The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Take Your Girlfriends Shooting Day  (Read 10881 times)

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Take Your Girlfriends Shooting Day
« on: October 05, 2003, 11:29:26 pm »

People often say that the best way to convert an anti-gunner into a firearms enthusiast is to take 'em to the shooting range. Especially if the anti-gunner in question is a woman who suddenly discoverers the empowerment (I hate that word) of being competent with guns.

So I was thinking about a national "Take Your Girlfriend(s) Shooting Day," on which both men and women could take female friends to the range.

But surely some gun group must already have thought of this. (Hm. Don't the Second Amendment Sisters do "Shoot and Shop"?) Does anybody know if such a day exists? Or have any ideas about good ways to promote one?
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Jac

• CPC? I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you...
    • http://www.russmo.com
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2003, 11:44:32 pm »

So I was thinking about a national "Take Your Girlfriend(s) Shooting Day," on which both men and women could take female friends to the range.
Absolutely! Except, I don't have a girlfriend... or, for that matter any female friend that's anti-gun. :huh:

Especially if the anti-gunner in question is a woman who suddenly discoverers the empowerment (I hate that word) of being competent with guns.
How about "enlightenment"?
I have never regretted that I chose to "take the red pill." But there are days, just rarely, when the truth is so ugly, so brutal, so unmerciful, so relentless, that even if I wouldn't rip the truth from the wall socket and hurl it out the window to crash on the sidewalk below, I wouldn't mind if it featured a snooze button so we could savor just a few more moments in slumbered pretension and warm, fuzzy lies pulled snugly up over our heads.
--PSM

Storm

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2003, 11:55:34 pm »

At the risk of running afoul of whomever again, I am going to offer what I suppose is a minor criticism or at least caution.

I have taught a number of women to shoot, most after they had been raped. I cannot think of a case where the individual was comfortable at a range, with all of the unspoken rules, and "boys club" atmosphere (I am sure that there are ranges somewhere that are not subject to these traits, but as we all know they are predominate).

I am not saying that ranges do not have their place, or that they are not good and useful places. Given my own experiences in these situations, I learned from them, and so I would take these women to some place where there was no strict formality, no boys club atmosphere, no expectation of prior knowledge, none of the normal pressures which most of us take for granted since we are no longer beginners. I would take them out on some property where it was safe to shoot (yes into a hillside or cliff where there was no danger of leaving bullets traveling beyond our "range") and by removing all of the other pressures and distractions which had nothing to do with firearms, it was far easier and more comfortable for these women to learn to shoot. Once they were comfortable, I encouraged them to find ranges, or I would recommend some, and encourage them to practice.

Again in my own experience it is that first hurdle that is the most difficult to overcome, and so I would remove all of the irrelevant distractions and elements which would increase the difficulty in order to focus on the real issue: learning to shoot.

I am not trying to step on any toes or upset any of the hypersensitivity of some here with these suggestions, I am simply offering my own experiences and lessons learned.  

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2003, 11:56:46 pm »

Absolutely! Except, I don't have a girlfriend... or, for that matter any female friend that's anti-gun. :huh:

You're good, Jac. You're good. Perhaps we'll have to appoint you our special emissary to Rosie O'Donnell or something. Can you imagine taking Rosie to the range?

Wow, then we could be part of the Illuminati.  ;)

Seriously, though, enlightenment is part of it. But with a lot of women (heck, with me when I first started shooting .45), there's this revelation of, "Hey, *I* can do that!" that truly goes beyond intellectual enlightenment. Not only does the veil of mystery about firearms fall, but ... well, it's like being able to change one's own oil or wire a lamp. Only better, because there's such strength and confidence in learning to protect oneself.

Empowerment would be a wonderful word if it hadn't been taken over by the PC gang.
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2003, 11:58:28 pm »

I would take these women to some place where there was no strict formality, no boys club atmosphere, no expectation of prior knowledge, none of the normal pressures which most of us take for granted since we are no longer beginners. I would take them out on some property where it was safe to shoot (yes into a hillside or cliff where there was no danger of leaving bullets traveling beyond our "range") and by removing all of the other pressures and distractions which had nothing to do with firearms, it was far easier and more comfortable for these women to learn to shoot.
Good point, Storm.

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2003, 12:21:36 am »

Can you imagine taking Rosie to the range?

