The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SOS Surveillance of Surveillance  (Read 3616 times)

unstructuredreality

SOS Surveillance of Surveillance
« on: May 20, 2004, 03:47:06 pm »

http://privacy.cs.cmu.edu/dataprivacy/proj.../sos/index.html

http://privacy.cs.cmu.edu/dataprivacy/proj...ects/index.html

In its infancy but growing, good resource for the study of data surveillance and surveillance proliferation.

Good Day

rockchucker

• ... death awaits you all with nasty pointy teeth!
    • FreedomSight
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 08:14:55 pm »

Interesting site. Thanks for the link.

You keep pitching 'em, I'll keep blogging 'em. :D  
... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Put a little birdhouse in your soul. -- TMBG

FreedomSight

unstructuredreality

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 10:03:56 pm »

You bet Rockchucker!  

If you haven't explored the ssn watch, it holds some promise for study and will continue to grow.
http://privacy.cs.cmu.edu/dataprivacy/proj...atch/index.html

Good Day

unstructuredreality

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 10:25:39 pm »

Not sure if I've thrown this one into the mix:

http://www.surveillance-and-society.org/

Nicely researched articles and links, updated roughly with the seasons.

rockchucker

• FreedomSight
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 12:08:59 am »

I'm always happy to encounter an article containing the term "flaneuring". :P

The CM SSN tool is somewhat interesting. Imagine requiring an SSN as a means to combat identity theft. OTOH, I'm sure we'll see expanded usage of exactly this sort of tool to detect fake SSNs on the part of those who ask for SSNs as ID -- in fact, I've been suspecting for quite a while that SSN validation software would become more widespread. It wouldn't be that difficult to write. I ought, at this point, to rant a bit about SSN mis-usage, but I'm not feeling that ambitious just now.

I'd seen the Surveillance and Society site before. Not sure why I haven't kept up with it. I guess that I already read enough of this sort of stuff that adding more into the mix didn't seem worth the trouble of dealing with PDFs. (Not that it's really that much trouble, but they take more bandwidth than plain HTML, and I'm still stuck with dialup.) They do have a nice collection of links, though.

My usual source, Privacy Digest seems to be slowing down.

FreedomSight

unstructuredreality

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2004, 12:19:49 am »

I have a good source for a great ssn verifier software prog if you're interested, I'll pull it out off the dusty shelves.  It's pretty current.  If you're interested, let me know, I'll look into updates.
And yes indeed, at banks and dmv's establishing real time ssn/dob info is goal number one throughout the country.  Many employers in the not too distant future will have limited access to the real time data as well- mainly security fields for now- a simple credit check will be a thing of the past.  It really was a monster they unleashed it on us back in the depression and to try and solve it with biometrics will prove equally disasterous.

Privacy Digest has slowed down quite a bit. Church of the Swimming Elephant is an excellent everyday news source and you can contribute.  Every once in a while you will find a gem over on  http://www.privacyactivism.org/ but like many, updates are infrequent.  

Peace and Good Day
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 12:29:07 am by unstructuredreality »

rockchucker

• FreedomSight
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2004, 12:53:58 am »

I have a good source for a great ssn verifier software prog if you're interested, I'll pull it out off the dusty shelves.  It's pretty current.  If you're interested, let me know, I'll look into updates.
And yes indeed, at banks and dmv's establishing real time ssn/dob info is goal number one throughout the country.  Many employers in the not too distant future will have limited access to the real time data as well- mainly security fields for now- a simple credit check will be a thing of the past.  It really was a monster they unleashed it on us back in the depression and to try and solve it with biometrics will prove equally disasterous.

Privacy Digest has slowed down quite a bit. Church of the Swimming Elephant is an excellent everyday news source and you can contribute.  Every once in a while you will find a gem over on  http://www.privacyactivism.org/ but like many, updates are infrequent.  

Peace and Good Day
Thanks for the offer, but I hope I never have need of an SSN verifier.

COSTE certainly looks interesting. Yet another link in my overflowing pile of bookmarks. :D Privacy Activism looks worth checking periodically as well.

And yeah, what with ChoicePoint, MatchLogic, Experian, et. al., and ever-increasing available bandwidth and search capability, more and more business and govt. offices will be trying to do "instant" ID verification. I'm reminded of the Cardassian Empire (STDS9), where the state collects a lock of hair, and a molar, from every citizen when they reach the age of majority.

Actually, considering the body scanning technology currently available, it won't be that much longer until we have a "whole body" biometric ID.

FreedomSight
Pages: [1]   Go Up