The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Little Heads Up and a Message  (Read 2940 times)

unstructuredreality

A Little Heads Up and a Message
« on: August 19, 2004, 01:15:41 am »

Not too sure if any of you have been keeping up with the usps lately but they've come up with a disturbing plan.  Harvesting commercial databases- something they've done for years on a seller basis- for your address information, outwardly to increase efficiency.  Expand upon our previous knowledge of "mission creep" and one can see where this is heading despite the good efforts of EPIC.  They did it in 1999 with the CMRA's and they will do more next week or monthe- Demand More Information to deliver mail and use it against us even if that information is not accurate.  Of all things, they decided to use commercial companies; the easiest to manipulate.

"The United States Postal Service has announced its intention to engage in a "Distribution Quality Improvement" (DQI) program where the government will use a commercially available name and address database to improve mail processing.[1] This backup system will be employed where addresses are inaccurate, incomplete, or illegible. Information available on the mailpiece will be matched against a commercially available database of names and addresses, and where a match if found, the USPS will spray an accurate delivery barcode onto the mailpiece. The USPS has articulated clear security and privacy standards for employment of DQI data once the information reaches the agency."

Here is the full link to EPIC
http://www.epic.org/privacy/postal/dqi_comment.html

I also want to briefly tell those who have emailed me in the last few days, the emails have been read but I have been stacked with work from all sides- Please be patient.  Within a couple of days, I will respond and thank you all for the kind words, acknowledements, and offers.  With knowledge and courage, we'll find our ways.  

Peace and Good Day

Plinker-MS

• Techie
  • Nobody in Particular
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 02:30:40 am »

I know that there is at least one postal database out there that thinks I am my dad. (and I am not a "Junior" either).

It all started when I was between jobs, and moved in with the folks for a few months.  When I found gainful employment and moved on, I filled out one of those "change of address" forms at the post office so that my mail would follow me.

I was a bit surprised around Christmas time, when I recieved a gift box of fruit that had been sent to my parents.  It had their name on it, and my address -- the purchaser had used their correct address when he ordered it, but the fruit company apparently trusted a commercial "address verification" database more than their own customer's delivery instructions.  

I have moved several times since then, and to this day I still receive junk mail addressed to my parents.

I shudder to think what will happen now that the USPS has gotten serious about "Distribution Quality Improvement"

BTW, the fruit was delicious.

Jac

• CPC? I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you...
    • http://www.russmo.com
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 02:49:32 am »

You ate your dad's fruit basket?!? SHAME ON YOU! :P

I'm pretty young, and I shy away from commercial database stuff as much as possible... hopefully, anything like this won't affect me much. <_<  
I have never regretted that I chose to "take the red pill." But there are days, just rarely, when the truth is so ugly, so brutal, so unmerciful, so relentless, that even if I wouldn't rip the truth from the wall socket and hurl it out the window to crash on the sidewalk below, I wouldn't mind if it featured a snooze button so we could savor just a few more moments in slumbered pretension and warm, fuzzy lies pulled snugly up over our heads.
--PSM

Plinker-MS

• Techie
  • Nobody in Particular
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 04:55:59 am »

You ate your dad's fruit basket?!? SHAME ON YOU! :P

Actually, my folks said I could have it.  What with the hassle and cost of re-shipping it to them and the risk of the fruit spoiling during (re)shipment.

Jebur27

• Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 07:17:32 am »

Actually, my folks said I could have it. 
Oh, sure.  That's what they all say.   :P  
There is only one thing that remains to us, that cannot be taken away: To act with courage and dignity and to stick to the ideals that have given meaning to life.
-Jawaharlal Nehru

There's no joke we can tell about the fedgov that they can't turn into an even more absurd truth about themselves.
-Claire Wolfe

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". -- Denis Diderot

Scarmiglione'

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 08:33:24 am »

When I moved recently, I put a forwarding address from our old house to our interim apartment, then left the "nobody lives in this apartment" notice in the apt mailbox for the duration.  When I moved into our new house, no forwarding address and a brand spanking new PO box in a neighboring city.  Oh geeze, you mean I signed up for my PO box with an ID that no longer has an accurate address on it?  Shucks.   Looks like my new address isn't on anyone's database, and doesn't have my name attached to it.  Gosh golly gee willikers.
We've built a world safe for fools, and are overrun by them.

Misfit

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 12:54:22 am »

Oh, the fun we could have messing with the postal service's database...We should all change our addresses every couple of months and then have it forwarded to someone else. My parents have been forwarding their mail to me every winter for the past few years when they go to Florida...well, sort of...they were having it forwarded to a mail service in Iowa who then would send it to whatever address they called in at the beginning of each week. It was funny to see one piece of mail mailed from Phoenix make a round trip journey of the US and right back to Arizona. Maybe I could send my mail to them. The good thing is that a search of myself online says I'm still in PA. Ok, if you think so...
Kramer had it right when he went to the post office and told them he wanted out...and you remember what they did to him...

Tracy

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 09:12:26 am »

When I moved to my homestead in the country, I got an address from the 911 service as there was no existing address. I didn't have to show any ID, just give a name. I didn't inform the PO; just put up a box and put the # on the box. When I started receiving mail, they delivered it and have done so ever since.
When I first moved, I opened a PO box. I had to show ID, SSN etc. After a year I decided to let it go. I had made the mistake of having the POB at the same PO that services my physical address. They left a notice in my mailbox that they have mail for "me" at "my" POB; and what did I want them to do with it? I threw away the notice and ignored it so as not to allow them to make an official connection.
To this day I receive no unsolicited mail at my homestead. I regularly go a week or more with no mail at all.
If this ever changes, I have more tricks up my sleeve. Consider this, for example: there is no law that says I can't rent and "move" to the cheapest, most run-down old housetrailer or whatever that I can rent for $50/mo because it's uninhabited (-able) and in the farthest corner of the poorest county near me. Then of course, I would put in a change-of-address, register my DL there if I'm gonna have one, etc.
Or, wait: I could rent a camping space from some farmer for even less; put up a mailbox, get an address from 911 (actually I could have just extrapolated a # and started using it) and pitch a cabin tent. The carrier would shake his head everytime he left mail there; but since when can the PO dictate what kind of dwelling we live in? :ph34r:  

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2004, 10:56:22 am »

The carrier would shake his head everytime he left mail there; but since when can the PO dictate what kind of dwelling we live in?

They can't, yet with the official or unofficial induction of postal workers into the homeland security snoopforce they might play snitch about one living in a cabin tent somewhere.

Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up