The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Dog/Freeway Article very good  (Read 16506 times)

Carl

Dog/Freeway Article very good
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2003, 10:53:24 pm »

I could tell some stories about Carl and animals that DON'T involve a stewpot or a frying pan, but I won't embarass him. <grin>
No. Really. That was... my _sister_.

No! I mean... My sister's_dog_. Errrr, _cat_ Ummm... gerbil!
 :P  

suijurisfreeman

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2003, 06:25:47 am »

To be completely serious for a moment, any two-legged creature that would mistreat an animal is not a human - it is a large, cruel insect that should be stamped on as quickly as possible. How exactly to reconcile that opinion with the ZAP I have never bothered figuring out. Claire knows a little about my cats, what I haven't told her is that I *love* dogs, specifically german sheperds - but my lifestyle would quickly render a dog insane, and I won't do that to one. I pretty regularly joke about skinning my cats and making throw rugs out of them; they have never seemed very worried. I could tell some stories about Carl and animals that DON'T involve a stewpot or a frying pan, but I won't embarass him. <grin
I'll have to admit, I'm partial to felines, but that's only because I ran a "cathouse" for 27 years!  Yes I said CATHOUSE!  Now you can get your minds out of the gutter and come down here with mine, actually I owned and operated a business that I started in 1974 wherein I designed, manufactured and delivered custom built indoor carpeted cat furniture to pet shops throughout the midwest.  Purr-fect Cat Creations - my motto was "We're fur cats only!"  Anyway it was a pretty cool way to support myself and family for 27 years allowing me a great deal of freedom to pursue my real interests.  I've got two jet black felines that hang out on my 20 acres in southcentral Kentucky, Midnight and Smokie.  
But then there's Zesus, a black and silver German shephard that calls the 20 acres home also.  He's a free dog, a Canine Liber, just like I'm a Freeman, Homo Liber.  Last Thursday I was in the Sheriff's Office and noticed a sign on the wall stating that all dogs over 6 months of age are "required" to be licensed, Zesus and I had a good laugh about that one!  Zesus just smiled and said, "You know it's one thing for Humans to try and enslave other Humans, but no Human is gonna tell me that I need a license!  Pretty damn independent dog that Zesus!
Come to think of it, Zesus's teeth were showing when I thought he was smiling, maybe that wasn't a smile after all!  Zesus has large, strong teeth inside that big mouth, his chew toy is a 15 pound block of firewood (white oak at that!) - good doggie!  A couple of years back a neighbor brought his "preacher" over with him to my property, I was coming up the hill and saw this guy running like hell for his car - it musta been the sight of Zesus a couple hundred feet in front of me!  I think after he left a little "drawer" cleaning was necessary when he got home!

If anyone is interested, you can see where Midnight, Smokie, Zesus and I hang out in southcentral Kentucky at:  http://www.angelfire.com/rebellion2/suijurisfreeman
Yes it really is a cardboard yurt, it only cost $1,200 to construct!  It's still standing 4 years later, just as warm and dry as the day we errected it back in November of 1999.  I'm not hooked up to any public utilities, heat and cook with wood.  It's pretty primitive by most people's standards, but it's home sweet home for me!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2003, 07:55:41 am by suijurisfreeman »

Augustwest

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2003, 08:01:32 am »

How exactly to reconcile that opinion with the ZAP

If yer me, it's not a stretch to to extend the "human being" part of the ZAP to critters as well.

Ergo, them that mistreat animals are initiating force, and are fair game for "stamping."

'Course the state doesn't share my viewpoint...
\"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.\"  - Capt. Reynolds

Augustwest

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2003, 08:03:25 am »

Oh, and it was a fine and infuriating piece in the 'blog.

I move we elect Claire chairwoman for life! ::grin::
« Last Edit: October 08, 2003, 09:32:24 am by Augustwest »
\"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.\"  - Capt. Reynolds

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2003, 08:45:04 am »

Augustwest, how COULD you do something like that to poor Claire?

