And the best thing to do with most of them would be to try them for treason, and, if convicted by a jury of their peers, hang them at dawn the next day, televised worldwide as how America deals with tyrants.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

Resurgam

• I Shall Rise Again!
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 03:15:00 pm »

I will be writing in "Jefferson Davis" if Paul does not get the nomination.

HippieSurvivalist

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 03:18:31 pm »

I probably shouldn't be replying, since RP is not my first (or even my 8th) choice for president. Having said that, I hope to vote for Obama in the general election--he's an outsider (moreso than the Clintons, at least) who might effect real change in how our government works.

HippieSurvivalist

Basil Fishbone

• Administrator
    • http://
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 03:46:08 pm »

Assuming I don't vote for the LP nominee, I've been telling people I may vote for Hillary.

If Hillary was doing what George Bush has been doing, in terms of implementing a totalitarian fascist police state, all the "conservative"  Republicans would be up in arms, perhaps literally.  Bush, they give a free pass to, 'cause he's a Republican, don't you know.

If we are going to have a dictatorship, let's make it obvious.  Then maybe we can get some resolution.

Basil

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 03:48:18 pm »

There are no other choices.

Okay, let me put it another way. Think not in terms of whom you'd vote for but ... if you knew for sure that you were going to spend the next four years seeing one of Radley's candidates every time you turned on your TV ... knew you were going to hear his/her state of the union addresses parsed endlessly as if they were messages from God ... knew you were going to have to live with the foreign and domestic policy consequences of Candidate X ...

... which in Radley's poll would be your "least-worst" choice? Which one would make you gag least often?

My "least-worst" choice would be Obama. At least he's not some broken-down old political workhorse. At least he's not singing the same old political song. At least he's eloquent (and after 20 years of presidents who sounded like half-trained monkeys, that's saying something.) And yes, at least he's not advocating total socialized medicine. And he actually does seem to see other points of view besides his own and those of all the standard political hacks.

And HippieSurvivalist ... of course you can answer, too. I ASS-U-ME that most here lean Paulish (even if we're not voters, even if we disagree with him on beaucoup issues, as I do). But don't let that stop you.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 03:51:39 pm by Claire »
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Tahn L.

• Neither Predator Nor Prey
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 03:57:45 pm »

Well, Since you "put it thus", I don't know if I should go with Obama, because of the reasons you stated Claire, or go with Hillary for the excellent reasons stated by Basil.  Toss Up.
All human beings have two dogs within them. A good dog and an evil dog. The evil dog is always attacking and fighting the good dog. Which one wins?
The one you feed!
  Native American Story

Government is a meme, woven within a supporting memeplex.

Who ever frames the argument, kicks ass.

From MamaLiberty; "The Price of Liberty (is) self ownership, self control, integrity and non-aggression."

"The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil". MamaLiberty

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 04:56:55 pm »

Gee, Claire, it's hard to pick between death by hanging and death by firing squad. I choose life!
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 06:22:53 pm »

Nary a one of them, Obama is a AWB type, the process is like some sort of machine that is out of control and producing faulty products..time after time after time....
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

http://tthelastcause.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up