The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: movie guilty pleasures  (Read 5451 times)

Lisa Aenne

movie guilty pleasures
« on: June 07, 2008, 01:36:59 pm »

Sometimes I get way too serious and stressed out. A fun, silly, dorky movie can help me unwind and remind me to not take day to day stuff so seriously. What is your movie guilty pleasure? You enjoy it and like to watch it because it's fun, not because of its artistry or sparkling screenwriting.

One of mine is Legally Blonde.
Gnomes live ten times faster than humans. They're harder to see than a high-speed mouse. That's one reason why most humans hardly ever see them. The other is that humans are very good at not seeing things they know aren't there. And, since sensible humans know that there are no such things as people four inches high, a gnome who doesn't want to be seen probably won't be seen... Terry Pratchett

slidemansailor

• A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
Re: movie guilty pleasures
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 02:34:14 pm »

Mine was The Mask.

I laughed so hard it brought tears to my eyes.
I laughed till my stomach hurt.

My daughters laughed along with me, but insisted the movie "Wasn't THAT funny".
They were probably right, but I didn't care.  Gave me an awesome laugh when I needed one.

I'm a bit hesitant to see it again. I might find it isn't THAT funny... or worse, find it really is a dumb movie.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

FreeTraveler

• The Tireless Agorist - @AgoristDon
    • The Tireless Agorist
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 02:52:18 pm »

Legally Blonde is fun. The second one, where she takes on DC, is even more fun if you're of the mindset to hang out here at TMM. :D

Some other fun favorites with a good TMM slant:

Leap of Faith - Steve Martin in an amazing sendup of traveling evanglists is one of my major favorites. I never had much respect for Steve Martin until I saw this. I now consider him one of the prime satirists of the century. A movie for atheists and truly religious alike, but not recommended for fans of Jerry Falwell and his ilk. :D

Pirates of the Caribbean - Jack Sparrow making a joke of colonial government is good for a laugh.

Space Cowboys - 4 old farts blackmail NASA into sending them into space. Great performances by Clint Eastwood, Tommy Lee Jones, Donald Sutherland and James Garner, as well as a good supporting cast.

The Distinguished Gentleman - Eddie Murphy decides that since he's a con man, he'd make a great politician. It works out well, too.

My Fellow Americans - James Garner and Jack Lemmon are ex-presidents who bring down Dan Ackroyd, the current president.

Sahara - Pure escapist fantasy based on a book by Clive Cussler.

National Treasure 1 & 2 - a little history, a few puzzles, and even some conspiracy theory, all wrapped in a fun story line.

October Sky - young kid at the beginning of the space race builds his own rockets when everybody else thinks he's nuts.

Trading Places - Eddie Murphy and Dan Ackroyd take on the commodities market and a couple of old geezers who are trying to run their lives for a $1 bet.

Liar, Liar - Jim Carrey as a lawyer who loses the ability to lie. Great fun, watching a lawyer twist in the wind!

Just a few that came to mind off the top of my head.
The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest.

The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today.

dogsledder54

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 03:39:08 pm »

Dumb and Dumber. Those two guys are just so dumb.   ^_^
Airplane.    what can I say ?
Weekend at Bernie's. Mrs. V (the former Mrs. Cell  ^_^ ) thinks it is the funniest movie ever.
Caddyshack. Rodney Dangerfield, Chevy Chase, and Bill Murray. Nuff said.
Captain Ron.  ....man overboard ! ...hey swab ! get me another brewski ! ....
The Blues Brothers. 
Office Space. cracks me up
Death Race 2000.    extremely  silly but so funny

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 04:33:48 pm »

Zorro the Gay Blade! is pretty funny, particularly if you know California history.

Office Space is great, but it hits pretty close to the bone for me, so I usually
need at least 1 scotch before watching it.

Bear

"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

Dare2BFree

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 04:45:42 pm »

Office Space is great, but it hits pretty close to the bone for me, so I usually
need at least 1 scotch before watching it.