Hunter's Hundred Eighty-Sixth Rule: If you look back and there's folks behind you, you're either a leader or about to get mugged. Not that there's much difference.
from an undisclosed secure location far, far outside Ohio

Hunter's Seventieth Rule: The Internet needs a "three strikes and you're out" rule. Of the gene pool, I mean.

Augustwest

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2003, 08:53:13 am »

milelongmeanstreak?

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2003, 09:46:53 am »

Oh, well, that's not so bad then.  :D  

Hunter's Seventieth Rule: The Internet needs a "three strikes and you're out" rule. Of the gene pool, I mean.

debra

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2003, 10:28:40 am »

Claire knows a little about my cats, what I haven't told her is that I *love* dogs, specifically german sheperds
Ah, Hunter. I knew you were a man of refined and discerning taste.  I shall take advantage of this opportunity to show off pictures of my precious:

debra

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2003, 10:33:09 am »

But if any of you feel the slightest bit of respect for me -- you know, the woman whose name is all scripty and important looking up there at the top of your browser,
And so it begins - power doth corrupt <shakes head sadly>

And if you won't do it for me, do it for Robbie. The pit bull. With the very bad temper. Whom I may bring to next year's LRT conclave, where I know several of you worst offenders are planning to be. Robbie, I assure you, really, really, really doesn't approve of this sort of conversation.

Hee hee hee. I love Robbie.  He's so snuggly. Except when he's trying to eat my beloved Kirby....

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2003, 11:02:38 am »

Debra, that is one FINE sheperd. <sigh> I need to get a life so I can get one. I really miss having a dog.

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2003, 11:24:50 am »

But if any of you feel the slightest bit of respect for me -- you know, the woman whose name is all scripty and important looking up there at the top of your browser,
And so it begins - power doth corrupt <shakes head sadly>

You may be right about the corrupting part. But somehow, even if I wanted it, I don't think this crowd is going to let me have any actual power. (All for the best, that.)

And if you won't do it for me, do it for Robbie. The pit bull. With the very bad temper. Whom I may bring to next year's LRT conclave, where I know several of you worst offenders are planning to be. Robbie, I assure you, really, really, really doesn't approve of this sort of conversation.

Hee hee hee. I love Robbie.  He's so snuggly. Except when he's trying to eat my beloved Kirby....

Yeah ... I don't think these jokers really believed me when I threatened to bring a bad-tempered pit bull to the next LRT conclave. But Debra knows. Robbie: The Scourge of All Dogdom. He may not be all pit bull, but he's all pit bull in attitude. And every dog that gets within 100 yards of him knows -- and fears. (So Debra, *please* don't tell anybody that, when it comes to humans, the worst Robbie would do is lick them until they're pruney. I'm trying to instill some respect in these rowdies.)
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2003, 11:31:16 am »

Debra, that is one FINE sheperd. <sigh> I need to get a life so I can get one. I really miss having a dog.
Anybody: If you can't have a dog, for any reason, DO NOT hang out with Debra! DO NOT accept any invitation from her to go hiking or four-wheeling in the desert. Do not even KNOW her. Avoid this woman!

(So, Debra, are you going to tell how you acquired Kirby? And Copper?)
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

debra

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2003, 12:04:37 pm »

Anybody: If you can't have a dog, for any reason, DO NOT hang out with Debra! DO NOT accept any invitation from her to go hiking or four-wheeling in the desert. Do not even KNOW her. Avoid this woman!

(So, Debra, are you going to tell how you acquired Kirby? And Copper?)
Well, since you insist <leans back in a rocking chair, lighting her pipe...no, not THAT kind of pipe!>

It all began back in Ought Two.  It was a beautiful spring day, and we were out 4-wheelin' in the mountains surrounding the Las Vegas valley. It was me, my husband, our two kids, and our 100 lb Golden Retriever in our doorless, topless jeep (well, of COURSE the doors and top were off!)

