The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Cops set up FSU student as informant, gets her killed  (Read 15118 times)

NuclearDruid

Cops set up FSU student as informant, gets her killed
« on: May 14, 2008, 08:33:21 am »

Another Innocent Victim of the Drug War

But in their zealotry to get a good bust, perhaps these cops missed one crucial point - whatare the dealers going to think when their four ounce (about $1200) hippie chick suddenly upgrades to a $10,000 order than includes a gun?

I can tell you what they think - there's a rat in the house. The two men - Deneilo Bradshaw, 22, and Andrea J. Green, 25 - somehow diverted the young girl from the meetup spot that the police had staked out, andnow she is dead.

Now, nobody, knows why she went to the new spot, but police were pretty quick to blame the inexperienced impromptu undercover narc for not following procedure. If I had to guess, I'd say she was probably afraid she'd still be on the hook for her "crime" if the deal went south.

Oops! So sorry Mrs. Hoffman that your daughter is dead, but she shouldn't have been rolling doobies anyway. :police: Yet one more reason to shut up and lawyer up no matter how minor an infraction is.

ND
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

lunchbox

Re: Cops set up FSU student as informant, gets her killed
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 12:44:31 pm »

There is a saying on the streets that a lot of "thugs" live by.

Snitches get stitches.

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.
-George Orwell

NuclearDruid

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 09:19:50 am »

Grand jury selected in the case.

Grand jury selection handled in private

The media and members of a defendant's family were not allowed to attend interviews of potential grand jurors Wednesday.

This grand jury is expected to hear evidence in the Rachel Hoffman case. Hoffman, 23, was killed last month while working as an informant for Tallahassee police. The case attracted national attention.

....meanwhile, DA is implying that Ubermensch lied to get Miss Hoffman's coooperation in the set-up.

Grand Jury To Probe Controversial Death of Police Informant

The police have said they offered Hoffman a deal: if she worked as a confidential informant, the state attorney would "decide how to balance your assistance with your crime."

But State Attorney Willie Meggs has said his office was not informed of the deal, and it was inappropriate for police to offer such an arrangement without a prosecuting attorney involved.

No doubt these upstanding professionals will be let off with a reprimand.

ND
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 09:24:44 am by NuclearDruid »
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

dogsledder54

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 09:30:05 am »

Never trust a cop.

NuclearDruid

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 05:55:00 pm »

Hoffman parents suing Tallahassee

A lawsuit filed by the family's attorney Tuesday in Leon Circuit Court lays out 17 charges of negligence by the Tallahassee Police Department in its recruitment and handling of Hoffman. She was a novice informant sent out alone by officers in May with $13,000 to buy cocaine, Ecstasy and a handgun from two suspected drug dealers.

"Three words come to mind: Keystone Cop tragedy," said family attorney Lance Block. "It is mind-boggling that there were so many acts of incompetence by the TPD, combined with a cavalier lack of appreciation for the high risk of danger that its officers were exposing Rachel Hoffman to."

City Attorney Jim English said that mediation remains the preferred course.

"That can proceed regardless of the litigation," he said. "We'd clearly like to settle it if we can do it in a fair and equitable manner."

As a father and grandfather, English said he sympathizes with Hoffman's family.

But, he said: "We have to remember, the citizens of Tallahassee and the officers didn't kill Rachel Hoffman."

We led a lamb to slaughter, staked her to the ground, but it was the wolves that killed her!!!!!! :police:

ND

NuclearDruid

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 01:13:16 pm »

Internal Affairs report gets cop fired, Chief re-hires.

Pender to return to job at Tallahassee Police Dept.

Paul Villeneuve, Pender's attorney, said his client has had a difficult time since Hoffman's death.

"He feels like he has been accused of being responsible for things he was not responsible for," Villeneuve said. "And ultimately, an arbitrator agreed with him."

Lance Block, an attorney representing Hoffman's family, said the decision to reinstate Pender was not surprising.

