The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Dog/Freeway Article very good  (Read 14955 times)

Tribeless

• http://
Dog/Freeway Article very good
« on: October 06, 2003, 07:49:26 pm »

Hi Claire

This is my first post to your forum. I've been following your blog for a couple of months now and enjoying it very much - I think I came to it through SOLO (sense of life objectivists), but that is not really all that important.

As one of those crusty people who often prefers animals to humans :) I just wanted to thank you for your blog some weeks ago now regarding the dogs on the freeways. It was very well written, and very touching. Actually, it was a very powerful piece; I still have the images you created in my mind, and not just a little bit of the anger.

Cheers

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2003, 08:33:56 pm »

As one of those crusty people who often prefers animals to humans :) I just wanted to thank you for your blog some weeks ago now regarding the dogs on the freeways. It was very well written, and very touching. Actually, it was a very powerful piece; I still have the images you created in my mind, and not just a little bit of the anger.

Hello, Tribeless. Good to have you here. And thanks for giving a damn. You know, sometimes I hesitate about putting posts like that one on the blog ... not political, very personal. I worry people might only want news & Attitude. So it means a lot when someone responds.

I, too, can't get those images out of my mind, especially the yellow lab trotting down the road one minute and ... um, let's not go there. It happened just the night before I wrote, and I still ache over not being able to think of a safe way to save the poor old guy.

On a more cheerful subject: I'll have to check out SOLO. I'm not acquainted with it, so thanks for the pointer.

Claire

P.S. Crusty is good.  :)  
« Last Edit: October 06, 2003, 08:34:29 pm by Claire »
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Carl

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2003, 10:26:17 pm »

As one of those crusty people who often prefers animals to humans :)

Well, it depends on the critter. But I usually like animals better too. Especially cats.

Breaded and deep fried.

Jac

• CPC? I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you...
    • http://www.russmo.com
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2003, 12:06:47 am »

Especially cats. Breaded and deep fried.
Carl! Don't you know you're not supposed to give your dogs fried food?!? :P  
I have never regretted that I chose to "take the red pill." But there are days, just rarely, when the truth is so ugly, so brutal, so unmerciful, so relentless, that even if I wouldn't rip the truth from the wall socket and hurl it out the window to crash on the sidewalk below, I wouldn't mind if it featured a snooze button so we could savor just a few more moments in slumbered pretension and warm, fuzzy lies pulled snugly up over our heads.
--PSM

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2003, 12:25:54 am »

Carl's dogs ARE fried food. Or launched into orbit.  
from an undisclosed secure location far, far outside Ohio

Hunter's Seventieth Rule: The Internet needs a "three strikes and you're out" rule. Of the gene pool, I mean.

Carl

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2003, 12:27:04 am »

Carl! Don't you know you're not supposed to give your dogs fried food?!? :P
You're kiddin', right?

Let the canines fry their own damned kitties.

Carl

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2003, 12:28:43 am »

Carl's dogs ARE fried food. Or launched into orbit.
I've only had roasted dog.

And I only put smores in orbit.

So far.

Jac

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2003, 06:10:43 pm »

Carl's dogs ARE fried food.
"101 ways to wok you're dog. -- An Indonesian cookbook."
I have never regretted that I chose to "take the red pill." But there are days, just rarely, when the truth is so ugly, so brutal, so unmerciful, so relentless, that even if I wouldn't rip the truth from the wall socket and hurl it out the window to crash on the sidewalk below, I wouldn't mind if it featured a snooze button so we could savor just a few more moments in slumbered pretension and warm, fuzzy lies pulled snugly up over our heads.
--PSM

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2003, 06:39:41 pm »

Er, ahem, guys. There are some serious dog lovers here. I mean of the type who don't like 'em roasted or toasted or barbecued or basted. Of the kind who cry at the thought of a dead puppy. The kind who rescue abused dogs and vanish them into the doggie underground. The kind who leave everything they own in trust for their pets. I'm talking serious, serious heartbreaking love -- which is the thing that inspired this thread.

Now cats, you can say anything you want about cats. But if any of you feel the slightest bit of respect for me -- you know, the woman whose name is all scripty and important looking up there at the top of your browser, the wonderful, kind person some of you actually know and love, the woman whose five enourmous dogs crawl lickingly into her bed each morning -- will you kindly, kindly please, take the dog-munching talk elsewhere?