We pulled down a little dirt road and stopped to switch over into 4WD when my daughter asked, "What's that?" and pointed toward a yucca tree. We saw a little movement, and suddenly two tiny German Shepherd pups (perhaps 4 weeks old) came bounding up to the jeep.  Two more had remained underneath the yucca.  

Naturally we all started cooing, but my husband wouldn't let us get out until he scoped out for a possibly feral momma. No tracks, no scat - they were by themselves.  We put out water for them (which we had brought for the golden), and three of them drank eagerly (though we initially had to coax one of the ones who had been under the yucca). But the fourth remained under the yucca tree, refusing to move. We tried to get it to drink, but it just looked at us with flat, dead eyes, and then looked away.  When we picked him up, we could feel something jutting out from his side - a rib, most likely.

Well, we couldn't just leave them there.  So each child was given one of the two lethargic ones, and I had the two frisky ones in my lap up front, whom I kept trying to stuff into an insulated tote bag to keep them from jumping out of the jeep.  

Upon arrival home, we ran to the vet with the injured pup. Closed. Off to Petsmart, where they had a vet. The vet was closed, but one of the trainers there had an emergency number. She held the puppy and went to call...and returned a few minutes later. The pup had died in her arms.  After the three of us bawled like idiots for 10 minutes, we went home to our remaining three (the trainer was going to take the pup's body to the vet).  

Took them to the vet the next day, and they weighed between 5 and 7 lbs each.  We found homes for all three (whom we named Random, Chance, and Chaos), which was good because we adored them. Especially the frisky duo, Random & Chance, who did everything in tandem, like little furry Marines.  After one week, Chaos came back - seems that after he was fed for a few days, he perked up and began driving their cat insane.  I had fallen in love with him before he left, so when he came back, I figured it was destiny. He's been my baby ever since (although we did rechristen him Kirby by my son's request. Chaos is more fitting, however). At 88lbs, it's hard to believe he was ever so tiny.

Now Copper came to us just this last spring, about a month before the Grand Western Conference. We were offroading in ANOTHER part of the valley when this lone Australian Shepherd (red merle, if anyone's interested) came trotting up to the jeep.  No tags, no chip, and a partial faded tattoo in his ear.  We ran ads in the paper and put signs all over, but no dice.  People in the neighborhood near where we discovered him hadn't seen him before, but indicated that people dumped dogs out there all the time.  I could confirm this since we had found decayed corpses of dogs in the area before.

Now, I had been telling Claire how it was simply impossible for us to have three dogs.  But Copper had other plans.  Kirby's not overly friendly with other dogs, but he and Copper became inseparable within 24 hours.  Within 72 hours, it was as though he had been part of our family for years.  So we kept him, and even brought him - as well as Kirby and Laz-the-giant-golden-retriever - to the GWC with us.  (Copper travels beautifully, btw.  Falls into a coma while the car is moving, and leaps into action when it stops.)

So if anyone needs a dog, just say the word and I'll wander out to the desert and pick one up for ya.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2003, 12:15:22 pm by debra »

Augustwest

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2003, 01:11:14 pm »

Well, since we're talking about dogs coming back to be with us, there's the story of Maisey...

Me an t'other half wanted to get a dog a few years ago. Tried several times to go to the shelter in my town, but they always seemed to be closed. So we went to another place a few towns north of here. Wanted, of course, to take 'em all home. But we were getting ONE dog.

So there's this lab mix there, jumping against his cage, looking happy. A likely choice. Pretty sure he's the one. But to be fair, we check out everyone else, including this small-side-of-medium-sized terrier/whippet cross with wiry red fur. She looks scared and forlorn - had been abused, was very skinny, and covered with tick bite scabs. Pulled at the heartstrings, she did.

But we meet the labish one, and he's it. While I'm filling out paperwork, the director of the shelter asks my wife if she'd like to walk the red dog. "Sure," she says. Goes out for a while, and comes back with an unmistakeable, "I want this one, too" look about her.