"You have to just shake your head about this and have faith that someday, justice for the death of Rachel Hoffman will come," Block said in a written statement. "Despite the fact that the TPD's official Internal Affairs investigation concluded that Ryan Pender and his colleagues violated almost 100 policies and procedures in causing the death of Rachel Hoffman, they are all back at work as if it never happened. The only way the TPD will ever be held accountable for its role in the wrongful death of Rachel is through the civil case."

ND

socalserf

• Blue collar knucklehead
  • Riflemen are made not born.
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 06:56:57 pm »

We always make black humor jokes about cops murdering people and getting away with it because, "they didn't violate policies and procedures".
In this case they violated over 100 P&P's? And it's still not a problem? WTF!!!

WTF!!!
"Freedom's the answer. What's the question?"
~Author unknown to me

Who...me?

• Moderator Group
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 08:16:58 pm »

Internal Affairs report gets cop fired, Chief re-hires.

And they wonder why there are people who think it is a reasonable response to shoot cops...
"If you are in a fair fight, Your tactics suck"

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind whose ideas are idiotic." - H. L. Mencken

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 10:32:20 pm »

We always make black humor jokes about cops murdering people and getting away with it because, "they didn't violate policies and procedures".
In this case they violated over 100 P&P's? And it's still not a problem? WTF!!!

WTF!!!

That's "We're the Feds". Thanks for posting. Nothing to see. Move along. (sarc)
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

El Topo

• Senior Agitator
  • #1 Ignored User
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 05:46:17 pm »

If people could see that weed is really nothing to get all up in a fuss about and LEGALIZE it stupid, pointless crap like this would never happen. Its so sad that to legalize it (like they are considering here in CA) the gubmint has to have their hand so far in the cookie jar that people like me who would (normally) support such an initiative are completely turned off from it. They used a naive young woman who was probably just trying to save her college education and her future, and got her killed for nothing other than she smoked and sold some weed. They gave her an ultimatum: cooperate of kiss your life goodbye. The cops got off easy, there were no consequences for them.

Its stories like this that reassert my deep belief that a serious collapse is the best thing for our nation. We need to start over.
The future belongs to those who prepare for it. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

NuclearDruid

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 01:13:27 pm »

Lethal Sting: How the War on Drugs Killed a College Student

Update on the idiotic need to pass a law that LEOs and Co-Eds do not mix.

ND

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 09:57:05 am »

Slain informant receives 'justice,' father says  :  http://www2.tbo.com/news/news/2012/mar/08/slain-informant-receives-justice-ar-366859/

Rachel Morningstar Hoffman, a recent Florida State University graduate, was shot to death by two men with long rap sheets in a botched drug sting in May 2008.

The city of Tallahassee and Hoffman's parents settled a lawsuit in January; the approval of the Legislature was required before the city could disburse the sum from its liability fund.

"The city can't buy us back our daughter," said Weiss, a massage therapist, on Wednesday. "But I plan to use the money for the Rachel Morningstar Foundation to help other informants, and to try to strengthen and nationalize Rachel's Law."

Rachel's Law, passed in 2009, says law enforcement officers can't promise an informant a reduced sentence in exchange for undercover work, and allows an informant to consult with a lawyer if one is requested.

“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

LdMorgan

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 09:57:12 am »

Never forget that when the Feds (or any cop) ask you to do them a favor, no matter how small or innocent it may seem, they are not asking you to do it for your benefit, and they care absolutely nothing at all about what granting that favor may cost you.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 10:20:53 am »

Never forget that when the Feds (or any cop) ask you to do them a favor, no matter how small or innocent it may seem, they are not asking you to do it for your benefit, and they care absolutely nothing at all about what granting that favor may cost you.

That goes for anyone at any level of "authority."   Those who do..., well, there will always be a few.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

OLD TIRED RN

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 10:43:22 pm »

Just another young college kid who didn't know what she was doing. Got in way over her head. Used by the cops to get another collar.  They didn't care that she got killed and will never now get a chance to live out her life.  Just used by troll thug cops for their careers. Remember that lurkers. Shut up and lawyer up.

RN
When freedom fails, the best men rot in filthy jails, and they who cry APEASE APEASE are hanged by those who they tried to please.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up