The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dog/Freeway Article very good  (Read 14954 times)

Augustwest

Dog/Freeway Article very good
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2003, 08:31:29 am »

I'd hoped to have a photo of my lil red intellectual rival hosted somewhere by now, but a combination of work, minor natural disasters, procrastination, and figuring out how to prevent my sapper of a mutt from dismantling good, solid chain link fence hasn't afforded the time.

For them that's interested, this link to Yeehaw is a temporary fix.

Red Dog

Doesn't paint the whole picture - it gets the strange part across pretty well, but not the beautiful part. 'Course they're always beautiful to members of their own pack :-)
\"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.\"  - Capt. Reynolds

Josh2923

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2003, 02:48:07 am »

Speaking of animals, was Claire advocating animal rights legislation in her blog entry that mentioned Nat Hentoff?

http://www.clairewolfe.com/wolfesblog/00000294.html
"Hentoff is one of the great voices for freedom (despite not raising his voice in favor of the guardian amendment)."

From what I could find out about guardian amendments through Google, it seems they're the brainchildren of PETA-like animal rights activists:

http://www.akc.org/love/dip/legislat/tcapr01.cfm
IDA and other extreme animal rights groups want to raise the stature of animals to that of human beings, to convince the courts that animals have rights. Part of the extreme animal rights agenda is to do away with animal ownership. Replacing owner with guardian is the first step towards achieving that goal. The guardian promotion is a carefully orchestrated campaign to chip away at ownership.

http://www.massfeddogs.org/nl_archive/mass...dspring2003.pdf
In 2001, Rhode Island became the first and only state to approve the "guardian" concept, an animal rights initiative that denigrates owners and equates owned animals with slaves. Animal rights activists were able to convince Rhode Island legislators that animals "are not our property and we are not their owners." Rather than "owners," activists campaigned,individuals who keep animals should be referred to as "guardians." The AKC and other opponents argued that this was just the first step in a mission to end all animal ownership.

HB5817 brings these concerns to reality, creating several new categories of animal neglect and abuse that will be enforced not just by police and "special humane agents," but also must be reported by a whole series of professionals ranging from school employees to photographers to the media. If any of these “experts” suspect a guardian is not providing adequate care, the animal can be confiscated and guardianship terminated.

In addition, HB5817 prohibits "bodily alterations," a broad category which includes ear cropping, tail docking, dewclaw removal, and debarking.

I'm not drawing any conclusions, since this is all based solely on one offhand mention by CW in a blog post that dealt with an entirely different topic. But I'd be interested in whether she really supports the animal rights agenda that seems to underlie these guardian amendments.

Augustwest

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2003, 08:21:46 am »

[understatement/] I'm pretty certain [/understatement] she was referring to Amendment II.

The 2nd being the one that guards the rights reiterated in other 9 from complete infringement by the government. In theory, at least.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2003, 08:26:06 am by Augustwest »
\"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.\"  - Capt. Reynolds

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2003, 09:10:45 am »

[understatement/] I'm pretty certain [/understatement] she was referring to Amendment II.

I'm pretty sure you're right about that, Augustwest.  B)  
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Josh2923

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2003, 12:55:02 pm »

Ah. Should have known. My bad.  

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2003, 03:12:48 pm »

Ah. Should have known. My bad.
S'okay, Josh2923. You've still got some newbie credits in your account.  :) And that reference on my blog to the guardian amendment wasn't explicit enough for most people outside the gun-rights movement to "get."
« Last Edit: October 11, 2003, 03:13:07 pm by Claire »
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Augustwest

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2003, 03:36:44 pm »

Ah crud. Am I part of a movement now?

Wulfgar

« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2003, 03:43:06 pm »

Ah crud. Am I part of a movement now?
It's OK Augustwest, all the kids are doing it...

Augustwest

« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2003, 09:16:12 am »

It's OK Augustwest, all the kids are doing it...

Well if there's peer pressure involved, count me in. Don't wanna be shunned  :D

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up