The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how will MS bid for Yahoo affect privacy policies ? discuss  (Read 965 times)

byron mc

how will MS bid for Yahoo affect privacy policies ? discuss
« on: February 01, 2008, 03:21:33 pm »

Microsoft bids $44.6 billion to buy Yahoo
Fri Feb 1, 2008
http://www.reuters.com/article/innovationNews/idUSWNAS894220080201?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=10004

well now let's see Microsoft will get their hands on yahoo's mail accounts and Flickr accounts.
hmm, i guess they will merge all their Hotmail and MSN email accounts into Yahoo's system and force everyone to change their address in  a year or so...?
and what about Yahoo's privacy policy? Will it change? for the worse?
Of course it's all part of MS' big plan to try to compete with Google with online applications...
MS needs more subscribers (Hotmail & Yahoo mail customers combined are a lot of people together) that can use these new online applications.

Of course microsoft lost out on the advertisting that google has but I'm sure they would love to have some MS Yahoo calendar be the one people use and not Google calendar...
l

byron mc

l

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
Re: how will MS bid for Yahoo affect privacy policies ? discuss
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 08:58:21 pm »

I think that the word "force" in your first post is a bad choice,  there.  m$ ain't gonna "force" me to do jack shit...

As some of you know,  I have a yahoo group.  I also have a yahoo email address,   and besides that am subscribed to a whole bunch of different yahoo groups that I read for information purposes.

I heard about this pile of steaming turds idea the other night on the news,  and immediately posted to my group the following:

Subj: Notice to all group members!

They say "> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/" in the bottom of each post.  For the most part these aren't too terribly objectionable.  However!

I just heard something on the news about m$ offering some absurd amount of money to _buy_ Yahoo!,  and that they're apparently considering the offer.

I just want to let you all know that if that deal goes through I will be severing ALL of my ties with yahoo,  all group subscriptions,  and killing my email account.

I will also be deleting this group,  to resurrect it somewhere else,  on some other host.

Just a heads-up...

So that's where I stand with this nonsense.  Granted,  nothing I'm doing now would end up directly supporting m$ in any case,  but if I were still using it they'd be getting ad revenues and I'd be indirectly contributing to that.  Besides,  billyboy has enough money...

Dealing with yahoo is bad enough,  in terms of trying to communicate with anybody who's actually going to listen to what you're saying and deal with it.  But dealing with m$ would be worse.  Yahoo goes ahead and changes things,  including changing their tv listings in the recent past to something that's a hell of a lot less usable than it was,  changing yahoo maps to "broadband editition" where you have to wait for their stupid page to load before you can select the old way (not an option with the tv stuff any more),  and similar crap.  Once m$ gets involved in stuff,  if this deal goes through,  they'll be pushing _their_ way of doing things,  and I've turned my back on that,  way back in 1999,  and have no intentions whatsoever to have anything further to do with them.

Force?  Only if they come to my house and hold a gun to my head,  at which point I'll spit in their faces.
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin
Pages: [1]   Go Up