The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DEATH DREAM - An Obscure 1970's Classic  (Read 1624 times)

Secret Six

• BANNED
  • S6
  • Clinging to his guns and religion in Bucks County
DEATH DREAM - An Obscure 1970's Classic
« on: February 17, 2008, 03:38:57 pm »

Although Horror Films rarely fit the category of freedom classics, this one little gem made by Bob Clark who gave us the PORKY's films and featuring the debut of noted make up artist Tom Savini (My Fellow PA Resident and who I met many times in the Pittsburgh region) deserves a look not only for its bone chilling story but for its stance on the Vietnam War...

The Gruesome Tale goes as this

A young American GI Andy Brooks (Richard Backus) gets gunned down by the VC on a night patrol in Vietnam. However his devoted Mom constantly wishes that her son does'nt due and gets it granted....However as in the classic tale THE MONKEY'S PAW, sometimes death is a better alternative than what is wished for.... :rolleyes:

Andy comes home after Mom and Dad (John Marley from THE GODFATHER) recieve a telegram hand delivered by a US Army Captain who delivers his condolences ....::bs:

Upon his Return, Andy sits in his room, refusing to see his friends or family, venturing out only at night.  We find out how and why Andy keeps alive by living off the blood of his victims including the Doctor who refused to grant him a deferment and other people who he feels made him go to Vietnam....

Andy tells the soon to be deceased Doc " I died for you, Doc - why shouldn’t you return the favor?"

Finally Mom and Dad realize what there son really is and Dad blows his brains out and Mom drives her rapidly decaying son to the local cemetary where he buries himself after being blasted by several JBT's who manage to spare a few moments from hassling motorists and counter girls at the Donut Delight.....

Andy - Dammit....I should've listened to that Bush Kid and joined the Air National Guard and kept Alabama safe from Viet Cong Hang Glider Pilots !!!!

Great story and greater spfx from Tom Savini who actually served in Vietnam unlike our current Emperor in Chief

Check it out on Video
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 03:43:45 pm by Secret Six »
Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.  - Theodore Roosevelt

Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate; now what's going to happen to us with both a Senate and a House? - Will Rogers
Pages: [1]   Go Up