The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Dog/Freeway Article very good  (Read 16338 times)

Scarmiglione'

Dog/Freeway Article very good
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2003, 01:42:46 pm »

Dog stories.

My wife one day decides, "We're getting a dog."

I'm not up for a dog at this point, I'm still trying to get used to being married and having to share living space with someone.  I compromise that we will go and *look* at dogs, but we aren't taking one home because we don't have the fence repaired/money in the budget/time to train/etc.

So we are at the rescue and I like this older, sedate female German Shepherd.  She'd been abused, but she needed a home for her remaining years.  But my wife goes straight for this young golden...  thing.  Matted hair and stickers and mud and bouncing in his cage like a crazy puppy.

So the predictable result happens.

"I want the golden."

"Okay, but he's your dog.  You pay for him.  You feed him.  You get his shots.  You clean up the dog shit out of *my* back yard.  I'm not doing it. (Famous last words)"

So we go home with this golden.  I take him home and show him around, and he's very subdued.  New place, new male, very apprehensive.  I stay home with him while my wife goes to the pet store to buy all the stuff a dog needs.  We just sit next to each other, the dog and I, not really looking at each other at all.

Fast forward a bit.  My wife has mostly kept up her part of the deal, except for cleaning the dog shit out of *my* back yard.  He housebreaks easily.  Was well-behaved through the night after the first couple of weeks.  He responds to my training some, but it was just obligation for both of us.  He stayed outside during the day and inside at night.

One day I came home and opened the back door to let him in.  But he wasn't there.  Odd.  I walked out onto our deck and called his name.  I heard a muffled wimper and a cry.  I called his name again and heard him crying again, but I couldn't tell where it was coming from.  It was somewhere very close, but I couldn't see him.  Finally a grab a flashlight and get to see the entire story.

See, this dog is a retriever.  But somehow he got a double-dose of the retriever instinct.  He will chase a ball 24/7, or until his heart explodes.  No joke.  Always carrying a ball, always chasing it, always begging someone to throw it for him to fetch.  Apparantly he was playing with it out in the yard and bumped it under our deck.  Well he stuck his head in after it, and bumped it further under the deck.  So he twisted sideways and stuck his shoulders under the deck, and bumped it again.  (Can you see where this is going?  He didn't.)  Lather, Rinse, Repeat.  By the time I got home, after how many hours I have no idea, he was firmly wedged a full 5 feet from where he had first gone under the deck, with his ball in his mouth and completely panicked and terrified that he couldn't get out.   I took a crowbar and had to tear up the steps to my deck, lay on my belly and drag him out by his front paws.

Long story short it was our bonding moment and we became good friends after that.  We've had some rough spots since the baby was born, but he's taken them in stride.

This is him lying next to my daughter.

We've built a world safe for fools, and are overrun by them.

Augustwest

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2003, 01:48:45 pm »

Buncha fancy people with your purebred dogs ;)  
\"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.\"  - Capt. Reynolds

Scarmiglione'

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2003, 01:51:51 pm »

My dog ain't purebred.  He's prettier (and poncier) than that!
We've built a world safe for fools, and are overrun by them.

Augustwest

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2003, 02:01:57 pm »

You can stay then...  :D  
\"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.\"  - Capt. Reynolds

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2003, 02:07:01 pm »

Buncha fancy people with your purebred dogs ;)
All of my dogs are purebreds. Only problem is, there's at least 15 identifiable "purebreds" and only five dogs to divide all those breeds among.

(Actually, one IS a purebred. I got her from Debra. See what I mean about not hanging out with Debra if you aren't supposed to have a dog?)
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Augustwest

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2003, 02:21:27 pm »

All of my dogs are purebreds. Only problem is, there's at least 15 identifiable "purebreds" and only five dogs to divide all those breeds among.

LOL. Ok, everyone might as well stay then.

Coolest dog (other than any I've had, of course) I've ever known was Samson - a Doberman who still had his ears and tail.

Tribeless

• http://
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2003, 02:38:59 pm »

And you must have a sense of humor because no one could watch a Dane sit on a couch with its front feet on the floor and not laugh.
Or setting her bottom down on what she thought was a couch, but was actually a tax inspector sitting on her couch, then eyeballing same most indignantly while pinning him there and definitely not moving :)

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2003, 02:41:02 pm »

And you must have a sense of humor because no one could watch a Dane sit on a couch with its front feet on the floor and not laugh.
Or setting her bottom down on what she thought was a couch, but was actually a tax inspector sitting on her couch, then eyeballing same most indignantly while pinning him there and definitely not moving :)
A tax inspector? Oh, my. You'd better have a sense of humor AND bail money!
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Augustwest

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2003, 04:32:45 pm »

...even though they're below me in intellect...

I felt the same way until a few minutes ago, when I got home and the Red Menace ran up and greet me before I was even outta the Jeep.  :D

Thought I had a pretty good solution to her escape hatch. Back to the drawing board...

debra

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2003, 04:58:33 pm »

I felt the same way until a few minutes ago, when I got home and the Red Menace ran up and greet me before I was even outta the Jeep.  :D

Thought I had a pretty good solution to her escape hatch. Back to the drawing board...
Another Jeeper.  Cool.  B)  

Augustwest

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2003, 06:46:27 am »

::shaking head:: Um, that shoulda been "greeted me."

Jeeps are a very good thing  :)

With a goodly amount of wire, and some oak logs in place, I believe the red dog will greet me from inside the house this evening.

'course that's what I was thinking yesterday at this time, so...

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2003, 07:04:34 am »

Where'd ya leave your chainsaw?   :blink:  
from an undisclosed secure location far, far outside Ohio

Hunter's Seventieth Rule: The Internet needs a "three strikes and you're out" rule. Of the gene pool, I mean.

Augustwest

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2003, 07:46:39 am »

Outta reach of my wiley mutts, for sure. Same goes for the shovels.  :)  

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2003, 08:08:53 am »

Good man! <laugh> I will be quite interested to see how they make good their escape this time. <twinkle>  
from an undisclosed secure location far, far outside Ohio

Hunter's Seventieth Rule: The Internet needs a "three strikes and you're out" rule. Of the gene pool, I mean.

Augustwest

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2003, 08:20:35 am »

Aw hell, I think I left a come-along and a good-sized length of chain out in the kitchen this morning.

Gotta run...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up