I shall refrain from saying just what role my own imagination would place her in. Suffice it to say that some of her statements and actions I consider at least strong advocacy of the initiation of force or delegation thereof, so I take a pretty dim view of her.

Second Amendment Sisters has not to my recollection set up a specific day like you're suggesting. Most chapters DO have regular "learn to shoot" days for women only. I used to instruct at those pretty regularly until national started insisting on NRA credentials for all instructors. I could get them easily, but I don't like having my name on yet another list. SAS is having some internal problems at the moment, though, so there is no telling what is going to happen. A lot of the state chapters are in open revolt against some things happening at national. Some of this MAY have got sorted out at GRPC this past week... I hope.

NRA has a very active women's program, and I believe they do have some sort of a "take your lady shooting" day set up. That should be easy enough to check; if we can't dig it up any other way I'll call member services and ask.

Another group that might have tried to set up or promote something along those lines is Armed Females of America. I'm in touch with some of them occasionally and check their website regularly, will try to remember to look for you. I like the idea, though I think the name may need some work. It is such an obvious idea that somebody has to have already done it; I'd say the thing to do in that case is piggyback on the existing declaration and start trying to expand the appeal. For instance, once we know the day, I think it should not be too hard to enlist the Pink Pistols in promoting it. They are all about outreach, and one of the most effective groups going at actually doing it. Getting an announcement posted on KeepAndBearArms.com is trivial, and once it is there I believe we might be able to convince the editor at FND to pick it up - she's brutally tough but has a heart of gold, like most good editors... <ducks>

I'm sure we could come up with other angles. You or I could probably get a puff piece about the idea into Sierra Times, Libertarian Enterprise ditto; we might be able to get L Neil to mention it, and I have quite a few other very casual connections with a lot of the pro-gun writers I could try to interest. Hmmn. I can effortlessly think of ways to get Strike the Root, LibertyForAll, ThePriceofLiberty, and even DoingFreedom! might be just possible... <wink> I can get word to Lyn Bates through some back channels; maybe Mas Ayoob; BTP I think we could interest. Ok, sorry to muse over possibilities aloud to you here. Information gathering mode, folks - IS there already such a day is the first question to pin down.
from an undisclosed secure location far, far outside Ohio

Hunter's Seventieth Rule: The Internet needs a "three strikes and you're out" rule. Of the gene pool, I mean.

Jac

• CPC? I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you...
    • http://www.russmo.com
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2003, 12:27:33 am »

You're good, Jac. You're good.
*Jac bows* Ahem, Thank you, thank you very much! :D

Perhaps we'll have to appoint you our special emissary to Rosie O'Donnell or something. Can you imagine taking Rosie to the range?
Yes, but I can also imagine dousing my feet in gasoline, then throwing a match on them... guess which one I would prefer. :P

(Actually, it depends on which end of the range she's on... I think Hunter and I are in agreement on that. :))
I have never regretted that I chose to "take the red pill." But there are days, just rarely, when the truth is so ugly, so brutal, so unmerciful, so relentless, that even if I wouldn't rip the truth from the wall socket and hurl it out the window to crash on the sidewalk below, I wouldn't mind if it featured a snooze button so we could savor just a few more moments in slumbered pretension and warm, fuzzy lies pulled snugly up over our heads.
--PSM

mantispid

• http://www.mantispid.com
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2003, 12:51:42 am »

People often say that the best way to convert an anti-gunner into a firearms enthusiast is to take 'em to the shooting range. Especially if the anti-gunner in question is a woman who suddenly discoverers the empowerment (I hate that word) of being competent with guns.

But surely some gun group must already have thought of this. (Hm. Don't the Second Amendment Sisters do "Shoot and Shop"?) Does anybody know if such a day exists? Or have any ideas about good ways to promote one?
Hmm..  I'm guessing wives would be included as well?
"The root of all corruption is the willingness to violate the peaceful free will of others." -mantispid

Mantispid's weblog, "The Free Mind".