I dearly love that movie, but if I allow myself to think during it.... I end up crying.   :rolleyes:
If I had known that these days would have changed my life - I would have dressed better.   ~ me

No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.  ~ Judge Gideon J. Tucker

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 10:45:50 pm »

Dare2BFree,

Do you work in "IT"? :)

The first time I saw it, I was torn between laughing so
hard I couldn't breathe, and wanting to scream at the screen.

Folks, "Office Space" is not too much of an exaggeration of
what working in the Information Technology Dept of most
companies is like. You were warned.

Bear

"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 11:42:09 pm »

I liked the "hit" they did on the copier machine out in the field...

The Resident Evil series, very entertaining....

Remo Williams The Adventure Continues...even though they only made on movie in the first place..
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

http://tthelastcause.blogspot.com/

Dare2BFree

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 07:45:34 am »

Bear -

Yes, I used to work in IT in hardware/software repair and support.  How'd ya know?  :laugh:  I got to where I was about to blow up the building and thankfully an opportunity came where I could get out of the department and move to a  different location.  Now I'm just an admin assistant and a much happier person!  I will do some tech stuff on my own stuff  sometimes, but not very often now.  I just got to where I hated it so much.  I don't think I will ever do that type of stuff for pay again.  I'll stick to messing around with websites and such.... much less frustrating!

d2
If I had known that these days would have changed my life - I would have dressed better.   ~ me

No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.  ~ Judge Gideon J. Tucker

Ex-Squid

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 09:55:07 pm »

The Princess Bride. Kills me every time.
Jon.

"Better to have more thunder in the hand and less in the mouth."

Secret Six

• BANNED
  • S6
  • Clinging to his guns and religion in Bucks County
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 12:12:07 pm »

SLAP SHOT - The Hanson Brothers Rule !!!!

THE BIG LEBOWSKI - If Quentin Tarantino was a slacker druggie, this would be the type of film he would make !

RE-ANIMATOR - One of the best horror movies ever made

WARLOCK -  A 90's Horror Flick with Richard E. Grant, Julian Sands, and Lori Singer (Kassandra with a K !!!) which is so laughably ridiculous its good !!!

Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.  - Theodore Roosevelt

Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate; now what's going to happen to us with both a Senate and a House? - Will Rogers

dogsledder54

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 12:54:38 pm »

Oh yeah ! I forgot !

Puttin' on the foil, coach !

Klapton Isgod

• Long-Haired, Over-Fed, Leaping Gnome
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 02:42:19 pm »

Better Off Dead -- one of the funnier 80's teen angst comedies

Talledega Nights:  the Ballad of Ricky Bobby

This is Spinal Tap -- the quintessential "mockumentary"

Redheads Do It Better #9

/agree with posters above on Airplane and The Blues Brothers
"I got things under control, that's why people call me an extremist.  I'm autonomous.  I understand that I declare my independence every day."  Ted Nugent

"It is the conservative laissez- fairist, the man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, 'Limit yourself'; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian."  Murray Rothbard

Lisa Aenne

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 10:37:06 pm »

Klapton said:
Better Off Dead
  Is that the "I want my two dollars" movie?
This is Spinal Tap
  I thoroughly enjoy all of Christopher Guest's mockumentaries.  My favorite is Best in Show

I also like the dry, weird humor of The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.  I'd like to take a family photo with everyone wearing the blue suits, orange caps and the standard issue firearm.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 10:42:53 pm by Lisa Aenne »
Gnomes live ten times faster than humans. They're harder to see than a high-speed mouse. That's one reason why most humans hardly ever see them. The other is that humans are very good at not seeing things they know aren't there. And, since sensible humans know that there are no such things as people four inches high, a gnome who doesn't want to be seen probably won't be seen... Terry Pratchett

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 07:49:58 am »

The Hebrew Hammer always makes me laugh, I "know" I shouldn't, it just strikes me as funny everytime I watch it..... :laugh:

Big Trouble in Little China

Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

http://tthelastcause.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up