And if you won't do it for me, do it for Robbie. The pit bull. With the very bad temper. Whom I may bring to next year's LRT conclave, where I know several of you worst offenders are planning to be. Robbie, I assure you, really, really, really doesn't approve of this sort of conversation.
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

Jac

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2003, 06:54:37 pm »

Er, ahem, guys. There are some serious dog lovers here. I mean of the type who don't like 'em roasted or toasted or barbecued or basted. Of the kind who cry at the thought of a dead puppy. The kind who rescue abused dogs and vanish them into the doggie underground. The kind who leave everything they own in trust for their pets. I'm talking serious, serious heartbreaking love -- which is the thing that inspired this thread.
Actually, I am that kind of dog lover. Honestly, my dogs _are_ my friends.

Now cats, you can say anything you want about cats.
Absolutely! Don't like cats.

But if any of you feel the slightest bit of respect for me -- you know, the woman whose name is all scripty and important looking up there at the top of your browser, the wonderful, kind person some of you actually know and love, the woman whose five enourmous dogs crawl lickingly into her bed each morning -- will you kindly, kindly please, take the dog-munching talk elsewhere?
I'm sorry. Please forgive me. :unsure:

And if you won't do it for me, do it for Robbie. The pit bull. With the very bad temper. Whom I may bring to next year's LRT conclave, where I know several of you worst offenders are planning to be. Robbie, I assure you, really, really, really doesn't approve of this sort of conversation.
Robbie sounds cool! If I can get to the conclave, I'd like to meet Robbie. :)

(Oh, yeah... THEY STARTED IT!)
--PSM

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2003, 08:43:00 pm »

I'm sorry. Please forgive me. :unsure:

Awwww, don't worry, Jac. It's not like I actually expect anybody to pay any attention. I just thought I'd play the whine card on the off chance it might work.  :rolleyes:

(Oh, yeah... THEY STARTED IT!)

That's the spirit! Hunter ... Carl, you're a BAAAAAAD influence.

(And no doubt you're proud of the fact.)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2003, 08:43:38 pm by Claire »

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2003, 09:31:35 pm »

Quite.  :ph34r:  

Hunter's Seventieth Rule: The Internet needs a "three strikes and you're out" rule. Of the gene pool, I mean.

Tribeless

• http://
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2003, 09:57:47 pm »

One of the good things I find about freedom loving people (as diametrically opposed to freedom hating lefties, generalisations aside :)) is that they, as I do, tend to have broad shoulders and very good senses of humour (although perhaps not all objectivists fall into that category ...)  I suspect that this is because freedom lovers normally recogise the existence of an objective reality, and thus know the difference between fictional levity (above), and the stark reality of those shits with their trucks/dogs on your freeways.

Thus I don't mind the dog eating jokes :) But our great dane would rather like some time with some of those gentlemen in their trucks :)

Actually, the subject of animals is one that I often run aground on in objectivist circles (as in on the rocks). Many objectivists seemed to have inferred from the dictim that animals are below us on the intellectual chain as meaning that they have no rights over humans, therefore, treat them as you want. I can't agree with that on any level: yes, if it comes down to survival between an animal and a human, I grudgingly suppose the human should take precedence (although I would demand the right to see who the human was before making the final decision :)), however, such a cruel attitude (because cruelty is how such an attitude always ends up), completely ignores the fact that animals have nervous systems and feel pain, and fear. Also, I know there are numerous studies evidencing a link between humans who have been monstrous to other humans as having their grounding in cruelty to animals.

I always feel safer with the animal lovers .

Although nothing in the above should be read to infer that I am an anti-GE luddite. But that would be another discussion.

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2003, 10:24:13 pm »

To be completely serious for a moment, any two-legged creature that would mistreat an animal is not a human - it is a large, cruel insect that should be stamped on as quickly as possible. How exactly to reconcile that opinion with the ZAP I have never bothered figuring out. Claire knows a little about my cats, what I haven't told her is that I *love* dogs, specifically german sheperds - but my lifestyle would quickly render a dog insane, and I won't do that to one. I pretty regularly joke about skinning my cats and making throw rugs out of them; they have never seemed very worried. I could tell some stories about Carl and animals that DON'T involve a stewpot or a frying pan, but I won't embarass him. <grin>  

Carl

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2003, 10:42:17 pm »

Carl, you're a BAAAAAAD influence.

{ proud smile }

And if it does worry you, check out my short piece about how pissed I got when I thought I was going to have to kill a dog:

http://www.gbronline.com/cwb/samizdat/dog.html

And I can give most of the cats in the neighborhood as references; Blossom and Buster know a sucker when they see one. :)  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up