So I fill out another set of papers.

Next day, we go and pick up both dogs. Get home, and as I'm letting the red one in the house, she slips her collar, and takes off down the railroad tracks behind us.

I give chase, but any time I get within 100 yards, she takes off again. While we're on the tracks, she's easy to see, but it was autumn, and she's reddish, and decides to run off into the leaves.

We call the dog warden in case anybody finds her. I'm out traipsing through the woods for hours (with my trusty Maglight after a while, 'cause it's fall, and gets dark early.) I go back to the house to take a break, really upset. This poor little dog who came out of the woods and got rescued is lost in the woods again.

We decide to take one more look around before we give up, open the door to go out, and there she is, standing by the door, wagging her tail. ::sniff::

She's been home ever since, mostly. Although, as I mentioned to someone a little while ago, just this morning I figured out how she's been sneaking out once a week or so, and sheepishly greeting me when I get home from work.

So that's the story of Maisey the red dog. Some day she won't be around, and I hate that.

Oh, and Ruben, the lab? He's a good dog. 'cept for a fiendish prey drive. And the fact that once he got done barking, he'd probably lick an intruder to death.

Hate that he won't be around forever too.

But it's worth it...  

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2003, 01:40:21 pm »

One of the good things I find about freedom loving people (as diametrically opposed to freedom hating lefties, generalisations aside :)) is that they, as I do, tend to have broad shoulders and very good senses of humour (although perhaps not all objectivists fall into that category ...) 

Actually, the subject of animals is one that I often run aground on in objectivist circles (as in on the rocks). Many objectivists seemed to have inferred from the dictim that animals are below us on the intellectual chain as meaning that they have no rights over humans, therefore, treat them as you want. I can't agree with that on any level: yes, if it comes down to survival between an animal and a human, I grudgingly suppose the human should take precedence (although I would demand the right to see who the human was before making the final decision :)), however, such a cruel attitude (because cruelty is how such an attitude always ends up), completely ignores the fact that animals have nervous systems and feel pain, and fear. Also, I know there are numerous studies evidencing a link between humans who have been monstrous to other humans as having their grounding in cruelty to animals.

I always feel safer with the animal lovers .

Hey, Tribeless! I checked out Sense of Life Objectivists and thought it was pretty good. I admit to prejudice against Objectivism (in the sense that ex-smokers or ex-religionists are sometimes prejudiced against cigarettes or gods), but SOLO had solid freedom info even us benighted bigots could perceive. Thank you.

I think you're right about a sense of humor (and right that perhaps, just perhaps, not all Objectivists share it  ;) ). I'd go further and say that in general, intelligent people (which, naturally includes all of us  :P ) tend to have stronger senses of humor than less-intelligent.

I agree with you about treatment of animals and thank you for taking that position.

The more I see of my dogs the more I realize that, even though they're below me in intellect (except on my really bad days :rolleyes: ), they're obviously superior to me in various ways, like being able to sense danger or perceive a friend coming at a distance, and in some senses they're superior to me in character; I have nowhere near their capacity for unadulterated love.Even if one argues that their love comes from pack-preservation or whatever ... well, they still have something I find enviable and noble.

LOL, I've seen various studies of dog intelligence & I notice that, to the dog-smarts researcher, "intelligence" is measured almost entirely by how well the dog can obey what a human wants it to do. Thus the uncanny border collie always tops the list, while the lowly bassett, who just sits there with a "so what" gaze of ennui, is somewhere near the bottom.

I consider the possibility that some of dogdoms dummies are smarter than we think, having figured out how to get fed for nothin'.

To close: If you're a great Dane person, you must be one fine human being. God, I love Danes! And you must have a sense of humor because no one could watch a Dane sit on a couch with its front feet on the floor and not laugh.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2003, 01:48:32 pm by Claire »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up