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2003, 12:59:51 am »

This is one of the reasons I think the name needs work. Somehow you want to include wives, girlfriends, female acquaintances, and "da girlz" that "da other girlz" hang out with. And, no, I haven't a clue what to suggest. It's an elegant problem, and I am still admiring it before tackling solutions. One thing at a time.
from an undisclosed secure location far, far outside Ohio

Hunter's Seventieth Rule: The Internet needs a "three strikes and you're out" rule. Of the gene pool, I mean.

rick

• http://www.frankenrangers.org
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2003, 05:03:00 am »

Not too long ago, I did it with my girlfriend. No, take her to the range, of course. She was surprised by several things: first: the noise and by how much a good ear protection can reduce it. Second: that she was able to hit the target 25 meters away with several rounds 9mm right from the start. Third and most: the polite atmosphere on the range. Lots of males on one big pile and - no really salty language and a very peaceful way to get along with each other. She had been to other sportive events before, but never ever to a shooting range. She would not (yet) touch my T/C Encore, but I'm having built an exchange barrel in .22-.215, and with that I think, she will get to good terms. At the moment she is in process of getting acquainted with the thought to try either clays or archery. Not too bad for a formerly convinced anti-gunner  ;)

Later, I took her to a closed range where some guy wanted to try his courage with the .45-70. From a 15" bbl, that is an impression you are not likely to forget in a closed room. It was a 50 m range and we shut almost all lights down. the muzzle flash was like an ancient Flak gun, a torus of 18" diameter (not kidding) and the sound was a deep-belly BOOOOOOM. Might be something for people oversensitive for high-pitched sounds. That left another deep impression on her...
rick

I bear no hate against a living thing I just love my freedom all above the King

Searcher

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2003, 05:30:12 am »

I have taken many of my female friends to the range. Most are scared at first, most aren't by the end of they day. I think a "take someone to the range" day is a great idea.
Some of you girls ought to think about taking a few guys out there, too.  

Jack Harrison

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2003, 06:31:13 am »

I'd suggest also holding a "Take Your Congresscritter Shooting Day" but I'm afraid there'd be a few tragedies involved.

Just yesterday, in the middle of nowhere, well actually in the middle of the Gettysburg Apple Harvest Festival, my wife says to me "I do want you to teach me to shoot skeet".

I stopped in my tracks. "OK!" was all I said as this was the first time she's ever said anything about _her_ taking up a firearm in her hands.

I'm wearing her down!
Who will survive and what will be left of them?

Scarmiglione'

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2003, 07:03:09 am »

I'm going to add my own spin to this.  I'm not one for converting adults.  That's either easy, or impossible, depending on their predilection.  What I suggest is:

Take Your Daughter Shooting Day

I believe this would innoculate the two most targeted groups for instilling gun phobia, children and women.  If we can get to the children before the anti-gun culture does, well, as we all know, the phobia of guns disappears rapidly and usually never returns once the lies are dispersed.  I say poison the ground those lies take root in.
We've built a world safe for fools, and are overrun by them.

Herself

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2003, 07:42:14 am »

Quote from: Claire,Oct 5 2003, 09:56 PM

Wow, then we could be part of the Illuminati.  ;)

Seriously, though, enlightenment is part of it[...]

Empowerment would be a wonderful word if it hadn't been taken over by the PC gang.

How about "amorced?"  That's borrowed, I think, from the late H. Beam Piper; in one of his yarns, a character refers to a generator failure as being "disamorced," from the old Rosicrucians "Light and power of the world/AMORC" ads; so to be amorced is to be enlightened and empowered.
     <sigh>  It's gonna be a geeky day for me, I can tell already.

Scarmig, you had better be taking your daughter to the range!  One of my father's better traits, he made sure all his offspring were familiar with his guns; there is no better aid learning basic safety than shooting holes in a few useless things.  Talk is cheap, examples are priceless.

--Herself

Scarmiglione'

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2003, 08:01:21 am »

Well, I have to admit Herself.  I have yet to take my daughter shooting.  Call me radical, but I'm somewhat of the mind that she should be walking first.  ;)

But seriously, I'm well aware that people who already believe in guns take their kids shooting.  In my mind, I see "Take your daughter shooting day" to have the same effect that "Take your daughter to work day" has in that there were already people interested in their daughter's development and took them to work with them but formalizing it onto a specific day made many other parents aware of the need and opportunity to provide this aspect of education for thier children.  In my eye I see Take Your Daughter Shooting Day as a wake-up call to parents that self-defense begins as a child.  Formalizing it would encourage not just the participation of women, but the embrace of children by a gun culture that is slowly losing the youth participation.  I know that the NRA still sponsors youths to shoot, but I see fewer and fewer kids around the local gun ranges than ever.  In fact, i can't remember the last time I saw a child under 17 at a range.

I think the original idea of "girlfriends" is good, but doesn't strike deep enough into the problem.
We've built a world safe for fools, and are overrun by them.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up